Waking Up

Break Down

Eunhyuk was sitting down in the waiting area holding Donghae’s hand as they listened to the report. Dr. Choi was blunt and straight to the point about what happened and he made sure not to leave out any information since he thought that it would be best for Eunhyuk to know every little detail.

“According to the report, Ms. Chang was in a terrible car accident that just went from bad to worse. It’s actually one of the worst crashes that I have ever heard of and her condition was very hard to work with. All I can say is that she was very lucky.” Eunhyuk squeezed his dongsaeng’s hand and held back his tears as he let Dr. Choi continue. “It says here that a large truck had 2 tires pop as the driver was heading towards the bridge. The truck driver honked to warn people as his larger vehicle was skidding on the wet ground but Mina was stuck in a traffic jam and had no way of escaping...Because of the terrible weather, Mina’s smaller car easily slid on the ground and she had a double collision with the truck and also the car in front of her. Not only that, but the sudden impact was too much and since none of the cars were braked, both Mina’s car and the car in front of her fell into the river that was under the bridge. We found a lot of damage to her head which tells us that the crash had caused Mina to hit her head hard on the inside of her car. So even though it may have been easier for her to escape when she was in the water, she was probably already unconscious by the time her car fell. What didn’t make things any better was that her windows were broken so she was on the verge of drowning. Luckily, we were able to get someone down there before her heart completely stopped. One of the divers was able to break the glass enough to pull Mina out of there and back to the surface. She had multiple cuts and bruises all over her body and her heart almost failed on us. Not only that, no one knows how much damage that impact had on her brain.” Dr. Choi realized that he may have been saying all of those things too fast for Eunhyuk to take in so he tried to reassure him that you were going to be fine. “But I will say that Mina is making remarkable progress. It’s like her body is fighting all of the pain and it makes it much easier for her to make a fast recovery…She’s a strong woman.”

Eunhyuk smiled knowing that fact and he eased up a nit. “How long will she be in the coma?”

“No one knows. But with progress like hers, I wouldn’t say more than a month.”

A month without you was all Eunhyuk could think about. “Anything else.”

“I guess you should know about the other woman.”

Both Eunhyuk and Donghae looked at Dr. Choi with a confused look. “What other woman?”

Dr. Choi sighed. “Our group of divers was never able to reach the other vehicle that fell into the water. The woman that was inside the car didn’t make it out alive…”

Eunhyuk and Donghae just sat there with their mouths open a jar.

“Your wife is very lucky Mr. Lee…” And with that Dr. Choi stood up to visit other patients.

Eunhyuk continued to cry into his friend’s arm as he held onto what Dr. Choi said. He knew you were extremely lucky to be alive, and he also knew that having you in his life was now a miracle, and that made Eunhyuk cherish you even more.

It had been two weeks since the accident and you were still in a coma. Your husband had spent most of his time by your side, only to leave to go home and freshen up. Eunhyuk had called his managers and members to tell them to cancel all of his schedules so that he could be there when you woke up. And with a free schedule, he spent almost all of his time sitting by your bed holding your hands and occasionally burying his head into his hands as he cried. The man had barely gotten any sleep, he just dosed off for an hour or two when his body had reached his peak. Donghae would make sure to stop by whenever he was off work and he practically forced his friend to go home and rest while he watched your motionless body. Eunhyuk would hesitantly leave, only to come back in a couple of hours to be back by your side.

One evening Eunhyuk’s eyes were about to shut due to exhaustion, but he suddenly felt a twitch in his palm. His eyes shot open and he had regained his full strength from out of nowhere. His eyes were wide and his body was still as he waited for another response. And within a few minutes he saw your fingers start to fidget. He started calling out your name, hoping you would respond.

“Mina!....Mina!” He started shaking your hand and slowly your eyes start to squeeze shut and your eyebrows furrowed. Your husband called out your name again. “Mina! Come back to me jagi…come on…please…” He continued to shake you and stopped when he felt the grip from your hand start to tighten. Moments later, your eyes slowly started to open up. You had opened your mouth to whisper something but it was muted by the oxygen mask. Eunhyuk gently lifted the mask only a few millimeters away from your mouth so that he could hear you. But all he heard has your staggered breathing and something that sounded a lot like his name. He kept calling out to you as your eyes fully opened. You blinked multiple times, trying to adjust to the lights in the room. You were confused about where you were and what had happened to you. The last thing you remembered was a loud roaring sound coming towards you. You could still faintly hear the sound in your ears but it was taken away by a peaceful, steady beat and the soothing voice of your husband. After you had adjusted to the lighting you tried to focus on anything to clear your vision. Everything seemed like a blur that was slowly forming together. Finally your vision went back to 20/20 and the first person you saw was a relieved Hyukjae.

