Receiving the News

Break Down

Eunhyuk had been sitting by the front of the building for about an hour. He knew you said that traffic was really heavy but even then, you should’ve showed up at least 10 minutes ago. He began calling your cell phone repeatedly but each time he was taken to voice mail. He grew worried and was pacing back and forth, wondering why you weren’t answering his calls.

“She’s probably still driving and she doesn’t want to answer the phone when it’s raining like this….yeah, that’s it.” He kept mumbling things like this to himself to keep calm. But at the back of his mind he knew something was wrong. He tried to hide his worried expression so that he wouldn’t be surrounded by a bunch of people asking what was wrong. He smiled and greeted everyone that passed by as he kept glancing at the window, hoping that your car would pull up. Donghae had snuck up behind Hyukjae to scare him and ask for his phone back but stopped in his tracks when he saw the expression on his friend’s face.

“Yah, hyung. What’s wrong?”

“Nothing Donghae. I’m just waiting for Mina…Did that manager want me?”

“No…I just came by to ask for my phone.”

“Oh…here.” Hyukjae tried to hand Donghae his phone back but Donghae just put it back in his hands.

“Eunhyuk…what’s wrong?”

“I told you. Nothing.”

“I know you better than that and that’s one of the worst lies you’ve ever told me. Now what’s wrong?”

“I said nothing.”

“Hyukjae…we’re best friends. If something’s wrong then you can tell me.” Donghae never used his real name unless he was being serious, and right now he was really concerned for his elder.

Hyukjae sighed. “It’s Mina. She called me over an hour ago saying that she would be here in a couple of minutes. I don’t know what’s happened to her….Why won’t she answer my calls? What if she got hurt in this weather? What if-”

“Hyung, I’m sure she’s fine. She’s a big girl and she knows how to take care of herself. Maybe she’s almost here and her phone died.”

“I hope you’re right. I don’t think I would forgive myself if anything happened to her. It’s my stupid fault for forgetting my phone and asking her to drive in this rain.”

“You know…I hope that I can be like you when I get married. You care so much about Mina….But sometimes I think you’re too hard on yourself. You should let others take care of you for a change.”

“You don’t understand. I’m more dependent on Mina than she is on me…that’s why I want to protect her all the time.”

Donghae looked confused. “That doesn’t make sense.”

“It does if you think about it.” The two best friends were cut off from their conversation when they heard people calling for them. They rushed down the hallway and saw their manager standing by a door. They quickly went to the dressing room to get their makeup done. Before stepping out to the interview Donghae had handed his phone to the manager when no one was looking.

“Hyung, please keep my phone while we’re on air. If you get a call from Mina then please call Eunhyuk out immediately. He’s been worried sick.” The manger nodded and then told Donghae to hurry on set. While greeting the mc’s and the audience, Donghae went right next to Eunhyuk to grab his hand. He squeezed it a little and the two smiled at each other for a second. Half of it was for fanservice but the other half was to reassure his best friend that everything was going to be okay.

When the show was over Donghae and Eunhyuk rushed to their manager. The manager had told them that nothing had come from Mina and Eunhyuk started to really worry. He was frantically calling your phone but you still didn’t respond. Eunhyuk gave up trying to call and then ran to the dressing room where he slammed the door. The other members ran after him and found him curled up in a chair as he started to cry. Leeteuk tried to comfort him as the other started calling different numbers. Donghae finally got a hold of Eunhyuk’s mother.

“Yobosaeyo? Ms. Lee….Have you heard from Mina?....No?...Oh okay, I was just wondering.” Donghae looked at his friend and tried to help Leeteuk calm him down.

“Donghae, what did Umma say? Has Mina called?”

“No. She said that she hasn’t heard from her since she left Tous Les Jours. She said that she thought Mina was going to stay with you for the entire day so I just left it at that. I didn’t want her to worry too much.”

“Thanks. The last thing I want is for Umma to start worrying and then raise her blood level.”

“Exactly. And I think you should stop worrying too much as well. We’re not certain that something bad has happened to her so it’s useless to cry. Where ever she is, you just need to be strong for her and pray that she gets here before it gets too late. It’s still raining pretty hard and you wouldn’t want her to be in this weather when it’s too dark.”

“But Donghae…Mina should’ve been here by now! Where is she?!” The dancer started to cry even more and the members just sat around him trying to comfort him until they heard anything else. About 2 hours later Donghae’s began to buzz. Everyone’s head shot up and looked at the fish as he answered the call.

