Tears

Insanity

“That’s not fair!” you whined, stretching your hands as far above your head as you could manage. Unfortunately, you were on the small side and Kris was...not. “C’mon, give it back!”

“I’m not cheating,” Kris insisted, holding your book as far up as he could manage. There was a large gap between where you could reach and where he could, but you were trying. “It’s not my fault you’re a midget.”

You rolled your eyes at the old insult – being petite as you were, you were often the brunt of light-hearted jokes about your height. You were used to them, but there were only so many jokes one could make. Kris tried his best, but you knew them all. “This is getting old, you know,” you informed him.

“Oh, giving up already, I see,” he taunted. Kris’s teasing was always good-natured, and it was part of your friendship – if you could call it that. You didn’t really consider Kris a friend, but he was far from a stranger or even your enemy. Still, you didn’t mind sitting with him at lunch or in class because he made for interesting company.

Of course, since all you ever did with him was argue and tease and joke, there were limits, and there had been times when both of you had crossed the line. Neither of you wanted to hurt or offend each other seriously, but you suspected that now might be one of those times.

“Shut up,” you snapped half-heartedly. You were exhausted from staying up late studying, and the book Kris was holding was something you needed to look at before your next class. Sleep deprivation plus a certain time of the month didn’t exactly make you all sunshine and rainbows – your temper was fraying dangerously, and a few more moments with Kris would push you over the edge.

You mustered a serious look and ignored his retort. “Kris, that book is really important,” you said calmly. “I need it back.”

“That was rude,” Kris said, looking mock-offended by your words. “Say the magic word.

“Please,” you deadpanned, not amused by his antics.

He considered for a moment before grinning mischievously. “Only if you can reach it!” He held the book high above his head, far beyond your reach.

It was such a juvenile thing to do, but you jumped for it anyway, knowing it was hopeless. You glared at Kris when he laughed, even lowering the book teasingly. You made another grab for it, but he pulled it out of your range quickly.

You glanced quickly at your watch and swore inwardly. Class was going to start soon, and you needed to get that book back. You stood on your tiptoes and waved your hand around, trying to reach it but you were just too short.

Tears of frustration filled your eyes, and you cursed yourself. Now was not the time to be emotional, but your vision was starting to blur. “Please, can I have it back?” you pleaded, voice wavering.

“Sorry, what was that? You’re a bit too far away, and I can’t hear you,” Kris said mockingly, putting a hand to his ear as if to hear you better. You wanted to punch his face right then, especially when he dangled the book right in front of your face. Instead, you swiped at the book but it was out of your reach – again.

You clenched your fists and tried to breathe normally. “Kris,” you began shakily, “I really, really need this book, so can you please just–”

You couldn’t even finish the sentence, bursting into tears instead. Mortified, you covered your face with your hands as you cried, hoping no one else was watching. You were so furious with Kris and with yourself – you hardly ever cried, and you knew that crying in front of Kris was just showing him weakness.

You wiped your eyes and took a few shaky breaths. “F-Forget it,” you stammered, your words wracked with sobs. “I don’t need it anymore.”

You rubbed your eyes again, ready to retreat to the bathroom but a hand on your shoulder made you freeze. You turned, sniffling pathetically, and gaped when you saw that it was Kris who was stopping you. He dropped his hand quickly and offered you your book with the other, looking sheepish.

“I’m sorry,” he mumbled, not quite meeting your gaze.

The apology surprised you so much that you stopped crying, and you accepted the book gingerly. “Thanks,” you said softly, deeply touched by his sincerity. You’d never seen this side of Kris before – hell, you didn’t even know he had a soft side.

Your words didn’t seem enough to convince him everything was okay, so you stepped forward and quickly wrapped your arms around his waist. You were suddenly aware that you were actually using his shirt to dry your tears, and that his shirt was probably wet, so you tried to step back. When you did, though, you realised that Kris was hugging you back, his arms curled awkwardly around your shoulders.

You let go of him quickly, even more embarrassed by your actions. “Thanks,” you murmured again, giving him a shy smile, and then you ran off. You’d enjoyed hugging Kris – since he was so much bigger than you, you felt safe and secure in his arms. 

You decided you wouldn’t be too upset if it happened again.