Chapter 4

Not Your Cure

The lines are used to depict a passage of time.


Two weeks went by with Infinite promoting in Japan and you lived for every night when Woohyun would call. He’d been true to his word and promptly at 12am his call would come. It didn’t matter how long or short the calls were, just being able to hear the other’s voice was enough to get them through the next day.

However, as the time stretched to a month, Woohyun began to call more often. Sometimes you’d notice a missed call coming out of the shower or after finishing a day of classes. It surprised you that Woohyun had the time to call you that often, but who was complaining? Then, as more time passed, Woohyun’s calls became much more frequent, at least 5 times a day, and often if you didn’t answer, he’d leave a slew of text messages demanding to know why you weren’t answering. When you questioned him, he’d just reply, “You’re the only one I trust to stay.”

You were puzzled with his replies, but you let it go just thinking the stress of promotions was getting too much.


Japanese promotions had finally ended and Infinite was back home, Woohyun was finally back. You were immensely happy and for the first little while you didn’t realize he was still acting odd. Then you started noticing that he still called multiple times a day, always asking where you were, what you were doing, seemingly normal behaviour, but it seemed different with Woohyun. You ended up dismissing it to the fact that the relationship was progressing and the over protectiveness was a result of that.

Months passed in this style. Woohyun’s weird behaviour became normal and was pushed to the back of your mind. The only time you would think about it was when he’d say “you’re the only one I trust to stay”, “I can trust only you”, “promise me you’ll never leave”, etc. But you tried not to dwell on it too long because if you asked Woohyun about his behaviour, he’d be vague and refuse to answer or if you kept bugging him, you’d end up in a fight.

New Year’s came and a start for new beginnings. Woohyun introduced you to his family and from then on your relationship became more serious. At first it started with a promise ring because Woohyun swore that one day he’d marry you and you had no objection to that, you both felt that the other was the one. A few weeks later, Woohyun asked you to move to the same apartment building. He wasn’t allowed to officially move out from Infinite’s dorm, but with you having an apartment there, he’d be able to stay over and it would provide you with the privacy unavailable in their dorm. It was a serious commitment and it scared you a bit, but as Woohyun trusted you implicitly, you felt the same toward him.

It turned out that was the best decision. You saw more of Woohyun… And Infinite of course, but your time alone with him increased exponentially. Sometimes Woohyun would sleep over and you loved snuggling into his arms. The best mornings would be when you’d wake up to him when he hadn’t been there when you fell asleep.

This happiness was not to last though. A few days after Infinite’s final concert in Seoul, scandal hit. Woohyun had appeared on a variety show and said some careless words, which to his credit were harmless, but netizens took offense. Backlash followed and Woohyun’s anti fans really went the extra mile in being cruel.

The first you heard of it was when Woohyun banged into your apartment disturbing your lunch. Startled, you start to stand up, but Woohyun reaches you first and grabs you in a hug so tight all the breath rushed from your lungs. You stood in his embrace silently, but when his grip on you loosened, you push back a little and stare at his face. “What’s wrong Hyun?” you whisper.

Woohyun just shook his head and gathered you close to his chest again. Awkwardly, you start to guide him to the sofa and sit down on his lap so your embrace wouldn’t be broken. The only sound Woohyun would make is when he mumbled into your hair the words, “You’re the only one who will stay. You’re the only one I can trust.”

After an hour like that, with still no explanation from Woohyun, you tried again, “Woohyun, tell me what happened? Is it something bad?” Again, Woohyun refused to answer. Slightly exasperated, you carefully take his cell phone and call the one person who would know for sure, Sunggyu.

When he picked up, Sunggyu spoke immediately, “Woohyun, get your back to the dorm right now! Running away isn’t going to solve anything.”

Before he could continue with his tirade, you interrupt, “Sunggyu oppa, it’s actually me.”

“_____? Oh thank goodness he’s with you, the idiot just ran off after hearing the news.”

“Umm… Oppa, could you come up? Woohyun’s refusing to tell me anything.”

You heard a deep sigh and some muttering, catching only a few words. “Idiot… Selfish… Leaving… Mess…” Finally, you heard a coherent sentence. “Alright, I’ll be there soon.”

When he arrived, Sunggyu didn’t bother knocking, but walked right in. He saw the position the two of you were in and sighed again. His face looked drawn, like he was under a lot of stress. Without saying anything, Sunggyu carefully untangled you from Woohyun’s arms, acting like Woohyun would break at any second. Woohyun didn’t protest the loss of your warmth, instead he slouched down onto the couch.

You walked with Sunggyu out of the apartment and into the corridor. Out there Sunggyu explained the whole scandal to you in a hushed whisper, as if afraid Woohyun would hear him. You understood the seriousness of the scandal, but still, Woohyun’s reaction was a bit extreme, after all scandals like this popped up all the time. Sunggyu then described the fans reactions, the hate and the extremes they were going to. Pity for Woohyun welled up in you and you just wanted to go back and comfort him. To you it seemed an overreaction from the fans, but then again, some could be totally unreasonable. Now you finally understood Woohyun’s words about trusting only you. A lot of his fans had become his anti’s and the few that stood by him weren’t doing much in the way of defending him.

Sunggyu left after telling you everything and you walked back inside to see Woohyun hadn’t moved an inch. You sit down with him and quietly offer your support.


The scandal lasted surprisingly long and because of the backlash, Woollim decided to send Infinite back to Japan, where the scandal had had no effect, and promote Be Mine, but this time you went along with them. In Japan, Woohyun’s spirits started lifting. The dark cloud that had shadowed his face ever since that day was slowly drifting away and the cheesy, happy Woohyun was starting to make his appearance. In Japan the two of you shared a room and each night Woohyun would hold you in his arms and whisper how much he loved you. He’d also still repeat the mantra he had started reciting, “You’re the only one I trust, the only one who will stay.” That line was beginning to bother you because his total dependence on you was starting to feel crushing. Woohyun would do nothing without you and if you weren’t with him, he’d constantly call. He was acting almost like you’d run away or one day suddenly stop loving him. As much as you tried to reassure him, Woohyun still wouldn’t believe you.

With Infinite’s absence, the scandal soon died out in Korea and plans began for a Korean comeback. This time, the scale would be huge and Woollim, Infinite and Woohyun especially, would be trying to win back the fans they had lost.


I am happy to say that this story is going to be ending soon. Depending on how much I write, the next chapter might be the last. I'm super excited to write that because it's where the drabble starts/left off and I've been waiting to write that bit! I don't know how it will turn out, but hopefully it'll be satisfactory.

This chapter sort of jumped around a lot, but I didn't really know what to write or how to describe the situation. Just so you know, that scandal is totally made up (my sister asked if it had happened), thus the reason why it's so vague. I just can't come up with a decent scandal and outrageous reactions, so I left that up to your imagination.

The whole scandal thing is so melodramatic, I find. I just needed something to catalyze Woohyun's very obsessive/clingy/dependent attitude toward "you" (hope you guys realized that was what's happening) and this was the best I could think of.

Please leave any comments or thoughts. I'd especially like it if you told me whether you understood this chapter and what happened or not so I can clear things up for you. It's kind of important you understand what happened here so what happens next won't be confusing.