Blanket Fort

Insanity

There was a sharp crack as if the skies were being ripped apart, followed by a deep rumble that echoed in the small apartment. Only the bright, brief flash of lightning had warned you, and you let out a small shriek. The thunder died away, and soon you were left with the sound of rain, pouring relentlessly over the city.

"Hey, are you alright?" You turned to see Kris in the doorway, staring down at you with concern.

You opened your mouth to utter a reassurance, but the thunder cut you off effectively. You stood stock still, exhaling when you heard only the rain. "…I'm fine."

Kris crossed the room to hug you, and you relaxed instantly in his arms. He'd timed it perfectly, though - with your face pressed into his chest, the next thunderclap seemed a little less frightening. "Better?"

You nodded, wrapping your arms around his waist in response. His presence - which has once made you so nervous - was now a soothing balm to your fear, and just being so close to him made you feel safer. "Can we do this until the storm ends?" you asked shyly, your voice muffled.

You heard and felt him laugh. "I have a better idea. Let's build a blanket fort."


You weren't allowed to come into the living room while Kris was building; although you had helped in the beginning, it was clear he knew what he was doing, and you didn't. Still, the rustle of sheets built up enough anticipation that you started to ignore the thunderstorm outside.

"Are you ready?" You nodded eagerly, almost bouncing with excitement. "Okay, close your eyes and I'll guide you in."

You squeezed your eyes shut when Kris took your hand, and started shuffling in, wary of bumping into anything. You weren’t very well acquainted with the living room, and it seemed like an age before Kris instructed you to get on your knees.

You crawled forwards cautiously, brushing against some sheets on your way in before you realised you were now on top of some blankets. A faint rustle indicated Kris had followed you, so you sat up and waited eagerly.

"Alright, open your eyes."              

Your eyes flew open instantly, and you grinned with delight. There were sheets draped everywhere - on the couch, over the chairs and several were attached to a sturdy light fixture in the ceiling to provide height. Everything was well-lit and cosy, and blankets and pillows were strewn across the floor, presumably to cushion you. The overall effect was something similar to a circus tent, but on a much smaller scale, and much more welcoming.

Being enclosed in the blanket fort gave you a strange sense of security, the same a child might get from hiding underneath their blankets. It was absolutely perfect for the two of you, yet it also gave a touch of childhood nostalgia. You laughed out loud and dove further into the blanket fort, rolling around in the soft blankets.

The realisation that you could be ruining the blanket fort made you pause, and you looked guiltily at Kris. He didn’t seem too opposed to it, seeing as he had managed to salvage some pillows from your excitement and made himself comfortable with them.

You noticed his eyes were shut, so you wriggled a little closer. He looked a little more relaxed in the privacy of the blanket fort, and beneath the light, his long lashes cast shadows on his cheekbones. Unable to resist, you brought your hand to his face and traced his features as lightly as you could. You ignored the slight shake in your hands and continued your exploration of his face, brushing hair away and letting your fingers dance across his soft lips. You smiled at the memory of kissing him, and bent down to touch your lips to his.

When you pulled back, Kris had opened his eyes and he was smiling. You flushed, embarrassed at your sudden intimacy.  “Come lie down with me,” was all he said, and you were glad to obey. His arms encircled you once more, and you placed your head on his chest. You felt him shift a little, and then there was a soft pressure on the top of your head when he kissed you. Your lips curved up with faint smile, and let the sound of his heartbeat, strong and steady, lull you to sleep and drown out the thunderstorm outside.