45

Forbidden Boys

 

Eunbi woke up feeling ecstatic and nervous at the same time. It was finally Christmas and the said girl jumped out of bed, a smile evident on her lips as she began with her daily morning routine. Shower, dress and eat breakfast. She was going about her day just like usual. Everything was like any other day, with the exception of the house now being filled with various Christmas decorations. Even the tree was in place with its ornaments and lights.

 

Eunbi was so excited that she’d forgotten all about her cell phone and the possible text message or missed call. In fact. It wasn’t until Sehun arrived downstairs, still sleepy and with half-lidded eyes, that she remembered the device. Mostly due to the fact that the older male was ‘ing pissed off’, his words, because he’d received a text message earlier in the morning.

 

She darted upstairs to retrieve her phone and wondered at the same time if she could call her mother and ask what time they would be coming home. A thought that was dismissed rather quickly though, once she’d read through a message her mother sent a few hours earlier. A heavy snowstorm was causing delays and their flight had been grounded. The older woman also wrote that they were unsure when, and if, the flight would be able to take off. Eunbi’s Christmas spirit took a great blow by the information and she felt her mood drop. The celebration she’d been looking forward to would might not happen.

 

With a frown, she headed back down. Eunbi was so distraught by it all that she didn’t even hear when Sehun tried to talk to her. She even walked right past him, still so deep in thought that she paid no attention to his words. Sehun found himself slightly irritated by it. But let it go and walked into the kitchen to eat. Unfortunately for him, the cereals were gone and the fridge contained nothing he wanted. The ordeal fueled his irritation and it didn’t take long before he rummaged through the kitchen in search for things to eat. A task that should’ve been easy if it hadn’t been for that the cupboards were surprisingly empty. There were barely anything eatable and if he did manage to find something, it was old and gross.

 

On the way out of the kitchen, Sehun saw something he hadn’t seen before. Some sort of flower was hanging over the doorway. It looked weird and he was just about to reach up and touch it when Eunbi appeared, thus causing him to stop mid-action.

 

“Don’t touch it. It’ll fall down.” her heart skipped a beat and she rushed forward to stop him from whatever he was about to do.

 

“Why is that thing even hanging there?” Sehun stated whilst he stepped back and let his arm fall to his side. He didn’t know what it was and why she’d placed it in such a place. As far as he knew, flowers were supposed to stand in a vase or a pot. Not hanging from the doorway. Eunbi however, looked up at him, surprised and shocked at the same time.

 

“Because it’s a mistletoe. It’s supposed to be there.” it wasn’t like his expression gave him away or anything, but it certainly seemed like he had no idea what a mistletoe was. That he changed subject sort of confirmed that thought, too.

 

“I’m going out.” he stepped around Eunbi, who stared after him as he disappeared towards the hall. The rustle of clothes soon followed and she frowned when the door shut close after him. Had she made him upset? She shook her head. Sehun wouldn’t get angry over such a petty thing. It wasn’t like him. Even so, the thought lingered even after she’d convinced herself that everything was fine. Eunbi tried her best to ignore the ordeal and returned to the couch and the cartoon that she’d been watching. It worked okay. But only till the show ended and she checked the clock. An hour had passed already and Sehun were yet to get back.

 

A sigh rolled off her lips. This was definitely not how she’d imagined Christmas to be. She was all alone, something that would’ve been okay any other day. But not this one. Her mother and stepfather was stuck in another country due to a snowstorm. Sehun was out and Luhan in Thailand. Her mood dropped further. The whole thing was so depressing that she buried her face into the pillow lying on the couch.

 

“This is so unfair.” she said, the words nothing more than a mumble. Past memories flashed inside her head. They were all Christmas celebrations that’d ended up well. And then there was now. Today. Nothing worked out to her favour and Eunbi was starting to believe she’d done something wrong. Unconsciously, she punched the backrest. The action surprised her, for she realized just how upset she was. Eunbi was irritated and annoyed and angry at them all for abandoning her. And though she would never admit it, she wished Sehun was there.

 

Right then, her cell phone rang and Eunbi sat up to retrieve the phone from its place on the living room table. Hope filled her once she heard her mother’s voice on the other end. Hope that died pretty fast because she learned that the flight was cancelled. They wouldn’t be able to get home until the snowstorm passed.

