72

Forbidden Boys

Eunbi was shoved right into the American system pretty much right away, which meant she had no time to think about the life she’d had in Seoul as school and the need to learn English took up all her time. Eunbi, though she found it hard, also did everything to keep her busy so she wouldn’t have to think of Sehun. Her first days in the US, in a family she’d never before met, was hectic to say the least. It wasn’t all bad though, for she found a couple of friends at school. They were nice towards her and helped her out with the English language when she had troubles. Her English wasn’t that bad, but far from perfect. And to further keep herself occupied, Eunbi joined a debate club that met up several days a week to discuss different topic. She thought it was a good way to get a grasp of the culture. Not only that, but also to learn to be able to stand up for her beliefs and thoughts, something she hadn’t done at all before. It was always her mother who got her will through and Eunbi would find herself doing everything that was told. She wanted to change that. In fact. This whole ordeal would be the last time Eunbi listened to her mother. Once high school was over she’d do whatever she wanted.

 

But despite being busy, Eunbi could still find herself think about Sehun. She wondered what he was up to, if he was doing okay in school. There was something else that always kept her up a little longer at night. Eunbi couldn’t stop thinking about the letter she’d placed on his bed before she left. Had he read it? She hoped so, as it described her feelings for him and the decision she’d been forced to take. There wasn’t a day that went by that he didn’t cross her mind.

 

And as a way to ease her thoughts, Eunbi wrote him letters. Some of them were discarded in the trashcan when she noticed how pathetic she sounded. Eunbi saw the letters as a way to communicate with Sehun, to remind him that she loved him. It was easier that way in comparison to a phone call. She didn’t dare call him in fear that she would break down upon hearing his voice. His voice that soothed her when she was sad, that comforted her and said those three heart fluttering words were now something she couldn’t take. Sehun, whom she loved above anything else, was on the other side of the world and all Eunbi dared to do was send him letters filled with emotionless words that described her new life. She was a coward in that sense.

 

Eunbi tried her hardest in everything else though, during school, amongst her friends, and at club activities. But she was never truly happy.

 

Time passed and days turned into weeks, and weeks into months. All the letters she’d sent never received any replies and Eunbi began to accept the fact that he didn’t want anything to do with her. Devastated, she decided to stop with the letters and instead focus on her studies. Eunbi realized it was for the best. But even though her contact with Sehun no longer existed, she still had Ahbin. To get any information about Sehun wasn’t possible for her friend transferred schools not long after Eunbi moved. Her parents didn’t want their daughter to be around Sehun as they saw him as bad influence. In fact. Ahbin received quite the punishment after her parents found out, Eunbi could still not figure out how, that she’d helped Eunbi and Sehun when they were on the run. Maybe that was for the best. To not know what Sehun was up to.

 

Her mother was also a person she barely heard anything from. Not that Eunbi complained. It was more of a relief actually, and the few times they did talk to one another it was entirely school related. Never did her mother ask how she was doing and if everything was alright. Not that Eunbi expected anything else. When had the older woman ever cared? Work still took up most of her mother’s time and it certainly did not get any better when Eunbi moved. It only got worse. It’d even reached a point where Eunbi feared her mother would get sick. Her worrisome words were met with deaf ears though, as the older reassured her that there was nothing to be distressed about.

 

She wasn’t all sad though, about the lack of contact with her mother because she still had her grandmother, who called every week to make sure she was doing okay. Kyungsoo, too, phoned her once in awhile. And though she knew him the least, Eunbi found it easier to talk to him. Maybe because he was around her age. And because he didn’t judge her. Never did he complain or try to reason with her when she mentioned Sehun. Instead he listened and let her talk. Her grandmother listened as well. But it wasn’t really the same even though she too, came with suggestions and tips.

 

Eunbi couldn’t say her feelings for Sehun faded. But ten months after she’d left Seoul she noticed a difference. Sehun was still there during the difficult moments when she wanted comfort, when something troubled her. But he didn’t invade her mind every waking minute like he used to and though it hurt to admit, Eunbi found it quite relieving. And during the occasions he did make himself known, she tried to reassure herself that he was doing alright and that he was taking care of himself. Shallow thoughts like that were about as much as Eunbi could take without becoming all emotional. It worked most of the time, but not always and she could find herself falling asleep completely devastated and tear-eyed.

