3 ♥ Heart to Protect

Hearts are Made to be Loved
♥ Eunye ♥
 
It's almost been two years since I took Hyomin as my last 'client', the one who asked me to break Woohyun's heart. Woohyun is my last 'assignment' and I did break his heart. Quite bad if I must say.
 
Then again, if I look back to those moments, although I do feel guilty, I also feel grateful. My mood was like a roller coaster during those days with Hoya, Sunggyu, and Woohyun around me.
 
When I found out that Woohyun didn't deserve to have his heart broken by me, when Sunggyu asked me to be his girlfriend, when I realized that I had fallen for Hoya, and when I decided what my heart really wanted to.
 
Somehow I feel like a fool when I remember my reason to break the hearts of all the guys I barely even knew. I don't even know why I could have that kind of heart to hurt them so bad. Fortunately none is damaged enough to hurt me back.
 
Or at least I think so.
 
"I'm sorry, Miss, the Opera cake is not available at the moment. Perhaps it will be ready in two hours or so," the girl who works as the bakery staff apologizes. "Do you mind if we just send it to your place or..."
 
I am currently at the bakery near from my apartment to buy an Opera cake. There is no special reason. It's simply just because I want it and Hoya is somewhere else for dance practice with his students. He said he will have dinner with me though.
 
"Oh...," I pout, thinking that maybe it's the best if I just have the cake later with Hoya at night. "Will do then. My address..."
 
Suddenly a man enters the bakery shop with a cigarette, smoking as if it's his own house. He blows the smoke as he please and asks with a loud voice, "Give me a black forest!"
 
It's pretty obvious that he is drunk. I can even smell the alcohol from my stand. It's only six at the evening and he is really drunk already. I do not know what's so good about alcohol... except that I lose my consciousness pretty quick because of it.
 
While another female staff is trying to tell him politely about the no smoking rule in the shop, I tell my address to receive the cake later.
 
"Oh, I'm sorry, your name, Miss?" the girl asks, holding a pen to write my name on the paper.
 
"Choi Eunye," I give my name calmly, not expecting what kind of trouble will happen afterwards. "It's Choi Eunye."
 
For a reason I don't know, the drunk guy turns to me and hisses my name, "What? Choi Eunye? You're Choi Eunye?"
 
Whatever he has in mind, I'm pretty sure it's not a good news.
 
"You...," he throws the cigarette somewhere and steps closer to me. He grabs my hand and growls, "Finally I found you! Follow me! Who do you think you are, eh?"
 
"Eh?!" I try to struggle from his grip but he is way too strong for me. The bakery staffs are all female and I don't think they really can help me from this situation. "Yah! Let me... Let me go! Yah!"
 
We're already at the outside of the bakery when he tightens his grip on my wrist, causing me to flinch a little. This strange guy glares at me and whispers, "After four months you finally showed up. I know you can't hide forever from me, Choi Eunye."
 
I keep trying to escape from his hold but it's futile so I decide to argue with him, "You must be mistaken. I don't even know you. Why would I hide from you?"
 
"Pfft," he smirks and I really hate the alcohol smell. "You're the infamous heartbreaker, Choi Eunye, right? The one who broke Lee Sungyeol's heart?"
 
My eyes widen in shock upon the name. It is true that I broke Sungyeol's heart two years ago and I took the name of infamous heartbreaker before but... four months ago?
 
"Sorry but you got a wrong person," I pull my hand just to end up feeling more pain. "Please let go of my hand. We can talk properly about-"
 
"Like hell I will let go of you, Choi Eunye!" he loses his patience, which I don't think ever existed at the first place. "You're going to meet the others anyway. Now, follow me!"
 
That's when he comes and calls my name innocently, standing around five metres away from me, "Eunye?"
 
"D-Dongwoo?"
 
 
~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~
 
 
♥ Dongwoo ♥
 
I just finished giving a dance class to my friend's nephew. It's not really a class actually. My friend asked my help to tutor his nephew and I couldn't say no.
 
His nephew has this big dream to become a great dancer and I will definitely support it. I know that feeling because I've been there. Some of Eungeum teachers do know that I won a lot of dance competitions until four years ago, when I decided to start a professional career as dance teacher.
 
I was going to cross the street when I notice the chaos happens in front of a bakery shop. Moreover the big guy is holding a girl who looks really familiar to me.
 
Without having a second thought, I rush closer to them and call her name out loud, "Eunye?"
 
Both Eunye and the guy turn to me as I take steps forward, "W-What happened? Is there anything..."
 
"Who are you?!" the guy with strong alcohol smell frowns and I bet he doens't like my presence at all. "It's not your business! Move! Follow me, Choi Eunye!"
 
Eunye grits her teeth and I know she is hurting because of the guy. I grab her wrist gently while my other hand trying to make the guy release her hand, "Excuse me but you are hurting Eunye..."
 
What happens afterward is too fast that the next thing I know is that I fall to the ground. My left cheek is sore. The pain is throbbing; he just punched me.
 
"Dongwoo!" Eunye gasps, rushing to my side. She squats down with anxiety filling her eyes. "Aigoo! Are you alr- Aish, of course you are not alright!"
 
I try my best to grin even though it makes me feel the hurt even more, "Finally he let you go..."
 
The drunk guy looks pissed off and I just blurt out whatever I have in mind, not even thinking that it would be awkward later, "I'll protect you."
 
Fortunately a bunch of office workers are walking through the street, causing some distractions as one of them speaks loudly, "Hey, what's going on there?"
 
"I'll get back to you, Choi Eunye!" the drunk guy decides to flee, leaving me on the ground. Looks like he is still sober enough not to draw more attention from the crowd.
 
