Unexpected Prize

Hopes Die Last

 

 My fingers found their way through the guy’s hair, whose name I did not know yet. It was just as I had expected – soft, slightly wavy as I ruffled and played with the dark blonde strands of his hair. A thin little voice deep in my head whispered me that all this was wrong. Kissing a stranger in public without even knowing his name? Even I did not know what got to me, perhaps I was drunk or insane. Or maybe the poisonous fire I happened to drink brought out dangerous desires I had been suppressing over the time. To hell with it.

 Not all the way, though. I pulled away shortly before I would lose the little control of my body I had left. Of course, nothing ended there. He still held me tight and didn’t intend to let me go. I could see it in his eyes.

 Oh, these familiar eyes, I vaguely remember them, even though I had never seen them up that close. Who might guess? One thing I was sure of, I had never dreamt of kissing him. Those lips whose softness I had imagined for so long. Those brown almost black eyes whose piercing stare I had seen only on pictures but never in person, at least not directed right to my own.

 “I’ll go out for a breath.” I announced and stormed out of the cramped club leaving the poor guy clueless. Everything happened too fast. Was it really him? After all those years, he is practically hiding in a night club? I had almost lost my hopes. Almost. There still was this smoldering light inside me that kept me sane.

 In the next moment my sanity was at its worse. Tons of questions suddenly flooded my mind, threatening to lose myself in the ocean of uncertainty. Moments ago, I was blissfully enjoying my life and now… I was deeply confused.

 Just as I was about to head back in the club, the entrance door opened and the guy I was so shamelessly kissing a minute ago came out with anxiety written all over his face and body. He looked somehow pale and stiff, much worse than he was on the stage. There he looked like the passionate and hot dancer, who offered his body to the audience. Now, it was just him. The always caring and friendly U-kwon.

 “Is that what you do for a living now?” My voice sounded so thin and almost fanatic but I could not help it. I was still too startled. U-kwon just stared in bewilderment, obviously not being prepared for a question of this kind.

 “I have been doing this for almost…”

 “Five years.” I stated, “I know, Kim Yukwon.” My words slipped out of my mouth before I could stop them. Deep inside, I wanted to get away with this little secret I kept for around three minutes now and I needed to let it out. Otherwise I would have just smiled and waved it aside but not now. I still had alcohol running in my veins and still had an excuse for acting a bit more reckless than usual.

 “I have no idea who you are, sorry, I certainly do not know, whatever you mean. Five is a number one could guess easily…” He was too skeptical to believe me. But I saw it in the way his body stiffened as I spoke. U-kwon was only pretending but I knew better.

 “Block B Club. You might have forgotten, I suppose…” Again, I got anxious again. How would he react now that he really knew?

 “Of course not. One could not forget things like these so easily.” He spoke calmly and his eyes fell to the ground trying to hide the hot tears forming in them.

 Softly I hummed one of their songs I really liked. Then again, I did not know what got into me and why that particular song came to my mind. I just enjoyed the way its melody flowed through the chilly night air.

 U-kwon slowly lifted his gaze and his eyes were again on mine. He was indeed handsome, I could not deny it. The way his mouth was slightly parted made him look so young and fragile. He was also confused, I could see. In fact, confusion filled every single fiber of his body, he was at lost of words. If it weren’t the song, I would be too.

 Music had learned me how to speak out the truth when I felt like everything was wrong. I gradually got to know how to feel, not how to sing. U-kwon had probably lost this ability of his and it was high time somebody reminded him of this.

 “Have you thought about reuniting with the boys?” I asked out of the blue.

 “Yes, I have. But I don’t think this would ever happen since none of us wants it.” He shrugged, seemingly out of sorts.

 “How do you know?” I raised my brows in surprise.

 “Nobody wants to go through that hell again. I cannot force myself to feel such disappointment again.” His eyes filled with tears again as he mentioned his old friends.

 “You don’t have to force yourself to do anything, Yukwon. This is not what music is supposed to be. It is all meant to be for fun and for your own satisfaction.” I assured him with a mild smile.

 He smiled back, seemingly feeling better, “I still don’t know your name yet.”

 “Lee Jihye, nice to meet you here, Kim Yukwon.”

