Being a Teacher

What If

Chapter Five

 

Kyuhyun almost stepped on his foot as he entered the classroom, he was welcomed by wide-eyed students looking weirdly at him. Kyuhyun composed himself trying to look mature as he went straight to the front.

 

“Good morning.”

 

Students skidded around coming back to their seats. He let out a gulp and smiled.

 

“Han-dul-se” the head student warned.

 

“Good morning teacher.”

 

He nodded. “I am..” Kyuhyun said writing on the board. “Choi Kyuhyun. Let us take care of each other.”

 

Students have clueless faces and in a second it erupted into a hearty laughter.

 

Did he just do something wrong?

_____

 

“How do you do this?” Kyuhyun cursed himself drinking water by the faculty.

 

“How is it going?” Siwon asked sitting beside him.

 

“Terrible”

 

“It is always like that on the first day. It will get better I promise.” The man smiled at him. “God usually works in ways we couldn’t understand.”

 

“Are you an angel too?” Kyuhyun curiously asked him.

 

“Angel? Wow that’s a compliment but no. I am a PE teacher.”

 

Kyuhyun gave out a sigh of relief. At least this new teacher is normal like him.

 

“Did the kids made fun of you on the first day?”

 

Kyuhyun gave him a nod while opening his folders. Kyuhyun knows lots about music but teaching it is a different thing.

 

“They usually do that when they know they can control you.” He said in a matter-of-fact tone. “My car almost got smashed the first day only because I keep on smiling at them they thought I wouldn’t get angry.”

 

“So did you?”

 

“No.” he laughed. “I didn’t get angry. It takes a lot to make me angry.”

 

“You should be the angel not that Heechul.” Kyuhyun murmured to himself.

 

“I’m sorry. Are you saying something?”

 

“Nope.”

 

Siwon has such pure wisdom in his eyes as he narrated. “Being a teacher is sharing a part of yourself to them. It is investing to incredible souls who have potential to be great in the future. They usually learn from people who are more of friends than scary authority figures. They are smart. They know if you are sincere or pulling your leg. Be honest with them and they will return that with respect.”

 

“Wow, you know a lot about this.” Kyuhyun admitted as he smiled sadly.

 

“I wish someone have told me sooner but that’s the way God planned it for me to learn. And if ever you come to a point that you don’t know what to do, remember this: ‘If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given to him’1.”

 

Kyuhyun nodded not fully understanding what the other man meant.

 

Siwon gave him another dazzling smile before leaving him with his thoughts.

 

“Ask for wisdom? Sincerity? Honesty? I didn’t think being a teacher requires a lot of character. I can do it since I am…”

 

“The great Cho Kyuhyun.” A voice from somewhere continued on.

 

Without glancing back he rolled his eyes and kept on flipping the pages. “Of course who else!” he said with disgusted sarcasm. “My dear angel paying me a visit.”

 

“I am most aware that you enjoy my company.” Heechul grinned carrying a feather duster. Kyuhyun gave him an amused face.

 

“What?” Heechul looks offended. “Feather duster is manly too you know.”

 

“Whatever.” Kyuhyun smiled. The first sincere smile he ever gave the weird angel.

 

Kyuhyun sighed. “I am giving this a shot.” He admitted. “How hard can it be? I can sing. I guess teaching kids to do the same wouldn’t be so difficult because..”

 

“You are the great Cho Kyuhyun.” Heechul grinned. “I know that already. The boss told me to tell you that He is happy with your decision.”

 

“Wh..what? But.. I..just.. I just thought of it a few minutes ago.”

The Lord knows the thoughts of a man. 2” 

 

“If God is actually concerned about me he wouldn’t put me in this situation.”

 

“What if you are in this situation because he is concerned about you?”

 

“You are just twisting my own words.” Kyuhyun replied.

 

“Think whatever you want. As you have said, how hard can it be?”

 

Kyuhyun looked around him. He is not the same person anymore. No paparazzi, no pressure, no fans. It’s both a relief and disappointment but not everyone is given this kind of opportunity. Kyuhyun believes he will still choose the life in the limelight but he had decided to give it a shot. Become a teacher, be a dad, be a husband, become a real man without the luxury he once had. He can do it.

 

The angel watched him intently nodding his head with a devilish smirk on his face. “Cho Kyuhyun, God isn’t finish with you yet.”

 

 

 

____

1.  – James 1:5

2 –  Psalms 94:11

 

 

author’s notes:

I am not convinced with my ability to finish this fic but I will try. (As usual, no editing so excuse my grammar or lack thereof and/or some spelling errors if there were any. Tough day.)

Besides God just whispered to me this morning. Jo, God isn’t finished with you yet. Same goes for you.. *winks*