The Accident

Break Down

A bout a week had passed since your anniversary and both of your schedules had returned to normal. It was a Friday morning and you were ready to get work out of the way so that you could enjoy the weekend. You quickly got ready and decided to take your car to Tous Les Jours since it was raining. On the way to work your phone began to ring. You answered and put on speaker.

“Yobosaeyo?”

“Yobosaeyo? Mina?” It was Hyukjae’s mother.

“Annyong Umma! How are you doing?”

“I’m doing fine but I’m afraid that I’m running a bit late. Would you mind opening the bakery?”

“Sure. I can do that. Just drive carefully and don’t try to rush through this kind of weather.”

“Aigoo. My daughter-in-law is so caring and responsible…My Hyukie is so lucky to have married you.”

“Believe me, I’m the one who’s lucky. I have a great husband and a wonderful mother-in-law who is like my best friend.”

“Aww. I love you daughter!”

You giggled because she always addressed you as her daughter instead of an in-law. “I love you too Umma! I’ll see you at the bakery.”

After 30 minutes of driving through the heavy rain you finally made it to the bakery. By some miracle you were able to find a parking space a few blocks down from the store so you quickly parked your car before anyone else could and dashed through the rain to open up the bakery. You all of the lights and the heater and then sat down at the front counter waiting for Ms. Lee or any customers to walk in. About 45 minutes had passed by and nothing was happening. You began to grow bored and took out your phone to text Hyukjae. He never replied once and you figured that he must have been busy with s. You sighed and put your head down. Unconsciously you had taken a nap and you were woken up by Ms. Lee patting your head.

“Tsk tsk..Sleeping on the job?”

“U..Umma! When did you get here?”

“Just a few seconds ago. How long have you been sitting here?”

“I think just over an hour. I’m really sorry for falling asleep. I guess that’s not very professional.”

“It’s okay sweetie. It’s a Friday morning so there won’t be any business till around rush hour. I know how boring it gets to just sit here. I would’ve fallen asleep too if I didn’t have any company.”

“Still, I should’ve stayed awake in case someone walked in.”

“Sweetie, I said it’s okay. Next time, if you’re ever bored and the place is dead like this then you can always go to my office in the back and rest there.”

“But…”

“No buts. Just take a break whenever you feel tired. You do enough for me and my family.”

You smiled and hugged her.

“Oh that reminds me…Hyukjae called me this morning from Donghae’s phone and told me that he had left his phone here last night and asked if I could give it back to him. Do you mind if I pop out again?”

“Actually, I was meaning to go visit him today. I can take it to him. I know how much you hate driving through the rain.”

She smiled. “Thank you. And drive carefully. There have been a lot of accidents on the road today because of this rain.”

“Araso. I’ll be careful.” Then you went to the back to look for Hyukjae’s phone and after that you were out the door.

You knew Super Junior was having an interview at the SBS building so you took a different route so that your journey would be shorter. You were a little scared of driving since the rain was coming down hard and there was a slight fog on the road which made it extremely hard to see. You just kept you fingers crossed hoping that the rain would become lighter so that driving was not as scary. You were driving as carefully as you could but suddenly a random car came out of nowhere and cut you off, which caused you to break hard and your car skid on the slippery ground. You honked your horn and cursed to yourself. There was nothing you hated more than rude drivers on terrible days. But you calmed yourself down and just focused on getting to the SBS building in one piece. After a while you were starting to think if your shortcut was the best idea since it required making many turns and crossing over a bridge. You made sure to drive very slowly especially when you had to turn corners. You finally made it to the bridge and you tensed up because the road was especially slippery there and there was heavy traffic. You even jumped when you heard your phone ring. You checked the caller ID and saw Donghae’s name light up.

“Yobosaeyo? Jagi?” You smiled at your husband's voice.

“Hyukjae? How are you on the phone? I thought you had a really tight schedule today.”

“But I’m not doing much and I’m on break right now. And I missed your voice!"

"Aww I miss you too! Now why don't you really tell me why you called."

"But I did ymiss you! I miss you and Umma a lot! How are you guys? Are both of you safe?"

"Hyukie, you sound worried."

"I am worried. I asked Umma to drop off my phone and she's still not here. I really hope she's okay. I know how much she hates this kind of weather. Aish, I'm a bad son and an irresponsible person. I shouldn't be leaving my phone in the first place...Do you know where she is?"

“Hyukie, your not a bad son and you're not irresponsible. You just have a really busy schedule and it's easy to forget little things. You're just our Hyukjae and we love you. And don't worry about your mother, I’m dropping off your phone. I’m almost there actually.”

“Jinja? How long will you be? Do you want me to wait by the front window till you get here? Then I can walk you inside”

“I’d say about 20 minutes. And you don't have to wait by the front, traffic is really bad.”

“I'll do it anyway. I bet you didn't even carry an umbrella. I can shelter you from the rain with my jacket."

"But oppa! If you're using your jacket to cover me then that means you're going to get all wet. You really don't have to do all of that."

"No buts. I'll be waiting by the front till I see your car. Drive carefully Jagi! I love you!”

“I love you too Hyukie! I’ll see you soon. Bye!” You hung up the phone and you were too busy trying to put it away that you didn’t notice the loud honking noise that was coming from behind you. When you finally did you looked at your rearview mirror and saw a large truck that was skidding towards you at a very high speed. There was no space for you to move your car since there was another vehicle stuck in front of you, and even if you could, you knew you wouldn’t have enough time to drive away. So you struggled to open your car door but you were shaking too much to even grab hold of the handle. Suddenly it was like the loud honking was right next to your ear and a sudden pain had rushed through your entire body as you felt an impact from both your front and back. The hit had caused you to bang your head hard onto your window and suddenly everything went blank. You couldn’t see anything but you could still feel and hear your surroundings. The last things you heard were screams that were slowly drowning out. Suddenly you felt cold and wet and you could feel your body shutting down. After a while all the excruciating pain you had began to feel like nothing. You felt like your mind was the only thing that could function properly, but after sometime, that too started to fade and the last thing that showed in your mind was a blinding white light before you had completely shut down.