1 ♥ Lonely Heart

Hearts are Made to be Loved
♥ Eunye ♥
 
"Congratulations, Eunye!" Hyuna hugs me tight, expressing how happy she is at the moment. "I can't wait till the day you wear your wedding gown! It will be even more romantic than tonight!"
 
I chuckle as Woohyun smiles at her statement. Her fiancee pats her head with loving gaze, joking that their engagement party they held four months ago is also romantic.
 
"But I helped the preparation for your engagement party," I speak with confident. "So it is romantic because of me too, you know."
 
"I'm one of the planners too, Eunye," a voice interrupts. Sunggyu walks to us while Bora follows him with a smile. "You owe me the credit."
 
Before I could argue with him, his girlfriend cuts in and gives me a hug, congratulating me for the successful and romantic engagement party, "When I will have one, I hope you will help me, Eunye."
 
I laugh and say, "I will help you as long as your naggy boyfriend doesn't complaint."
 
"Yah! I heard that!" Sunggyu protests and all of us laugh. He gives me a glare, just like what he always does whenever we argue over little things. "Aish, Choi Eunye, you and your sharp tongue."
 
It's been more than a year since the day I left the infamous title of 'heartbreaker' I owned. Someone broke my heart yet he became the one who taught me that hearts are made to be loved.
 
And here I am tonight, being the center of the engagement party with him. He proposed me a month after Woohyun and Hyuna held their engagement party, telling me that his heart could only belong to me and he wanted the world to know that.
 
We reserved a ballroom which is not too big but enough for our relatives and friends to attend. The idea to decorate the whole ballroom with balloon, ribbons, and roses are my idea. The guests compliment me for the simple yet elegant decoration.
 
Our families gather altogether. Our colleagues from Eungeum Art School also came to congratulate us. That's why my fiancee is busy to greet them while I also take my own time around.
 
My eyes find a person standing at the balcony alone, holding a glass of cocktail. He is giving his back while staring to nowhere of the night sky.
 
I excuse myself and walk to the balcony. I call out his name carefully, "Dongwoo?"
 
He flinches a little, surprised to see me, "E-Eunye?!"
 
"What are you doing here alone?" I raise my eyebrow, taking a stand next to him. "Is there something wrong with the party?"
 
"No, no, no," he states quickly with panic tone. "Just... I just want to feel the night breeze. That's all."
 
Silence.
 
"So...," I tilt my head slightly, studying his expression, "...you're not going to congratulate me?"
 
Dongwoo blinks for multiple times before he opens his mouth widely and closes it again. He facepalms himself before apologizing, "I'm sorry, Eunye. Ah, I mean congratulations. Aish. Congrats for your engagement with Howon."
 
My lips turn to a curve when I hear Hoya's real name. To think that I have officially engaged with him, it still feels like a dream.
 
Who knows that he could turn from a best friend to a lover to a fiance and, maybe in the future to a husband?
 
"You look really happy," Dongwoo mumbles with a gentle smile. "I'm glad you two are together."
 
I'm not really close with Dongwoo but there is this inner voice which tells me that he is hiding a secret behind his smile.
 
A secret that I don't know. Yet.
 
 
~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~
 
 
♥ Hoya ♥
 
I bow politely to the headmaster of Eungeum Art School, thanking him for coming tonight. I move to the next guests without wiping off my smile, a sign that I'm extremely happy.
 
We have prepared everything for tonight and, thankfully, everything is according to our plan. I scan the whole room and feel glad that all guests are enjoying their time here.
 
Actually I didn't have a plan to propose Eunye and hold an engagement party. Weeks after Woohyun's engagement party with Hyuna, she looked really happy when we're looking through the pictures of them and I thought it would be perfect if we're engaged officially.
 
Even though Sunggyu teased me by saying that I should not overlap him since he is the oldest among three of us, I made a decision four months ago. A decision that made me gain blessings from all of my relatives and friends.
 
We're best friends since our first semester at college. Five years later, I finally realized that she was more than just a best friend and she returned my feeling, making us an official couple.
 
Both of us are still working at Eungeum Art School till now. Eunye as an English teacher and I still hold the responsibility as a teacher for Dance class.
 
However there is an idea about one of us to resign and look for a new job but we still haven't made a final decision yet.
 
I loosen my white tie slightly before looking for Eunye. I think I just saw her with Woohyun and Hyuna but she is nowhere I can see now.
 
