Real Self

Broken Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

After that day, Lay could feel it: that tingling feeling that was slowly spreading across his body. He knew that had taken a liking to Fei. By no means was he in love, but there was this spark of something indescribable, and he liked that feeling. He really liked it. But again, Fei seemed to avoid him once they were out of the piano room. Why was it like that? He didn’t know. He always wondered whether he did something wrong when they were playing the piano, but he always came to the conclusion that nothing happened that could have made Fei angry at him. Actually, she always seemed fine in the piano room. About one week already did Fei avoid him. He always tried to help out when she was having trouble. For instance, when she had to tidy up a room, he'd always offer his help, but that girl always rejected politely, leaving him no choice but to accept it.

 

He watched as Fei carried a big box from that one room to the other. Someone tapped his shoulder and he turned around. A sigh escaped his lips. “Kris.”

 

“That box seems heavy. This is the perfect opportunity, Lay,” the tall male smiled.

 

Lay sighed once again. “She won't ever let me help her. No matter how heavy a box is, how huge a rack is, she always rejects my offer,” he said amidst several sighs. “Well, I gave you the same advice last week, but I really think you should ask Luhan.” And with that Kris disappeared again. When he was alone again, he gave it some thought.

 

After a few minutes, Lay stood up and stole one last glance at Fei, before he looked for Luhan. Not even seconds later, he found the said one, together with Mihyun; smiles were gracing the two faces.

 

“Oh, Lay,” both of them said, surprised at Lay's sudden appearance. “Luhan, I have some questions regarding your sister,” he slowly said. Mihyun automatically walked away, since she already had the hunch that this would be something between men. Luhan gave him a soft smile, seeing that Lay was having problems finding the proper way to phrase his questions. “You like my sister, don’t you?”

 

Lay's ears turned red and he froze for a few seconds. The older male chuckled. “It's okay. You're someone I would fully entrust my sister with.” The younger male had to bite back a smile. “I don’t exactly like her – no, I do like her, but I don’t love her,” he half stuttered. “Right now it's not out of romantic interest, but because I don’t like seeing her like this. So sad, so alone, I want her to know that she can count on me as a friend, but she likes avoiding me.”

 

He thought about what he said for a while, before continuing, “I mean, I know she has Xinghan and you, but there is just something about her that makes me think that she's not truly happy.” All of a sudden, he could feel a hand on his shoulder, patting it gently. “That's my Lay,” Luhan smiled brightly. The other one looked up confusedly. “Huh?”

 

“You've always been like this. Seeing through people, discovering their secrets, but too kind to confront them with it.” Luhan sighed, remembering when he first came to the circus. “I know Fei seems unapproachable at times, but this is where you have to be, you know, more aggressive. Your kindness is good to help her, but in order to have her realize your intention you have to be less considerate. Confront her with her fears. It'll help her.” After a while he added, “That's what Mihyun did,” a smile forming upon his lips.

 

 

Lay nodded his head and quickly thanked Luhan. He just wanted to turn around and leavem as the other male grabbed his arm. “Wait, Lay. Just because you’re one of my best friends, doesn’t mean I'm not going to break your neck if you hurt her,” Luhan said in utmost seriousness. Lay stared at him for a while and gulped.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter