Chapter 10

Because the Next Step Is Invisible

If he had to see Key once after that situation with his diary, he would jump out of the window, Jonghyun thinks. That’s why he has left the apartment right after being kicked out of his room, at first without a destination. Soon he has ended up calling Sekyung, because wandering the streets alone has made him so sick of himself, he feels like throwing up.
They meet at an unpopular run-down café a few blocks away from SHINee’s apartment building.
She hugs him tightly as a greeting and he feels her curves against his body. He wonders now if it’s actually supposed to feel right like this, with her small frame, soft chest and all that femininity.
Inside the café Sekyung removes her winter coat, so that Jonghyun notices her dress just barely covering her . Despite having felt so wrong just a second ago, the sight of her draws him in.
They sit down, order something and then she starts talking. At the beginning she complains about her manager, he still remembers that, but then he loses concentration.
Her dress. It’s revealing such a big amount of skin and hugging chest so perfectly that he can’t help but stare.  He is somehow reminded of the moment when he watched Key do that girl group dance in his room. How appealing that looked and how seductive his gaze was.
Just now, something clicks in Jonghyun’s mind and the sensation settles in his stomach that something is off. His thoughts. And his emotions.
Sekyung’s voice is switched off by his brain, her words to no interest at all, even the spark in her eyes doesn’t get to him anymore. But her body still does. He wonders when it has become like this, he’s always liked her so much, been in love with her… And why does he think in past tense? He doesn’t want to be in that café right now, he wants to be home. He doesn’t want to hear her go on and on about her manager, but he wants to apologize. To Key.
At the beginning, he was so focused on Sekyung’s cute words and attitude. He liked to take walks with her, buy her little presents, visit the mall. With Key he would do almost the same, they would also go shopping and wander the streets. But during his time with Sekyung his heartbeat picked up speed and he kissed her, spent the night with her. Of course he had never considered doing that with Key. And why should he have? You don’t do that with a best friend. Only when Key had suddenly managed to make his adrenaline flare up (Jonghyun doesn’t even know why it happened so suddenly from one instant to the next) he had taken into consideration that the term “friends” might be pretty flexible. And also then had he noticed that that guy, Key, maybe has a lot more to tell him - things of greater importance, of deeper meaning - than his girlfriend. Sure, she’s one of those girls you lose your head over just by looking at her, but losing you head is something else than losing your heart.
Now Jonghyun is sitting at the table with a blank expression on his face. He’s thinking that he’s just wasting his time because she couldn’t possibly say even one thing that would matter to him. But at home there are a thousand things to be explained. He wants to go to his best friend, his best friend who’s in love with him and tell him—
Jonghyun knows what he should say. He should explain to him that he doesn’t like boys, has a girlfriend he’s happy with and thus will never be able to return his feelings. Because he’s still a little creeped out by two guys loving each other. Because he can’t get accustomed to the idea of not being completely straight anymore. And because he wonders what will become of Key and himself. (He’s just slightly afraid of the term “lovers”)
He folds his hands and looks down on them, since he’s somehow known this thought would come into existence, yet he can’t look at Sekyung’s face while having that on his mind.
Jonghyun does return Key’s feelings.
It still bruises his ego that he, the womanizer, has fallen for a man. But he pins it all on Key: on his femininity, on his feline eyes, on his bold but caring character and on his quirks. Why the hell does he realize this only now? Just two days earlier and he could have made everything work out, had he once tried to get actual words from Key’s lips and not only kisses. If he had asked himself why he had suddenly grown so close to him, he could have found the answer inside his own mind, he wouldn’t have needed to steal Key’s diary. Why is he so good at messing up?
The urge to rise from his chair and storm back home is overwhelming. Jonghyun lifts his gaze and sees Sekyung’s surprised face, knowing that he can’t put off the decision any longer. That woman, who’s only charm seems to be her body now, deserves an explanation. He doesn’t want to hurt another person by keeping his feelings and motives to himself.
So he flattens his hands on the table and looks her straight in the eyes. It would be unfair to stay together with her, towards both  Sekyung and Key.
“Actually, I’ve called you here for a reason.” he begins. “I’m sorry but… I can’t be with you any longer.”