Chapter 13

Because the Next Step Is Invisible

 

“Please tell me what happened.” I’m almost surprised at hearing this question because it is so unlike Minho to probe into the matters of other people. But I guess that it’s just too obvious that something is wrong. Still, I have no idea whether I should answer him or not.
I stand there with my eyes lowered not knowing what to do until he takes the decision from me.
“I need to confess something.” My gaze returns to him quickly as he says that. “And I want to apologize in advance. I’m sorry that I did what I did. It was really disrespectful—“
“Just spit it out!” I can’t stand it when  people don’t get to the point.
Minho gnaws at his lip. His insecure behavior unsettles me.
“Okay. After we’d swapped rooms I changed the bed sheets and a piece of paper fell into my hands. I didn’t know what it was, so I read it. Really, it was not my intention to invade your privacy or anything.” Slowly, I exhale. It’s obvious what it is that he’s found.
“It was a page of your diary.” he continues. “You wrote… about Jonghyun. I’m very sorry, Key. I hope you’re not too mad at me.” He bows his head, looking sincerely regretful.

I clench my fists. So he knows.

What now?
“Please tell me what happened.” he makes a new attempt. “After having read this, I’m only more worried.”
So I give in. Because I trust Minho. And because I’ve already fallen onto the floor from so high up, there aren’t any more bones to break.

I tell him how everything has started. How we have taken the first step of our staircase with that kiss. And how we have climbed higher and higher. I also mention that last step that has made me trip; the night we’ve spent together. Although I don’t go into detail, the shock is blatantly visible in his features, but he doesn’t say anything. I act like I haven’t noticed his astonishment and continue with everything that’s happened before he arrived. Leaving some of the drama out, I still explain the general situation to him: that we’re both in love with each other but that I don’t trust him. Thus, we won’t be together. All’s well that ends well.
When I finish, Minho blinks a few times. Then he says,
“Thank you for telling me. But… aren’t you a little harsh on him? I understand why you’re upset and why you’re angry with him. Still, I don’t think that Jonghyun would lie about something as important as this. And especially not to his best friend. Maybe you should just go and talk to him once more when you have calmed down.”
Talking to Minho is really pointless. Did he even listen to me?
“I just told you that he’s lost my trust. How should I “calm down” then? There’s nothing to talk about.”
“I think there’s a lot you two need to talk about. I know it’s none of my business, but I want to help you. Just give it another try.”

I sigh, annoyed. “I think you don’t understand my situation. I can’t and I won’ttalk to him. Just let it be.” I’m about to leave for the kitchen to drink something, but then I remember to add, “And thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.” and I mean it.

The rest of the evening I spend in the kitchen sipping a glass of lukewarm tap water. I stare at the wall and only leave my seat to eat dinner with the others. When it’s time to sleep, I get ready for bed and then walk – without a second thought –  into my bedroom.
Only upon entering, I don’t find my striped covers on the bed next to the door, but Minho’s red ones.
“What is this?” I ask Onew, who’s sitting under his blanket with a book in his lap. “Where’s my stuff?”
He looks at me, confused. “Minho told me that you wanted to change the rooms back. So he swapped all your belongings. Was that not right?”
The sound of a switch being flipped in my head is almost audible. Of course that guy wouldn’t give up that easily.

I groan, in fact wanting to curse, but my manners are too good to do so.

Minho must have swapped our rooms while I was sitting in the kitchen. He probably wants to force some interaction onto Jjong and me.
“Where is he now?”  The moment I get my hands on him, he’ll be in real trouble. Beware the almighty Key.
“He’s gone to Super Junior’s dorm together with Taemin. They wanted to watch some action movie.”
“Thanks.” Without another word I slam the door shut.
Outside, I hesitantly walk towards my new-old room. Standing in front of it, I pinch the bridge of my nose. I have no chance to get my revenge on Minho tonight, neither can I avoid sleeping in my own room. 
There’s no way around this.