Reminiscing

Break Down

It was the day of your 2nd anniversary with your husband, Hyukjae. You still remembered the first day you both met. A smile crept on your face as you reminisced the day like it was yesterday.


It was a chilly, windy day with rain that would not stop for hours. You were a new employee at the well known bakery, Tous Les Jours, and because of the weather you had to work long hours on that particular day. You had spent hours helping customers find something sweet and warm to eat after they had escaped from the harsh weather. It took a lot out of you because a lot of them were uptight and kept complaining because you had trouble working the till. It had gotten dark outside and you felt like you couldn’t take anymore when one customer started yelling at you and insulting you for not knowing how to do your job. That’s when Ms. Lee came around to sort everything out. She handled the customer and gave you a cup of hot coffee, telling you to sit down and rest. You smiled at your boss and admired her hard work. You couldn’t help but notice how wonderful she really is, and not just because of her work but also because of who she raised. You knew exactly who she was from the day you asked for the job, in fact there wasn’t anyone who didn’t know who she or her son was. She was mama Hyukjae and her son was the dancing machine of Super Junior. You had never personally met the idol, but that was definitely one of the reasons why you applied at the bakery. He was one of your biggest crushes, and even if you never got the chance to meet the man, just meeting one of his family members was enough for you. You never complained about never even seeing him because you knew he had busy schedules and you knew your place. You were simply a worker at a bakery, hoping to earn some money to help you pay for bills and your last year of college. Ms. Lee noticed that about you and for that she liked you a lot. Ever since she hired you, she referred to you as “the daughter she never had” and just hearing that was enough to make your day.

You snapped out of your thought when you heard the bells on the door, indicating that someone had entered. It was a man who was wearing a hoodie that covered his face, so you couldn’t tell what he looked like. You were about to greet the mysterious man but he rushed right passed you and went to the back doors. Ms. Lee followed after the man and you figured that he must have been a friend. You ignored what just happened and went back to the empty till. A few minutes later the man came out from the back. You tried to catch a glimpse of his face but he went to the other part of the bakery to look for something to eat. He had his back turned to you while he was looking so you still couldn’t see his face. Ms. Lee then came behind you to tell you something, so you didn’t see when the mysterious man had slowly made his way to the counter. When your boss was done whispering in your ear, you turned around, only to see a perfect pair of brown globes staring right at you. The man’s face was only a few inches away from you and you couldn’t stop staring into his gentle gaze. It took you a few minutes to finally realize that the man in front of you was Lee Hyukjae. He smiled at you warmly and greeted you.

“Annyonghasaeyo….I’m Lee Hyukjae.” Even his voice was soft and gentle.

You tried to hide your blush as you introduced yourself. “A…Annyonghasaeyo. I’m Ch…Chang Mina. It’s nice to meet you sir.”

A smirk grew on his face. “Aish...What a pretty name. It matches your pretty face.”

Your cheeks became a deeper tone of red and you tried your hardest to hide it, especially when Ms. Lee came behind her son.

“Ahh, So you’ve finally met the new employee.”

“Umma…You never told me you were hiring such attractive workers. If I had known that someone as cute as Mina started working here, then I would’ve left practice early just to stop by here and get something to eat.” Both him and his mother laughed as you stood there trying to hold your screams.

“Not only is she cute, but she’s one of my favorite employees. She’s such a hard worker and she gives off a good aura. I really wish she were my own daughter…or even as an in-law...She’s just that much of a delight.” Both you and Hyukjae blushed as the two of you picked up on what she was heavily hinting. She finally left you two alone and instead of buying the pastry he was holding; he put it to one side and stayed to talk to you.

“So my mother seems to like you a lot.”

“I’m so glad. She’s a really sweet woman. I think of her like my real mother sometimes.”

“Oh…and what do you think of me?”

You blushed at his question. “You seem nice.”

“Just nice? Not charming or awesome?  I don’t impress you? I’m sure you know who I am.” He sounded almost with your short meaningless reply. You just chuckled.

“Of course I know who you are. I love Super Junior…I’m actually a really big ELF. I just know that right now I’m a worker and you’re a customer. I’m not going to scream like a fangirl and beg for your autograph.”

He laughed. “Correction, I’m your boss’s son….So…Who’s your favorite member? Donghae? Leeteuk?” You just looked down and tried to hide the goofy smile that was on your face. “Oh come on! You can tell me. I promise I won’t get upset if it’s not me.” You still continued to look down. “…Is it me?” You looked up slightly, refusing to make eye contact. “It is me! Wow! I have such a pretty fan!”

The two of you continued to talk for over an hour. You would’ve spent more time getting to know each other but Hyukjae had gotten a call and said that he needed to leave. He handed you the pastry he initially intended to buy and you quickly wrapped it up in a paper bad for him. When you handed him the receipt to sign he just put his number down and handed it back to you.

“Umm…” You looked at him and held up the paper.

“That’s for you. Call me some time…I’d like to take you out on a date when you’re free.”

“Thank you Eunhyuk.”

“Call me Hyukjae. Everyone who’s close to me calls me Hyukjae.”

You blushed hard. “But we just met.”

“I know. But I plan to become very close with you.” He winked at you before he walked out into the cold.

Suddenly, Ms. Lee came out from the back and opened her arms for you to hug her. You walked into her embrace and she hugged you tight. “Looks like you will become my in-law! I’m so happy!”

“Oh no Ms. Lee. He just asked me out on one date. I wouldn’t get my hopes up…he probably runs into tons of pretty girls on a daily basis. He would get tired of me after a while.”

“But I know my son, and I could tell that it was love at first sight...And call me mama Hyukjae or Umma from now on. You’re my future daughter-in-law so you should to get used to it.”

You tried to ignore her comment but her words were true. After the first date, you and Hyukjae stayed in constant contact. You went on frequent dates and whenever he was overseas promoting, he made it a point to either call you or have dates through video chats. After 3 months of dating he introduced you to the other members of SJ and they all welcomed you like a little sister. You had officially become a part of the SUJU family. After your graduation, Hyukjae had asked you to move in with him and he finally moved out of the dorm so that you and him could buy a small home that was close to the SM building and Tous Les Jours. After six months of living together, Hyukjae asked you to marry him and you said yes without a second thought. You spent months planning the wedding and after 7 months you found yourself walking down the aisle to seal your fate with the man you fell in love with. You still remembered how both of you held hands tightly as you both exchanged vows. They were different from the normal wedding vows because you felt like Hyukjae truly meant every word he was saying. He promised to love you, respect you, and protect you for as long as he lived. And he tried every day to keep that promise. And in the past two years that you were married to him, you learned that it was just his personality to look after everyone he cared about. But you also learned that he was quite fragile when left alone. You learned that even though he was stronger than anyone you had ever come across; he needed the most comfort because he had the softest heart. You respected that and gave him the same amount of love and care that he gave you, and sometimes even more.


You were suddenly taken away from your multiple flashbacks when you heard a noise coming from downstairs. A smile immediately grew on your face because you knew who it was.

“Jagi? I’m home!”