“Yobosaeyo?...No, but he is my friend…What? Oh my goodness!...Where is she now?...Okay thanks. I’ll be sure to tell Hyukjae and then we’ll get there are soon as possible. Thank you ma’am.”

Hyukjae practically jumped on Donghae. “Who was it? Was it Mina? Umma? What happened?”

Donghae started to talk slow…almost as if he was still trying to process what he had just heard. “Well, that was your mother’s phone.”

“What did she say? Where’s Mina?”

“Eunhyuk…that was a nurse on the phone. Your mother is at the hospital but she has been crying too much to even talk on the phone.”

Hyukjae’s voice began to break. “…Why would Umma be crying? Why is she in a ho…hospital?”

Donghae’s eyes began to water. “It’s Mina….She’s been taken into ICU”

Hyukjae felt as though his entire world had crashed down on him. He fell to the floor and started to cry until his throat hurt. Leeteuk just grabbed the shaking boy into a hug and held him tight, trying to calm him down. The others just stood around and watched the man cry as tears threatened to fall down their faces too. Suddenly Hyukjae stopped crying and begged for someone to drive him to the hospital. They all decided to go in their van so that they could support their member and his family. Shindong and Leeteuk sat in the front while Donghae, Kyuhyun, Ryeowook, and Sungmin all sat at the back to comfort Hyukjae. The car ride was long and tense and no one dared to say a word. When they reached the parking lot Hyukjae couldn’t get out of the vehicle fast enough. He ran through the rain that was now clearing up and rushed through the doors. He found his moth crying on a bench and ran up to hug her. The mother and son cried while the other members were gathering around them.

“Umma…Umma! What happened to her? Where is she?”

Ms. Lee was crying too much and Ryeowook went up to hold her as she cried. Getting frustrated, Hyukjae ran up to a nurse that was walking by.

“Excuse me miss! Do you know where I can find Chang Mina?” The nurse checked her listed to see the name.

“Ahh yes. Ms. Chang Mina is in Room 412…Down the hall and then take a left.”

“Thank you!” Hyukjae was about to make a run for it but the nurse stopped him.

“Excuse me sir, but I have strict orders not to let anyone inside that room. That patient has just been moved in there after being treated in the ICU. No one is allowed in.” Hyukjae ignored her and ran off with Donghae right behind him. “Sir? Sir! You’re not allowed there!” The nurse then went up to one of the security guards that was in the room and told them to stop Hyukjae and Donghae.

The two had just reached the door when the security guard grabbed them from behind and pushed them away from the door. The 3 had created a scene as Hyukjae was crying and trying to push through with all of his strength. More security guards had come by and Donghae and Hyukjae were now being held down by several bigger men as they were yelling and screaming. Suddenly a doctor had walked by and order for all of them to stop. The doctor had taken Donghae and Hyukjae back to the waiting area as he tried to explain to them.

“Look, I realize that you are family and friends and I know how hard it must be to have someone in that type of situation, but please respect our hospital’s rules. Any sort of commotion can cause a disturbance in our work and it’s not safe for anyone. If you two cause another scene then I’m going to have to ban you from coming here.”

“Hyukjae began to calm down a bit. “Sir…that’s my wife in that room. Please tell me she’s okay.”

The doctor sighed. “She had a lot of injuries and her lungs nearly failed on her. We were able to get her breathing back to normal and we were able to treat most of the damage. However, she did suffer from a major head injury and we’re not sure how long it will take for her to fully recover from that. All I can say is that she’s lucky that we got to her when we did…She was almost pronounced dead by the time she had arrived in ICU.”

Hyukjae was about to cry again but Donghae held his hand and gave the Doctor a look. “You know, that’s not really what he needs to hear about his wife right now, Dr…”

“Choi…Dr. Choi.”

“Right…Is Mina alright now?”

“Like I said. She needs time to fully recover. She’s currently in a coma and we’re waiting for her to wake up so that we can run a few more tests and then we can release her.”

Hyukjae couldn’t hold back his tears any longer. “C…Coma? Will she wake up? What if she doesn’t?”

“Don’t worry sir. We’re positive she’ll wake up. We’re not sure when but all of the signs are good and honestly, we’re not worried about her not waking up.”

Hearing that calmed down both Donghae and Hyukjae. “Sir…would you mind telling me what happened to my wife.”

Dr. Choi sighed as started to explain what was in the reports of the accident. The rest of the night was filled with tears as Hyukjae pictured every moment that was being explained to him.