Thunderstorms

Insanity

Everyone was sitting in a circle for a game when you saw a flash of lightning; not long afterwards, there was a deep rumble of thunder. Jongdae looked out the window and confirmed that there was, indeed, a thunderstorm outside, and a large one at that.

Your heart sank with dread. Thunderstorms had never been your thing – in fact, they terrified you, and you always just wanted to crawl into some blankets and hide away until it ended. Still, you dove into the game with renewed vigour, trying to distract yourself but the next round of thunder was so loud your bones felt rattled.

You held your breath in anticipation, trying to brace yourself for the next thunderclap but it still caught you off guard, even with the tell-tale sign of lightning. You yelped and practically launched yourself at the nearest person – Kris, your long time crush.

Everyone else burst out laughing when they saw you, and you blushed deeply. Kris was holding himself very still, but your arms were wrapped around him as tightly as you could, and your face was buried in his shoulder.

“So I take it you’re scared of lightning?” Kris asked awkwardly.

“Maybe,” you mumbled, relaxing your grip once the thunder died away. You were as embarrassed as he was, since you were sure everyone in the group knew about your crush on Kris. “I’m sorry–”

The next round of thunder had you cowering against Kris again, and you squeezed your eyes shut, trying to distract yourself. You welcomed the noise the boys were making – mostly raucous laughter at Kris’s predicament – since it gave you something to focus on, even if it was mortifying.

“Kris, try not to take advantage of her while she’s in this state,” Chanyeol teased, dissolving into laughter at the end. You rolled your eyes at his immaturity.

“No, he’s too awkward to make a move,” Baekhyun countered, and everyone else ooohed in agreement.  “Care to prove me wrong?”

You were surprised when he did, bringing his arm around your back and your shoulder hesitantly. “It’s okay, you don’t have to do this,” you whispered to Kris. “I just really don’t like thunder.” Your confession was punctuated by another threatening rumble, and you hugged him tighter.

Kris was silent for a few moments until he whispered, “It’s getting a little hard to breathe.”

You laughed in spite of your fear. “I’m sorry,” you said, almost inaudibly, and you tried to loosen your hold a little. Your arms were a little stiff from hugging him so tightly, but you weren’t sure you wanted to let go yet.

Kris solved your dilemma, using his arm to pull you closer until you were pressed right against him. “Um, is that better?” he asked, his voice low and uncertain. You nodded wordlessly, hardly able to contain your emotions. You had dreamed of the day that Kris held you in his arms, but never in these circumstances.

“Just-just close your eyes,” Kris murmured finally. “It’s okay if you fall asleep.”

You obeyed, squeezing your eyes shut and enjoying the feeling of Kris’s arms around you.


When he was sure you were asleep, Kris glared at Jongdae. "You bastard," he growled, "there wasn't supposed to be a storm today."

Jongdae shrugged, the picture of innocence. "Weather predictions aren't very reliable, you know." He glanced at you, still clutching Kris, and smirked. "Besides, this is what you wanted, isn't it?"

Kris's cheeks flushed red. "Shut up. And you, Luhan!” He shot a nasty glare at the doe-eyed boy.

“You two are so awkward,” Luhan said, looking completely unfazed. “You needed some encouragement.”

“I thought we agreed not to use our powers on each other?” Kris fumed.

“It was for your own good.”

Sehun frowned. “Wait, you like her?”

“What are you talking about?” Kris spluttered. 

“Ever since they first met,” Jongdae supplied, still smirking.

“That explains a lot,” Sehun chortled, but his laughter quickly died down when he looked at Kris seriously. “You know, she likes you too.”

Everyone paying attention to the conversation snuck a glance at you, still in Kris’s arms, and then back at each other. Kris narrowed his eyes. “Guys…”

“We’ll give you two some privacy,” Jongdae said instantly, jumping to his feet.

The others followed his lead, gathering their belongings and sneaking some not-so-subtle glances are you and Kris. “Have fun!” Sehun said, grinning mischievously as he bounced out the door.

“Don’t worry, you’ll be thanking me later,” Jongdae called, and then the door clicked shut.

Any protests Kris had died on his lips, and he sighed, careful not to jostle you too much. He needed time to think of an explanation of why everyone had disappeared while you were sleeping.  Kris glanced at your face, now peaceful and void of the fear from before, and smiled. Maybe this isn’t so bad after all, he thought, and let his own eyes fall shut.