First Encounter

Hopes Die Last

Tick-tack. Tick-tack.

The thin long hands of the wooden clock one o'clock. Never in my life seemed an hour so long. Seconds seemed to pass so sluggish that I wanted to strangle myself then and there. Even the white plain walls of the enormous auditorium were more interesting than the lecture. Even the specks of dust could cause more interest than the torturing boredom surrounding every single person in the room.

 But who could be blamed? The lecturer was some new guy who just started working in Seoul University. He finally went onto the podium and looked around the hall. Not that surprisingly, he was young and handsome. With he styled hair and fair skin, one could possibly assume he was no older than the students he was lecturing. Who knows, maybe he was. Those days the majority of men over twenty-five looked like models and could easily be mistakened as a boy in his early nineteens.

 Neither his handsomeness nor his warm voice caught my attention. Not that it couldn't be easily taken, considering I had zero interest towards the topic. Something in his whole body posture and figure looked strangely familiar. I felt like I have known him but I couldn’t remember from where. Yes, I was quite forgetful but it doesn't happen that fequently to know somebody and have no idea why. His voice was familiar too. I narrowed my eyes and tried harder to remember. Anything. Maybe I had met him accidentally on my way to the university building? Or was he somebody I once knew? Or probably... My eyes widened immediately when I eventually realized who he was. His figure was as slender as I remembered it, his face features as soft yet manly as before. Although he somehow looked much more mature. He had definitely grown up to a even better looking man. Either my eyes were playing tricks on my mind or my lecturer was really B-Bomb from Block B. It really was him. Since the day they disbanded, not a single word was heard, not a single track was found. Since that day Block B disappeared in the debris of forgotten fame and luxury.

That day was the day I decided for myself not to cry but pursue my dreams and help other groups, which are in bad situation. No tears were left. They had evaporated and were long forgotten. No tear was shed. Not a single one.

 My phone vibrated loudly and took me out of the deep concentration. I grabbed it and looked around to make sure if somebody had heard it but nobody had noticed. The screen lit up and I read the message I got:

 "Hello, dear! How are you doing lately? Are you eating well? I’m sure you study hard!" - Dad.

 Another message from Father. Another sequence of idle talk. Words that did not contain any concern or worry. He didn't really care for me. Occasionally he would send me these sort of messages just to remind me that he's still alive. For me, he wasn't my father anymore. We used to be very close and discuss everything together but now...Now I am ashamed of calling this man my father. I replied as short as possible and replied I was okay. Of course I was okay. Not until he interrupts my life with his stupid messages. Not even calls but messages. Like he was too afraid of the consequences of talking to his own daughter.

 

"Excuse me, Miss, would you like to come here and discuss the problem?" the lecturer and everybody else were staring at me, waiting for my reply. "N-No, I was just..." I stuttered. He only sighed in evident annoyance and turned his head back to the auditorium.

 "Yes. I will come." I stood up and went next to him and peered at him. For a second, I thought he looked a bit surprised but quickly recovered and gained his preceding neutral expression.

 "What's your name?" he asked with undiminished voice.

 "Lee Jihye." I answered shortly and gulped, ready to get scolded at.

 "Okay, Miss Lee, tell us, how would you proceed if a company had a finance problem?"

 "I would first analyse all the incomes of the company and then calculate the expenditures."

 He only raised an arousing brow and crossed his arms in front of his chest, without saying a word.

 "And then, I would discuss the matter with the employees in the company and define their outlooks."

 "So you would ask everybody for their opinions? Don't you think that conflicts would occurr?" I opened my mouth to defend myself but he cut me off "Okay, enough, you can take your seat. And no more phones, Miss Lee." I nodded and bowed and sat back on my seat. Why would he be so rude? Because my dad decided to care for me in the most unsuitable moment? I didn't know that B-Bomb was such a cold-hearted and haughty person.

 At the end of the lection, the noise in the hall could be heard even from outside. I was so relieved that the last lection for today was over and I could finally go back home and rest. What was B-Bomb actually doing in the university? How did he exactly end up as a lecturer? It seemed so unrealistic and ridiculous, it almost brought a smile on my face. The B-Bomb I remembered from before was cheerful and goofy. Not this grim and severe person he is now.

 Deep in thoughts about the day, I headed back home, where I would get a good dose of food and sleep.

 

 


 Author's note

 Hey guys, I'm baack! Woah, I feel like this turned much much better than the former first chapter! It was so hard for me to convince myself that I can do this again and it feels soo good to know that I've improved somehow. Probably I'm going to hide the other chapters because the things I've planned are sort of contradictory to those I have written before. So what do you think so far? Do you like it this way better?