Chapter 1

Because the Next Step Is Invisible

 

The music is unusually loud and annoying as Jonghyun puts off his shoes and drops his bag carelessly into one corner of the corridor of SHINee’s dorm. His mood is just as unusual, unusually great. When he hangs his jacket on the hall-stand, his girlfriend’s smile sticks to his retina like a plaster; she seems to be everywhere in his mind. He wants to replay the sound of her little giggles in his mind, but that music is just too loud to concentrate on anything. It’s blaring girl band pop, the volume turned up to a level, which can’t be healthy for a musician’s ears.

Annoyance is slowly rising in Jonghyun’s body and he wonders why none of the other members has taken the stereo and thrown it out of the window. Jonghyun stalks off into the direction of the music to find out who is responsible for this disturbance of peace (but he is sure he knows the identity of the wrongdoer anyway). Spoiling his excellent mood, really.
He opens the door to his room just a crack; a brick wall of sound smashing into his face. Glancing into a room, his mouth is torn between possibility 1. scrunching up of displeasure about the pure noisethat is hitting his ears or 2. curving up into a winning grin because his assumption has been right: it is his roommate Key whose music is screaming through the whole dorm. Eventually, Jonghyun’s lips settle on option three: parting slightly in silent wonder, as he realizes what it is that Key’s doing there. Key is dancing. That alone would never irritate Jonghyun but something is different about this dance. Maybe it is the fact that Key’s wearing baggy sweatpants and a shirt that hangs so loosely on his body that it slips from his shoulder every time Key moves his arm. (Why does Jonghyun even notice this?) Maybe it is because Key thinks that no one is watching. (Jonghyun shouldn’t feel the thrill of spying.) Maybe it is the expression Key has on his face when he practices or performs girl group dances – a girl would probably call it coy and seductive. (Jonghyun, as a man, would describe it as just the same.)

His hand is still around the doorknob, moving not an inch, as he keeps staring at his best friend who is just so naturally attractive and Jonghyun cannot protect himself from it.

Just then he recognizes the song, his friend is practicing the dance of.

Rainbow’s A.

He has branded it as slightly annoying and gawky before but now a sudden like for it sparks inside him.

Key’s mouth silently forms the meaningless Ohs andUhs of the song’s chorus, chest tilting forward, hips marking a perfect circle. Female grace makes up every one of his moves; from the drag of his foot over the floor to his hands running over his own body. Jonghyun is mesmerized to a point where he begins to wonder whose hips are curvier: those of Sekyung or those of Key.
He is still pondering the mystery, but suddenly Key lifts his shirt in synch with the music. Jonghyun has seen Key shirtless countless times, yet it looks so suggestive now that he just wants to burst into the room and tell him to stop it. He doesn’t know where that urge comes from, but it would be foolish anyway and would probably only lead to Key staring at him with those hostile eyes. He has noticed that stare too often lately; Key is all brooding silence and angry words. Why though, he still has to figure that out. Best friends shouldn’t just change their behavior by 180°. It makes Jonghyun miss their interactions.

With a short Oh of both Key and Rainbow the music stops suddenly. Jonghyun feels like a spell is broken and as he wants to close the door again silently, his friend’s voice reaches his ears, sounding like expired milk tastes: “Welcome home, Jjong.”