 

A year, and around the time she was about to start her senior year, did Eunbi receive the news that her mother and stepfather were divorcing. Eunbi wasn’t sure whether she was supposed to celebrate at the fact that their marriage was over, or to be sad that she might never see Sehun again. Relief and sorrow mixed together to create a feeling she was all to familiar with, and to make matters worse her mother didn’t make it any easier as she forbade Eunbi to take contact with either of the three males. She hadn’t talked to them since she left due to various reasons. But such words certainly did not make it easier on Eunbi, who’d already decided where she stood in this. In other means. She couldn’t care less what her mother said and ignored the warning just like she’d agreed on. Not that Eunbi thought the warning was necessary seeing as she hadn’t heard from Sehun in a year. And just like that she wanted to cry. It even went so far that she picked up her phone and was ready to dial Sehun’s number. Eunbi hesitated at the last second, worry eating away at her, before she threw the device back down on the bed. One year without as much as a word from his side and she was about to give in. She didn’t. Luckily. Eunbi couldn’t even bring herself to think of the consequences that would have followed. Living in a state were nothing was confirmed, where it was uncertain if Sehun had moved on, was somewhat easier to live with than having him confirm her biggest fear. That he’d gotten over her.

 

If the consequences of a phone call worried her, Eunbi wondered how it would’ve been if she went along with Sehun’s suggestion that day at the apartment of Ahbin’s older brother. Her mother’s speech from the airport when she was leaving for the US made itself known at the thought. I only want what’s best for you because I don’t want you to end up like me. Pregnant at a young age and unable to make ends meet. You know of the struggles your father caused when he ran away, and I don’t want that to happen to you for you deserve so much more than that. You’ll meet other boys so there’s no need to fret over Sehun, was something she’d said just before they parted ways. Eunbi disagreed though, with the statement her mother tried to reason with. Sehun deserved more than that, deserved more than what he got.

 

A few months later her mother was back at it again, proclaiming with far too much excitement how she’d met a new man. He was amazing apparently, and had a son around Eunbi’s age. She wasn’t sure why that last part was so important to mention. Maybe because her mother feared she’d go after him. Eunbi hoped that wasn’t the reason or she would be pretty disappointed. It was a bit disturbing as well, as if the older woman thought her relationship with Sehun was nothing but a joke.

 

It was not. Never had she seen their relationship as childsplay. And in a few months time when she was back in Seoul, Eunbi would meet up with Sehun. She’d already promised herself to do everything in her power to show how much she loved him.

 

Mid-terms were approaching and in difference to how badly prepared she’d been during her freshman year, Eunbi made sure to study hard. There were no room for mistakes now when the entrance exams for University were just around the corner. Eunbi’s previous fear of not knowing where she wanted to continue her studies were long gone, and instead replaced with an ever growing confidence. In fact. Her time in the US had done her well. Something that showed more and more every passing day. The weak mindset of hers were close to gone and Eunbi could feel how she’d grown as a person. As an individual with own thoughts and beliefs. Not those her mother forced on her. The everyday progress served as a reminder for Eunbi too, and she couldn’t understand how she’d allowed herself to be pushed around so much. Not only by her mother. But practically everyone.

 

Those days were over now.

 

Eunbi came across the news a few weeks later that Yixing would be arriving in the US and Los Angeles to compete in a competition. It was Ahbin who delivered the information and she decided to make the short journey over to the stadium where it was held. Eunbi found herself a bit overwhelmed by the size of it all when she finally arrived. But realized after having read a banner hanging along one side of the stadium that it was the World Championship. Yixing would compete in the World Championship. The surreality of it didn’t sink in until Eunbi sat there, watching him swim. He was fast. Faster than she’d ever seen him be. Spending the past one and a half year at one of the best Sports Universities in China must’ve done him good. And it came as no surprise when Yixing ended up grabbing a bronze medal in butterfly and silver in freestyle. Proud by his performance, Eunbi clapped her hands. He must have seen her on his way out because he motioned for her to come closer. And so she moved over to the railings that separated the area were only the contestants were allowed and the area for the spectators. Yixing smiled as he greeted her with a bright hello. Eunbi replied, but with slight less enthusiasm, as she took notice that he hadn’t changed at all. Their moment was briskly interrupted by one of the personnel working at the event, to which he asked if she could wait for him. Having nothing else to do, Eunbi agreed.

