68

Forbidden Boys

Eunbi sat on her bed reading a book when the door to her room opened. She didn’t need to look up to know who it was and soon enough, Sehun sat next to her. His presence caused her heart to beat faster, and her cheeks flushed when she felt his fingers brush against her arm. Something he continued to do until Eunbi glanced up from the book and looked at him. A small smile graced his lips and she found herself at ease over the fact that he didn’t seem as devastated as he’d done the previous week. There’d been a lot going on and Eunbi knew Sehun took his brother’s suicide attempt hard. But the most striking change was in fact their parents decision to take a break from their work. It definitely came as a surprise to all of them when it was decided. In response, the two of them explained that they wanted to be home and look out for them. For all three of them. Eunbi could still remember her reaction when she first heard their explanation. Surprise would be an understatement of what she’d felt.

 

“I’m bored.” She closed the book and placed it back on the nightstand. Eunbi wasn’t sure what they could do and that would ease his boredom. They couldn’t do just anything since their parents were home. Sehun did obviously not care too much about that when he leaned closer and let his lips connect with the skin right below her ear. It tickled and Eunbi had to suppress a moan that threatened to slip when he nipped his way along her jaw. That anyone might walk in on them was something she paid no attention to when he claimed her lips in a kiss that sent shivers down her spine.  

 

Their moment was briskly interrupted though, as her cell phone rang. Eunbi pulled back, if not a bit unwillingly, before she reached out for the device and answered the call. Ahbin seemed rushed for she spoke in such a rush that Eunbi had no chance to follow along. It was impossible to try and understand what the other girl was saying, which meant Ahbin had to repeat herself. Whatever made Ahbin so overwhelmed was left a mystery because the door to her bedroom was flung open with such force it collided with the wall. Speechless by what happened Eunbi could only stare at her mother, who stood in the doorway.

 

“You two. Downstairs. Now.” Eunbi knew something was wrong and without further ado said a quick goodbye to Ahbin. The other girl didn’t get a chance to reply for Eunbi had already ended the call and placed the device down. Sehun too, sensed that something was wrong. He gave the younger girl a hurried glance as he slipped off the bed and stood up. Eunbi followed suit, her gaze flickering between the floor and her mother. That there seemed to be a problem was rather obvious. But exactly what kind was left unspoken until they got downstairs. Her stepfather was already present as they entered the living room, where they were told to take a seat. Eunbi glanced back at Sehun before she placed herself sat down on the couch. Sehun on the other hand ignored the request and remained standing.

 

Nervous of what was to come, Eunbi picked at her nails. She did not like the situation at all. And it certainly did not get better when her mother spoke. The older explained that she’d received a call from Ahbin’s parents. Eunbi found herself panicking and at the same time wondering if Ahbin’s call had something to do with this. Had Ahbin done anything that might involve Eunbi and Sehun? Was that why her friend called, to give Eunbi a heads up? And just as that thought crossed her mind, her mother dropped the bomb.

 

“Apparently they have a surveillance camera at their front door. . .” Eunbi didn’t need to hear more to understand where this was going. Her mother however, continued and revealed that the said camera also recorded sound. Eunbi knew what this meant, something that Sehun did not. He had no idea about the conversation she’d had with Ahbin during the latter’s birthday party. A conversation that exposed her relationship with Sehun out in the open. She hadn’t even noticed the camera and thus thought Ahbin was the only one who heard.

 

“Do you know what Ahbin’s mother told me,” It was more of a statement than a question, and Eunbi avoided looking at her mother as the older spoke. She knew for certain now that her mother and stepfather knew about her and Sehun. It was just a matter of seconds before Sehun too, found that out.

 

“That you and Sehun have a relationship. Isn’t that funny? Because as far as we know, you two can barely stand each other. We told them that of course, thinking that they’d gotten it all wrong. Turns out, after we’d watched the recording, that we were the ones being wrong.” The truth was out and there was no way they could deny it. Not when they had the conversation recorded. In other means, Eunbi and Sehun had no other option but to admit their relationship and the fact that they were together. And just like Eunbi feared, her mother did not take it very well. Neither did Sehun’s father. It was kind of expected though, seeing as they were siblings by law. It did not matter that they weren’t blood related.

 

“You’re dating each other, is that what you are saying?” The two adults looked at one another, as if they needed confirmation that they’d heard right. And if they had any doubts, Sehun sure took care of that when he confirmed that they were indeed dating. Eunbi was a little more hesitant about the whole ordeal and therefore kept silent. Of course she’d known their secret would be revealed some day. But she wondered if she was ready for this. Ready for the questions. People would obviously not understand their relationship and she feared they were going to be disgusted.