Hyukjae was in tears as he held tightly onto your hand. You could tell that he wanted to wrap you into a bear hug but there was something on his face that to you that he was being cautious, almost as he were afraid to touch you or hurt you in any way. You figured that it probably had something to do with your current condition and you were about to ask him what happened but before you could, a group of doctors and nurses walked into the room. One of the nurses pulled a reluctant Hyukjae out of the room while the others were muttering things that you couldn’t comprehend. You were stuck in the room for what felt like hours as the doctor ran multiple tests on you. The entire you were in there, you kept on asking everyone what actually happened but they all said that the doctor would tell you once he felt like your body would be able to handle the stress. So you had spent another night in the hospital and fell asleep after taking multiple medications. You were woken up the next morning by a knock on your door. The door opened and your doctor came in and placed a chair by your bedside.

“Morning Ms. Chang. Good to see that you have made a wonderful recovery.”

“Thank you doctor…”

“Choi.”

You smiled. “Thank you Dr. Choi. Where is my husband?”

“He’s sleeping in the waiting room with one of his friends. He’s been over tired lately so last night his friend finally convinced him to take a break. A nurse will inform them that you have woken up and that you can go home as soon as I’m done talking with you.”

You said that you refused to tell me anything until my body could handle the stress…What does that mean? And how long have I been in here?”

“About 2 weeks. You actually woke up faster than what was expected.”

“2 weeks? Oh my goodness! What happened to me?” The doctor sighed as he told you the entire story. Your heart was racing as you tried to register everything. You found it hard to believe that you were still alive and felt unbelievably grateful. Suddenly a thought popped in your head. “Dr. Choi, what about the other drivers involved in the accident? Are they okay?”

“Well the truck driver is completely fine. Just a few broken bones and a cut every here and there.”

“And what about the vehicle that was in front of me?...You said that that car had also fallen into the river.”

Dr. Choi let out a heavy sigh. “Unfortunately the divers only had enough time to reach one of you before it was too late. By the time they had rescued you and went back down for the other woman, she was already pronounced dead….her and her baby never had a chance.”

“Baby? B…but you said that only one person was in the car.”

“Technically yes…but the woman was pregnant. Our men tried to see if they could recover the baby from inside the womb but sadly the baby had died too.”

“I killed an unborn baby?” Your voice was breaking at the thought. You and Hyukjae had often talked about having kids and the thought of you killing a baby made your heart break.

“Ma’am…this wasn’t your fault. No one knew that the woman wouldn’t make it by the time we got to her. No one knew any of this would happen…You didn’t do anything.” Dr. Choi tried to make these words stick in your head but you had developed this new guilt and your heart became unbelievably heavy.

Dr. Choi left you by yourself as you tried to think straight again. After a few moments Donghae and Hyukjae was knocking at your door frame. Donghae came in with a huge smile on his face as he greeted you and tried to put a smile on yours. Meanwhile, Dr. Choi had pulled Hyukjae to the side.

“She should be fine and she’s more than able to function properly. But I still want you to keep a close eye on her. No one knows what psychological problems she will have, but I can guarantee that she will be very emotional and sensitive, You’re going to have to work with her to get her back to normal…And if anything happens at all, I want you to rush down here as soon as possible.”

Hyukjae gave Dr. Choi a simple nod as he made a mental note of everything he was instructed to do. After that, Hyukjae made his way into the room to see how you were. Donghae stepped to the side as Hyukjae took your hand in his. Your hands were cold and lightly shaking so Hyukjae held them tighter as he gave you s smile telling you that everything would be okay. He then picked you up and gently placed you in a wheelchair while Donghae gathered all of your stuff. Before you all left the room, Hyukjae knelt down in front of you and placed a loving kiss to your forehead. With a forced smile, he stood up and then all three of you left the hospital and head home.