 

Yixing showed half an hour later, dressed in comfortable clothes and with towel dried hair. He sat down next to her with the explanation that he couldn’t go anywhere until the medal ceremony was over. Eunbi understood and made no further remark on the fact that people sitting around them could listen in. Well. Those who knew Korean to be exact. Yixing lead the conversation and asked how she’d been doing, and if she had any contact with anyone in Korea besides Ahbin. Eunbi didn’t shy away from the questions and instead told him how it was. Her straightforwardness came as a surprise for Yixing. But in a positive way. And though he hadn’t expected Eunbi to be so open about her problems, he was glad she trusted him enough to be truthful. It meant a lot to Yixing and he felt relieved that she, besides her troubles, were doing more than alright. He’d be lying if he said he hadn’t been worried when he first heard of the decision to send Eunbi to the US. He thought she wouldn’t fend well. But she’d proven him wrong and he was ever so grateful for that.

 

For some reason their conversation drifted over to Sehun. A topic she wasn’t so sure she wanted to talk about. But Yixing was able to speak before she was given time to tell him. And she was taken aback when he began to reveal all the things he’d heard from Kai. The latter still lived in Seoul and seemed, at least by what Yixing was telling her, to know quite a lot about what was going on. Eunbi’s heart swelled as he explained how Sehun had cleaned up his act. He’d started taking better care of his education and was, according to Kai, now enrolled at a University in Seoul. That was more than she ever could have hoped for considering how scared she’d been that he would just let everything collapse when she moved. It wasn’t the case now and she wished him all success. But at the same time Eunbi couldn’t hide the fact that worry was eating away at her. There was a possibility that he’d moved on and that terrified her. More so because she knew deep in her heart that Sehun was everything she wanted.

 

They parted ways later that night after they’d grabbed something to eat and Eunbi was left in Los Angeles whilst Yixing returned to Shanghai. His visit gave her some real homesickness and she began to count down the days till she was able to get back to Seoul. But there were other obligations she needed to take care of before she went home. Midterms were first, only to be followed by the entrance exam for Hanyang University. She’d already set her eyes on their International Studies program over a year ago and had since then done her very best to increase her chances to be accepted. And all that was left was for Eunbi to ace the exam. In fact. She didn’t have a backup plan and depended solely on this opportunity. Therefore did it not come as a surprise when her heart raced as she stepped inside the classroom a couple of weeks later. She’d been allowed to take the exam at her high school since she was unable to make the trip over to South Korea. Her homeroom teacher kept a watchful eye on her during the hours it took. And despite the nervousness, Eunbi thought she did well.

 

Her mother called a few days later and announced that she would be paying a visit. Eunbi was mighty delighted, or not. She’d rather not have the older woman coming over. And for more than one reason. Instead of fighting it, Eunbi let herself be convinced that nothing bad would happen. But it seemed like it was destined to end bad as her mother’s luggage disappeared somewhere on the way between Incheon International airport and LAX. The unfortunate events lasted throughout the two weeks the visit lasted. So it was with relief Eunbi took farewell of her mother that rainy afternoon. Your room is waiting for you back at home, was the last words she heard before her mother her heel and headed for the security control.

 

Eunbi wasn’t sure whether she was supposed to laugh at the fact that the woman thought she would go back to live with her. It’d never crossed Eunbi’s mind actually, that she would live together with her mother during the time she attended University. No. She’d already decided on a dormitory on the Hanyang campus. Quiet and without having to bother about her mother’s problems. It was the best solution.

 

The last months of the semester passed rather uneventful and Eunbi graduated with almost perfect grades. To say she was happy would be an understatement. Especially since she’d, one month earlier, received the news that she was accepted into Hanyang University.


Packing her belongings ended up becoming harder said than done and Eunbi had to buy another bag to fit with all the things she’d bought during her two year long stay in the country. But it mattered less because the day she’d waited so long for was finally here, and Eunbi could barely contain her emotions as she thanked her relatives for their hospitality. They’d taken such good care of her the past two years. It wasn’t just the goodbye that affected her emotionally. The fact that she would be back in South Korea did as well.