The Tree House

Drabble Drop

 

A/N: This one kinda but whatever.

 


 

 

Perhaps it was Baekhyun’s incessant begging, or maybe it was his father’s boredom, but he now had a state of the art tree house sitting in the huge maple tree in his backyard.  As an only child, the novelty of the tree house quickly decreased and gathered dust—Baekhyun spent more days inside his actual house on the Internet or working on homework, or reading. His father never said anything to him, knowing that this would happen.

 

The tree house sat up there in the towering tree, waiting for someone to use it. Years passed by, Baekhyun grew older and made friends. Some came and went, but there was one who stuck around, Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol was something else. He was a strange one, and not very liked by many of the kids in his class. He was known for his high-pitched voice K-8th grade, but once he hit puberty…what a drop in his voice. His laugh was obnoxious, as was his ever-changing hairstyle. Chanyeol like to keep his hair orange, bright orange, like the sun in the morning. Chanyeol always seemed to smile no matter what was going on. Sure, he kinda seemed like a ditz on the outside, but if you really got to know Chanyeol, you’d find out he’s actually a genius.

 

Baekhyun could be described as Chanyeol’s polar opposite. Always moody, always serious, forever sassy. Sure he smiled from time to time, especially around Chanyeol, but if you managed to piss Baekhyun off, well then you’ve really evoked an ire from the petite young man. Baekhyun was about a head shorter than Chanyeol, but that doesn’t mean anything.  Baekhyun was bright, very knowledgeable, but he didn’t test well, something he always beat himself up about.

 

One day, after some intense rounds of post-study/homework video games, Chanyeol was staring out the window, focused on the huge maple in Baekhyun’s back yard.

 

“You have a tree house?”


“What?”

 

“A tree house?”

 

“…oh yeah!”

 

“So…?”


“I convinced my dad to build that for me when I was really little, haven’t used it since.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“We can go in it if you want.”

 


 

Chanyeol liked that idea. Baekhyun did too. They climbed the ladder, carefully.

 

“So this is it.”

 

“Wow you must’ve been really little because I can barely sit up straight.”

 

Baekhyun giggled at the sight of Chanyeol trying to squeeze his long limbs into the tiny tree house.

 

“Hey human pretzel, I don’t think you’ll fit.”

 

“Whad’ya call me?”

 

“Human pretzel…I mean, look at your self.” Baekhyun snapped a photo of Chanyeol twisted and contorted on his iPhone and showed his best friend.

 

“Yeah okay, ow. I want out.” Chanyeol mumbled, trying to untangle himself from his current position.

 

Baekhyun climbed down the ladder, waiting for Chanyeol at the bottom of the tree.

 

 

“Jeez, why didn’t you warn me?”

 

“Well, I did say I was really little, so I just assumed…?”

 

Chanyeol playfully hit Baekhyun on the arm, “You’re the one who said we could go in it!”

 

“Oh really? Whoops, maybe you shouldn’t be so tall.”

 

“Those are my genes, I can’t help that.” Bakehyun giggled. “What are you giggling about?” Chanyeol took a step forward toward the smaller male.

 

“N-nothing…”

 

“Oh really?”

 

“Really.” Chanyeol was flush against Baekhyun’s face, slightly bent over to make up for the height difference. Baekhyun looked into Chnayeol’s eyes, eyebrows furrowed.

 

“W-wh-what are you doing Channie?” Chanyeol smiled, his bottom lip.

 

“Just something—“ That something had to wait, however.

 

“Is Chanyeol staying for dinner?!” Baekhyun’s mother cried out from the kitchen window; Baekhyun jumped and turned around, nearly giving Chanyeol a bloody nose in the process.

“Y-yeah, I think so!”