Piece of Heaven

Hopes Die Last

 B-Bomb and I didn't speak to each other at all. Not that we would; there was nothing more than a teacher-student relationship between us. I wanted to talk to him so bad. It was irking me from the inside. So many questions found their ways in my mind after I had been pushing them aside for five years now. I would feel him looking intensely at me but he would never talk. The desire to initiate any kind of conversation was so big, it was eating me from the inside. But who wouldn't feel it, when they see their idol after five years of absence?

 I guess I was a coward. Not knowing what to say nor what to do, isn't this cowardice? Or is this feeling due to the formidable amount of jubilance? Exhilaration, constantly hitting me in the stomach every time my eyes met his. Every time I would turn my gaze sideways, afraid to stare back. Apparently, I had to make the first move. I can't just ask him where the others are, I thought, not even what happened. How was I supposed to proceed then?

 The realisation suddenly hit me. I had drifted away. Again. And in the next moment I was standing all alone in the classroom, staring right in the soul of nothing. My eyes wandered around until they landed on the clock then quickly moving to a familiar pair of eyes. The lecturer was standing before me, daggering my head with his resentful eyes.

"Are you not going with your classmates, Miss Lee?"

Silence followed as I felt the color drain from my face. He really had that daunting influence on me.

 "Mr. Lee, may I talk to you for a minute?" a thin voice, apparently mine, echoed in the empty, barely furnished classroom. I felt embarassment slowly crawling under my skin, painfully tearing it apart.

 "What for?" He uttered and I could almost see his attempt not to roll his eyes.

 "I don't know exactly..." I lowered my gaze, avoiding his inquiring eyes. "I..." A sigh escaped my lips because I was simply not able to form words in a proper sentence. I closed my eyes, trying to concentrate and gain some courage to speak the words aloud. "Did you know that there are still fans left?"

"What fans are you talking about, girl? I don't care if there are fans left. Summer is long gone and we certainly don't need a fan in the classroom." his expressionless face didn't even twitch while he was talking.

"I was not talking about this definition of the word." unexpectedly, I grew annoyed all of a sudden. "Block B. Have you forgotten?" probably my inquiring eyes or something in my words made his walls shake slightly.

 To my surprise a smile spread across his face. Not a genuine but a pitiful one. He pitied me and he didn't even try to hide it. "I have not forgotten. It's none of your concern though."

 I put my hand on my chest, pointing my heart. "You're still here. Block B is still here." Apparently, he thought that I would back off and walk away. But this was not the Jihye he thinks I am. More than everything I hate being pitied. Just the thought of somebody feeling this way towards me made me almost vomit.

 "We're not together anymore, girl. Face it." he lifted his shoulders nonchalantly and turned away, walking out of the classroom. Of course I knew that they weren't together. Did he think I was some kind of a retard? This was not a bother to me. What made me frown was the way he talked to me. He thought I was a kid he needed to educate. The way he spat out the word 'girl'. Did I look like a kid in his cold and unforgiving eyes? I just wanted to know why. Not why they disbanded but why did they not come back. My courage was not enough to ask this simple question. Why?

 

 Millions and millions versions of one simple question flowed in my mind.

 

 When hardships threatened to overwhelm my whole being I went to my favourite place. Not my room, not even my flat. It was a place where I could sit and think all by myself without being disturbed by anyone. It was under the long branches of an old willow located at the very edge of the park near the university. The branches looked like a wild green waterfall that let the soft and gentle sunlight sift through the delicate vines. The trunk of the tree was so old and wide that it wasn't possible for a human being to wrap their arms around it. I loved being here, absorbing the magical atmosphere and devotng myself to the calmness the damp soil was emitting.

 I sat on the cool ground and my back was resting on the rough surface of the tree's trunk. As soon as I entered this enchanting place I felt my hearbeat slow down and my body take in the fresh aroma of raw nature. It was like this tiny space, my paradice, was not a part of the world we live in. My little piece of heaven I liked to call it. It was only mine.

 A little bulk in my bag reminded me of why I was here. Right, I was there to read. A small smile spread across my face as I was taking out my favourite book. Daughter of smoke and bone, I read the title in my mind. How I loved that book, it made me feel like I was in another world, another time. I truly wished I had natural blue hair like Carou and be special with outlandish tattoos on my hands.

 

 Without even realising it, Jihye had dozen off. With the book laying in her lap and her head peacefully resting on her bare shoulder which wasn't covered with her silk blouse.

 

"No, I refuse to believe your words..." he shook his head in disbeleif, regret slowly built up in his soul, I could see it reflected in his teary eyes. "You can't..."

"Just believe me."

 

 My lids twitched and groggily opened, revealing bloody-red watery eyes, filled with tears, which were threatening to spill. I quickly wiped them out and got on my feet, still feeling dizzy from the nap. I grabbed my belongings and opened the veil of dark thin leaves. The night had already wrapped the peaceful park in its dark and mysterious embrace making the old trees look fearsome. The warm autumn air was now a rather cool breeze, glazing my skin. I felt my chest tighten because this wasn't the view I expected to see, moreover the odd dream somehow made my mood extremely dismal and melancholic.

 Again, with a sigh on my lips, I headed back to the warm and cozy apartment, which I happen to call my home.

 


 Author's note

 Hi! Did you know that in 10th grade everything is so much harder and one has so little time and so much work to do? Story of my life. I feel so bad for telling you every time that I will not be late with updates and here I am.....apologizing again. You must hate me by now. Enough ranting of the crazy teen that I am and I hope you like this chapter and continue support me even when I don't update as frequently as you wish. Take care guys, I love you!