When I am on my way to meet Sunggyu, I finally find Eunye at the balcony with one of my senior who also teaches Dance class at Eungeum, Jang Dongwoo.
 
He gives her something and Eunye thanks him. Curious, I come to them and greet Dongwoo, "Hey. Thank you for coming tonight, Dongwoo Hyung."
 
Dongwoo looks surprised with my sudden presence but he replies, "Hey, Howon. Congrats for your engagement. I... I hope you two nothing but the best in future."
 
"Ah, right!" Eunye looks at me, looking like an angel in her white dress. "Have you met my brothers? They want to take picture with you!"
 
She links her arm with mine and throws a glance at Dongwoo, "Go inside and enjoy the party!"
 
Eunye drags me inside but I stop her, releasing my arm from her hug. I put my arm around her shoulder, pulling her close so I can kiss her forehead, "I'm not going anywhere, Eunye."
 
"Of course you're not," Eunye mutters and I'm pretty sure that she is blushing right now.
 
I glance at my finger, staring at the engagement ring on my ring finger, feeling so blessed that I can have Eunye in my hug.
 
With all the blessings, of course we will stick together. Always.
 
 
~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~
 
 
♥ Dongwoo ♥
 
Everyone else is enjoying the party and I should be too. However looking at Eunye's happy expression makes me feel happy and heartbroken at the same time.
 
I choose to stand at the balcony, sipping the cocktail under the beautiful night sky.
 
I never thought I would fall for her. She's like an angel for me, with her beautiful smile and flawless charm. I just can't stop myself from loving her even though she's with someone else now.
 
Congratulations.
 
Why does it feel so hard just to say that one word? Today is one of the happiest nights for her and I should be happy for her...
 
...but how is it possible when I'm so in love with her? How can I be happy when my heart wants to be loved by her? How can I smile and just forget everything?
 
I don't know since when I harbored this feeling called love to her but I did notice I paid attention for her a lot more since I talked to hear year ago, when she called my name for the first time, when I realized how beautiful her smile was.
 
Choi Eunye and Lee Howon. Everyone knows they are meant to be together. Best friends since forever and now they're a couple, one step closer to be husband and wife.
 
And here I am right now, attending their engagement party with broken heart and fake smile.
 
While two hearts are celebrating the night together, this one lonely heart is being melancholic.
 
"Dongwoo?"
 
I almost drop the glass when she calls my name. I turn around to face the girl in white dress, looking so beautiful that I need to slap myself mentally just to remind me that she is someone else's fiancee now.
 
"So...," Eunye tilts her head cutely and my heart betrays me to beat normally, "...you're not going to congratulate me?"
 
Feeling like an idiot, I apologize and congratulate her. Somehow I keep thinking that maybe I shouldn't be here tonight. Maybe I should just lie and avoid this engagement party.
 
Eunye smiles as I mention her fiancee's name. It feels like someone just stabbed me with an imaginary knife, knowing that her smile belongs to her one and only.
 
"You look really happy," I force a smile, thinking if she will ever realize that I love her so. I wonder if she will ever notice me until I tell her. "I'm glad you two are together."
 
Another lie.
 
All I want to say is will she ever know that my heart is waiting to be loved by her?
 
"Your earring...," Eunye changes the topic, looking at the gold wing earring I wear on my left ear. "It's beautiful!"
 
"Oh," I run my hand to touch it. She looks like she is really interested with the earring. An idea suddenly crosses my mind, "Do you want it?"
 
Eunye frowns, "Can I?"
 
"I still have a silver one," I take off the earring and hand it to her. "Think of it as an engagement present from me."
 
"Thank you!" she takes it and her face beams with happiness. "But are you sure? I mean if-"
 
"Keep it," I assure her with a grin. This time I know that she is smiling because of me and that makes me feel so much better.
 
Seconds later Howon comes and greets me. I congratulate him before Eunye drags him to meet her brothers, leaving me alone at the balcony.
 
"Congrats...," I repeat that one word to myself, feeling that my heart is aching. "Jang Dongwoo, she is out of your reach..."
 
My heart is broken and she doesn't even know...
 
...but is it wrong if I still believe that hearts are made to be loved?
 
 
__________
 
 
Author's Note:
 
Please do bother to tell me if you feel this opening chapter is lacking.
Drop your comments below or mention me via Twitter
@AFFkyuri91
 
Thank you for reading! ;)