 

“So you’re not coming home today?” Eunbi asked even though she knew the answer. But a part of her still hoped they would find a way.

 

“No. But we’ve booked seats on a flight tomorrow. So hopefully we’ll be home then.” and so it was confirmed. They wouldn’t be home in time and for the first time in her life, Eunbi would have to celebrate Christmas without her mother. The only question now was whether she would be all alone. Whether the day would pass by just like that, without a single thing to remember in the future. Eunbi was at loss of words and instead listened to her mother, who explained that she was sorry for everything.

 

“Yeah.” she did her best in order to not sound so upset. It worked because all her mother did was to bid goodbye and the call ended. Eunbi sighed, put the phone away, and then sprawled herself out on the couch again. She stared up at the ceiling and listened to the kitchen clock and the seconds that vanished. To say she was frustrated would be an understatement. But just as Eunbi thought it couldn’t get worse, the front door flew open. Sehun was back.

 

She sat up in a hurry and tried her very best to look unconcerned. Eunbi didn’t want him to think she’d missed him. A rather ridiculous thought considering how depressed she’d been just moments earlier. What confused her more though, was that it bothered her. She became annoyed by herself. That she was trying to seem unfazed. A mindset that suddenly irritated her wouldn’t even have been a concern a few months back. She’d changed. It was obvious.

 

Sehun interrupted her little mental battle when he entered the living room, cradling a box in his arms. She looked at it, curious as to what he’d bought, only to raise an eyebrow once she saw it was the new playstation. He didn’t look like a person who liked video games. And as far as she knew, she’d never seen him play before.  

 

“Is this why you took so long?” Sehun found himself amused by Eunbi’s words. Not only because she seemed upset, but also because he liked how it made him feel.

 

“Your mother said Christmas was a big deal for you. But yeah, they aren’t coming home today so I thought we could play video games instead.” he shrugged his shoulders like it wasn’t a big deal. Truth was, he was a bit uneasy for he wasn’t sure what she’d think of it. If she would be alright to play video games on Christmas eve.

 

“Oh.” Eunbi nodded and moved about to look as he unboxed the game console. She didn’t know what else to say and therefore remained silent as Sehun worked on getting it all set in. What they did was of no importance to Eunbi. At least not anymore. So when he handed her a control, she grabbed a hold of it and waited for him to start the game. The images of a partly burnt city showed up on the screen and she looked at Sehun, who’d placed himself down next to her on the couch, as if asking him what kind of game it was. The answer came a moment later when a gunshot rippled through and caused Eunbi to let out a low shriek.

 

“Why did you buy this?” she gave him a hurried glance before she turned her attention back to the tv and the game he’d started. Smoke rose from the landscape, gunshots echoed and there was barely any signs of humans. Sehun explained that I’d looked fun, which Eunbi found highly debatable considering she saw no charm with a post apocalyptic wargame. Then again. He was rather odd to begin with. And despite her concern with the game, she went along and played. It was a bit violent and scary. But nonetheless okay even though Sehun needed to help her a few times.

 

Their perception of time was nonexistent though, because the two of them completely forgot about everything else. It wasn’t until Eunbi’s stomach growled for the umpteenth time that she decided it was time to eat. Sehun took a break, too, and it was not long before they’d rummaged through the fridge and the food their parents left them. The both of them were so eager to get back to the game that they ate in a hurry. It was rather comical in a way. How a video game, something she normally didn’t play, caused her to behave like this. But it did and Eunbi raced to the living room to resume playing once she was finished eating. Sehun did as well.

 

Nothing else mattered. Nothing but the game was important and the girl couldn’t hide her smile as they continued from where they’d paused. Eunbi wasn’t even disappointed anymore that her mother was not there. Sehun on the other hand, saw the day as any other day and couldn’t care less about the whereabouts of his father. He was relieved actually, about not having to spend Christmas together with the old man. Not to mention Luhan, who’s last minute trip to Thailand couldn’t have been more well-timed.


“Kill it, kill it, kill it.” Eunbi was a bit too excited maybe, for she was quite violent with the control and the buttons received a rather harsh treatment. And it was about then, as Sehun watched her play, that he decided this was better than any Christmas gift.

~~~

Author’s Rant
I normally don’t suggest songs. But these two are just awesome and I love them XD
VIXX & LC9