Chapter 3

Not Your Cure

Dating an idol was frustrating. Dating an idol while keeping your relationship secret was even more so.

In the beginning, you could easily ignore the loneliness, the many days until you’d see him again, the secrecy, but as time passed they started to have an impact on you. The positive side of your relationship was that now you saw him more often, at least once a week, and your daily calls were resumed.

Your dates would mostly be restricted to either your apartment or Infinite’s, very few were actually in public. Those that were would often take place in crowded areas where Woohyun would not be noticeable, such as a movie theater, and you would arrive separately. For more exposed dates, Woohyun would heavily disguise himself so that he was even unrecognizable to you.

You understood the need for secrecy, fans could be very unpredictable and there were always those few who were very possessive. If they could go to the extremes of invading idols’ privacy, even harming them, then it wasn’t a stretch to believe the same could happen to you and Woohyun would never let anything harm you.

Despite all the madness related to an idol’s life, you were happy. Staying at home wasn’t all that bad, in fact those were the dates you enjoyed most since you were a naturally quiet person. You loved cuddling with Woohyun while watching a movie and then falling asleep in his arms. Dinner would be a riot with you two in the kitchen trying to cook and arguing with one another over this method, that recipe, those ingredients. Hanging out at the dorm was fine too, the other members were fun and welcoming, but they also knew when to give you time alone.

All was happiness until the rose coloured glasses fell away during their Be Mine promotions. Infinite’s popularity boomed and those few public dates trickled away until they were non-existent. Those once in a week meetings dwindled to once in a fortnight if you were lucky. Those nightly calls returned to being sporadic texts. Your relationship was back to the way it was after your semester together had ended.

To make things worse, several fans got wind of a possible girlfriend so Woohyun was even more protective over you. Dates at your apartment were far and few between. He gave you the password to Infinite’s dorm and cleared you at the security desk so whenever you visited he wouldn’t have to come down and thereby revealing you to the more keen eyed fans. Reading comments online made these precautions reasonable, but it still hampered your already very distant relationship.

To complicate things further, plans for Japanese promotions went underway. The thought of being separated from Woohyun by an ocean was saddening, but you were still happy to see Infinite’s success in the music world. Due to the fans, your goodbye could not be said at the last possible moment, rather you went to their dorm to say farewell.

Opening the door, you walked into chaos. Bags were piled in the foyer making it a challenge to cross into the living room. You silently stood there observing all the people rushing around checking for last minute things and a small smile graced your face. The managers were trying to rush the members so they would arrive at the airport in time. It was really funny seeing them constantly haranguing the guys to finish packing everything. Sungjong had a little checklist and was neatly organizing his things. On the other hand, Dongwoo just kept stuffing things into his bag haphazardly and when he finally finished, the bag looked rather hefty, which had the managers casting worried glances to one another. The other members were running from one room to the other grabbing products, clothes, laptops and other accessories. You sighed internally, shaking your head at the lack of organization. I should have realized this would happen and came to help them last night.

You’d been standing in the entrance to the living room for 10 minutes before Sungjong finally noticed your presence. “Noona, when did you arrive? Never mind, you don’t have to answer that. Woohyun hyung is in that room,” he said while pointing to the room he shared with Hoya. Smiling and greeting Sungjong, you head over to the room and peaked in to find even more mess. Amid a pile of clothes sat your boyfriend looking like a lost child. Lightly knocking on the door, you enter the room.

“Hey there Hyun, what are you doing?” you asked, going to sit on the lower bunk.

A brilliant smile broke out across Woohyun’s face and he got up to hug you. Sitting next to you on the bed, he gestured to the clothes. “I’m trying to decide on the outfit I should wear to the airport. I tried calling Kibum, but he’s not answering. Want to help me?” he asked.

You shook your head at his indecisiveness. Woohyun was very picky with his clothes and he often consulted others for advice, which you never understood. It’s one outfit, I don’t see what’s so hard about it. You rose from the bed and dug into the pile of clothes, quickly tossing out jeans and a shirt. “Go change, I’ll stay here and attempt to order this mess.”

Giving you a quick kiss, Woohyun thanked you and went to do as you had bid. You stood in the room with your arms on your hips and surveyed everything. Honestly, you didn’t know where things belonged, so you just started folding everything and laying them on the bed according to type, colour and style. You’d only managed to finish a quarter when Woohyun returned all set for those flashing cameras at the airport. Enveloping you in a back hug, he buried his face in your hair. “Leave everything and stop worrying about the mess. We’re going to be separated for awhile and I just want to spend the rest of the time with you in my arms,” he whispered in your ear.

Turning around, you wrapped your arms around him and the both of you stood there quietly. That is, until Sunggyu knocked on the door and barged in. “Woohyun, come on, we have to…” his voice trailing off as he saw the two of you jump apart, faces bright red. “Umm… Woohyun… We have to leave…” he said, clearing his throat.

Tears suddenly formed in your eyes as the eminent farewell made its presence felt. “Good luck in Japan Hyun. You better charm those fans over there,” you said, giving a weak smile.

“Hey _____, don’t be sad. It’s just for a little while and I promise to call every night. I’ll be back before you know it and just remember… I love you and only you. You’re the only one I can count on to be here for me, the only one. After all, I’ve given you my heart and you better take care of it alright?” he said, pretending to grab at his chest and rip his heart out, which he then “pressed” into your hands. His ploy worked and you laughed, there will never be an end to greasy Woohyun.

Together you walked out to meet the rest of the members. You all said your goodbyes and the managers left with the luggage first. Standing in the corridor waiting for the elevator Woohyun suddenly gave you another hug and a deep kiss in front of the members. Surprised and cheeks flaming red, you stare at him in shock as he whispered an “I miss you” and disappeared into the elevator. As the elevator slid shut, a whispered “I miss you” also left your lips and you were left standing staring at a wall of steel.


That night, you lay in bed trying to make yourself believe Woohyun’s words of being back soon. You’d spent the evening trolling through the fansites looking at the preview pictures of Woohyun at the airport, anything just for that last final glimpse of him in Korea. Try as you might to remain optimistic, the weight of the separation pressed down heavily on your chest. Just as when it became almost too much and the tears were starting, your phone rang. Clearing your mind, you reached for it and smiled. The display read Hyun.


Wow... It's been 3 months since I updated. I'm sorry for the long wait guys, but I was really busy with school, exams and fixing up my sister's writing blog (shameless promoting I know). I'm finally free though and since I've decided to put Why Leave Things to Fate on permanent hiatus, I have more time to focus on this story. Also, I think this story will end soon, just a few more chapters if I stick to my plan, so look forward to that ^^

I have to say... I really hate writing about greasy Woohyun, those lines just make me curl up in embarrassment and wonder how in the world I managed to write them. Also, note of reference, this is Infinite's old dorm as seen in Birth of a Family.

Comments or thoughts? Please leave some feedback... Please...