 

“No. Just no. This is not true. You guys are only trying to make us angry. This is just something you’re doing to get back at us.” It was painful having to listen to her own mother saying that. She really thought they were kidding. Sehun must’ve felt the same as Eunbi because she saw his lips form into a frown. He was not happy.

 

“It’s not a joke.” He spoke through gritted teeth, irritated at the adults. He disliked that they were not taking this seriously. Then again. It was no real surprise either, seeing as neither of them paid attention to anything but themselves. Eunbi and he could probably make-out in front of them and they would still doubt their words. Frustrated by this, Sehun decided that he no longer cared what anyone thought. He couldn’t care less what their parents said as he stood up, walked over to Eunbi, and kissed her. Panic-stricken by the sudden action, she tensed.

 

The kiss was briskly cut short though, when Sehun’s father stepped in and pushed his son away. What happened next came as a shock to Eunbi, for her mother pulled her by the arm and forced her into the kitchen. She was separated from Sehun in a matter of seconds and Eunbi did not like expression on her mother’s face. The older woman was fuming.

 

“Tell me this isn’t true. Tell me you are only trying to get back at us.” Eunbi couldn’t do that. She could not lie anymore. Not now. Not when they had the conversation with Ahbin on tape. The kiss from just moments ago was yet another reason as to why she no longer could lie. It was that and the fact that she no longer felt the need to keep it a secret. It was simply a matter of time before words would spread and everyone would know. Eunbi tried to make that clear but her mother refused to listen. The older woman did not want to acknowledge that her daughter and stepson was in a relationship.

 

“How long have this been going on?” Without sparing a thought of what might happen, Eunbi spilled the details.

 

“Several weeks.” She avoided her mother’s gaze as she spoke.

 

Silence followed and she could hear how Sehun and his father talked in the living room. The latter sounded as upset as her mother. Which was not good. And it did not take long for the conversation to deteriorate. The tone grew increasingly more worrisome and Eunbi found herself wonder what would happen now. It was obvious none of the adults liked their relationship. But what could they do? They lived under the same roof. It wasn’t like they could forbid them to see each other. Right? Eunbi felt uneasy about what was to come. Something that was not made easier when her mother told her to stay put whilst she herself left the room. Where the older woman disappeared off to became apparent when she heard an argument break out between her mother and stepfather. The topic of their conversation was no secret and Eunbi slumped down in one of the chairs as she listened. And as the two adults argued, Sehun sneaked into the kitchen.

 

He put a finger to his lips, as if to tell her to keep quiet, before he strode over and planted a featherlight kiss on her cheek. Eunbi’s eyelids fluttered close for a moment, and when she looked up, Sehun was leaning against the kitchen counter. His all so usual frown was evident and she heaved a sigh, bothered by the sudden turn of events.

 

“They are not going to let this slide.” Yet another sigh slipped past her lips. It was rather obvious because she knew her mother would do everything in her power to split them apart. It was just a matter of time. Sehun was not so certain. Not after his argument with his father, where he’d explained that they were pretty much adults and could take care of themselves. How neither his father or stepmother had to worry. Whether their conversation had any effect, Sehun couldn’t know for sure. But he was hopeful. He had to be.

 

“They can’t do that.” Oh. Eunbi knew that that was exactly what’s going to happen.

 

“If my mother gets her will through, it’ll happen.” There was no doubt about that. And minutes later, her mother and stepfather entered the kitchen. Both of them with similar expressions. They were not pleased and Eunbi glanced at Sehun. She was terrified of what they were going to say and do.

 

“Go pack your clothes.” What? Eunbi stared at her mother, not really grasping the words that’d been spoken. Why did she have to pack her clothes? Unable to understand what was going on, she remained seated. It didn’t take long though, before she realized the seriousness of the situation for her mother grabbed onto her arm and pulled her away. Eunbi was dragged upstairs and ordered to pack down as much clothes she could fit in her backpack.

 

“What’s going on, mom?” She needed some kind of answer as to why she was supposed to pack her bag. Was she going somewhere? Was that it? Was her own mother sending her away? Eunbi spun around and once again asked what was happening. As she did, Sehun appeared in the doorway. He didn’t like where this was going and without a second thought stepped up and placed himself next to Eunbi. The relief of having him close did not last long and before she knew it, her mother was telling Sehun to get out. But Sehun being Sehun he refused.

 

“I’m not leaving. And neither is she.”


“I’m her mother and as far as I’m concerned, I decide what she’ll do till the day she turn nineteen.”