 

 Eventually, we went back in the club to finish what was already started as a wild party.

 “Taeil is probably wondering where I have gone…” Yukwon mumbled more to himself than to me.

 “So it was him, who was singing? I knew it!” I exclaimed with a beam on my face.

 “And there he comes.” He slid his hand into mine and smiled to his older friend.

 “Where have you been? I looked for you every…” he paused as he noticed out hands and rolled his eyes, “Oh, never mind…”

 “I am sorry if you have misunderstood.” I let go of Yukwon’s hand, “There is nothing much happening here, really. Sorry for being a bother to you, Taeil-shi.” I bowed my head and headed to the bar.

 “Give me something strong, Kiseop.” I said with a deep sigh on my lips.

 "What's wrong?" He asked concerned.

 "Nothing, just give me the drink." Irritation literally boiled inside of me all of a sudden.

 "Okay, but don't drink too much." he said worriedly and passed me the glass filled with alcohol.

 "Whatever." I mouthed to myslef and downed the burning liquid. At first, I felt nothing else than the strong whiskey burning my throat. But then I felt it – my body hitting the the hard floor. The world spun and my sight blurred. Was it that strong?

 

 “You almost fainted, God damn it! I am not serving you any alcohol drinks for now on, Lee Jihye.” Kiseop’s voice was somehow distant, like I was surrounded by a thick fog that hindered me from hearing properly. He helped me to stand up and sit on one of the stools beside the bar.

 “It was not that bad, don’t be silly…” I said while struggling to form proper sentences and clearing my vision along with it.

 

 “Are you ready for tonight's surprise?" Everybody cheered in response. "Our secret agents were sneaking around, searching for tonight's winner of the game!"

 "Wait, what game?" I asked in confusion but didn't get an answer as everybody had focused their atention elsewhere.

 "It was really hard for us to decide who was the best party animal. But we have chosen one.” The man paused to make it more dramatic, I suppose. “The winner is Miss Lee Jihye! Come here on the stage to receive your prize!"

 "What kind of joke is this?? This is some sort of mistake... I'M NOT A PARTY ANIMAL." I laughed overreacted but went on the stage anyway. If I could get something free, why not?

 "Okay, I see you're all eager to see the prize." Curiousity was stronger than alcohol. Although I had a decent amount of it in my system I still was curious to see what I had won. I gazed in the direction the DJ was pointing at. Was that a lame joke, really?

 "Jihye, you have U-kwon all for yourself for one night. He chose you himself. Now you can do whatever you want together!" The DJ wiggled his eyebrows and I could feel the females in the club groan loudly in despair.

 The dizziness made my senses much slower and I still could not comprehend what on earth was going on. Yukwon probably noticed my baffled expression and took my hand and led me down to the dance floor.

 “That fate has strange intentions, huh?" He asked with a sincere smile adorning his face.

 "What are you even talking about? Forget about all this stuff, I'm going home." I took my jacket from the bar, bid a short 'bye' to Kiseop and left the club.

 This night could not get more ridiculous than it were. First I met Kim Yukwon, then I danced with him and we even kissed and now I have him staying for a night. Where? At my flat?

 "You won't take your prize with you?" I heard U-kwon shouting behind me.

 "No."

 “But...I have nowhere to stay..." he lowered his voice.

 "Are you lying?" I turned my head to him.

 "No, why would I?"

 "Because you kissed me. I didn't have the intention to kiss you. You first kissed me." I shot back without thinking much.

 "Yeah, but you liked it, am I wrong?" I wanted to say 'no' but then I should be called a liar. I felt a slight hotness crawl up my spine and show on my rosy cheeks.

 "Okay, you may come. But only for a night! No more longer, okay?"


 

Author's note

Hello guys! I had a trouble writing this chapter, I don't even know why otl. Don't hate me please, I know I update too irregularly but I can't really make myself to write every day, even every week. I hope you are still interested in this story although I don't feel it is any special now a year later after I came up with the idea. Sorry for being so lazy and I love you so much for supporting me!
 

On a side note, remember when I asked you which character I should choose for the oneshot with EXO? Well, in the end, I chose Suho. Undying Love <--This is the story if you want to read it, I would love to read your comments if you liked it!