"Aigoo, Dongwoo, are you alright?" she cringes as if she can feel the pain. "A minute. I'm going to pay for the cake first. Hold on."
 
She rushes inside to talk with the staff and then walks to me, helping me to stand up, "My apartment is near from here. Let's treat your wound first."
 
"I-I-It's alright!" I quickly react, thinking how awkward it would be for me to be alone in her apartment. Besides I'm actually afraid it will make my heart beats even faster for her. "I-I'll just go back to my place. It's not- Ouch!"
 
Eunye purposely touches my cheek, heaving a sigh, "See? No excuse. Let's go now."
 
Before I could reply a word, she pulls me by hand, heading to her own apartment building. There is no conversation between us but Eunye keeps glancing with worry at me.
 
"I'm really alright, Eunye," I try to lighten up the atmosphere with a wide grin though it actually hurts me more. "The guy is drunk so his power is not that great. See? I'm perfectly fine!"
 
"It's my fault," she mumbles with her eyes fix on her own shoes. That's when I realize that she is holding on my sleeve, not letting me go since she pulled me up. "What's with the sudden infamous title of heartbreaker really?"
 
Heartbreaker.
 
Right. I heard the rumor before. When she first entered Eungeum, every single male teacher was interested with her. A rumor came up about her as a heartbreaker, someone who took requests to break guys' hearts.
 
Everything became even more suspicious when someone put some pictures of her and Sunggyu on school announcement board. However I tried to ignore the rumor and, well, I ended up fall for her.
 
"Ouch!" I jumped slightly from my seat when Eunye puts a bandage on my face. She immediately stops and apologizes, trying to be more gentle.
 
"There you go," she gives me a small smile before getting up. "I'll get you something to drink. Do you mind with tea?"
 
I nod and she walks to the kitchen, preparing two cups of tea. Meanwhile my eyes wander around, having a quick look of Eunye's apartment.
 
There are some photo frames hanged on the wall. The biggest photo frame looks like her family picture. She sits between her parents while there are two boys who look exactly the same, standing behind three of them.
 
Next to it, there's a picture of all girls with their graduation dresses. There is also a picture of all Eungeum teachers on our staff recreation last year.
 
"Ah...," I blink as my eyes find a picture of three men and three women in one frame. I guess they're at a garden and six of them smile so bright.
 
Eunye sits between Kim Hyuna, another dance teacher at Eungeum, and a girl I remember as Kim Sunggyu's girlfriend. Sunggyu stands behind his girlfriend and Woohyun stands behind Hyuna. Of course the man behind Eunye is Hoya, her one and only fiancee.
 
I can only smile bitterly, admiring how compatible they look good together. Of course I could never come between them. I am nothing compared to Hoya. Hoya is a handsome, popular, friendly, and sweet guy. I'm just a noisy, childish, and silly guy. Eunye never sees me as someone more than a friend.
 
"Aigoo, Jang Dongwoo," I sigh, cursing myself mentally. "What's in your mind? It's not like you to feel so attached with someone. Just forget everything."
 
"Forget what?" Eunye's voice snaps me back to my senses.
 
 
 
~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~
 
 
♥ Eunye ♥
 
Guilt hits me when I see Dongwoo cringes with pain when I try to tend his wound. He keeps trying to assure me that he is alright when I know he is not. To think that I cause the wound, I really feel guilty.
 
However I also can't stop wondering what happened back then. Did the guy mistaken me with someone else because he's drunk? But he knew my name. He knew my reputation as a heartbreaker. I'm pretty sure I don't know him either.
 
"Did I happen to do something that I don't even remember to him?" I ask myself, bringing two cups of tea to the main room. "I don't think so..."
 
"...just forget everything," I hear Dongwoo mumbles while staring at the wall.
 
"Forget what?" I ask as I put the cups on table. I tilt my head, studying his expression. "What are you looking at, Dongwoo?"
 
He shakes his head and clears his throat, "N-Nothing! I-Is this one for me?"
 
I frown at his sudden nervous reaction. I take a seat next to him and stare at his face just to make him stop drinking, "W-W-What is it? W-What's wrong?"
 
"You stammer too much, Dongwoo," I answer calmly. "Are you sure your head is alright? It doesn't seem so, you know. I..."
 
I stop rambling and look at him in silence for a moment, "I'm really sorry. I don't know what's wrong with that guy and I... I'm sorry for troubling you this much."
 
When he stood up for me, I was shocked. It's the very first time I saw someone punched my friend right before my eyes. To think that he protected me, I was speechless.
 
"If he didn't just go away, I really wouldn't know what to do," I lower my head. "I'm really sorry."
 
"Aigoo, it's really alright, Eunye," Dongwoo comforts me once again. "Besides I did say I would protect you, didn't I?"
 
I look up and our eyes meet. For an unknown reason, there is this strange feeling of sadness I see in his eyes despite his genuine smile, "Even though you already have a Howon for that part."
 
He drinks the tea and excuses himself to return. I actually ask him to stay for dinner with me and Hoya but he kindly refuses, saying that he has an errand to do.
 
"Thank you for helping me today," I tell him at the door. "I owe you, Dongwoo."
 
"Don't even mention it," he gives me a thumb up. "I'll see you tomorrow at school then."
 
I bid him goodbye and close the door, resting my back against it while my mind goes somewhere else. It's true that I'm still asking who that drunk guy is but there is another thing I have in mind at the moment.
 
Why does Dongwoo always smile with sadness in his eyes to me?
 
 
__________
 
 
Author's Note:
 
Last updated 25 March 2013 and it's 28 April already!
Already a month.
I'm so sorry for my seldom update.
I hope this slightly long chapter will entertain you. ;)
 
Feel free to drop your comments below or tweet me @AFFkyuri91. ^^