Six

Academy Of War

 

Ahhhh. . . More new students. How boring. I glance quickly over my shoulder, checking to see who is behind me in these endless pews.

Looser, Looser, Loo-Ah! Donghae! I think excitedly, grinning. He didn't seem to notice, and continued to chat with the amused looking boy beside him. I chuckle lightly, glad that Donghae seems to be having fun.

Donghae has always been a friend, since we went through 'initiation' together. Experiences like that are hard to forget. Being dragged away from your home to be taken to some strange, and secluded, building is an experience all of us had to go through, and in turn, we had each made one, or two, great friends. Donghae was that person for me, and I was that person to him.

The one he could trust unconditionally.

Of course, I had told him my 'real' name, but he had probably forgotten. Hell, even I'd forgotten my 'real' name. I think all of us had, though. How could we not, after that strange day? Then, we all had to watch countless others go through it, some failing, very few succeeding. That was what we were here for today. Another trial. Maybe more.

I swear, they bring huge batches of these kids in at a time, then purposefully miss some so they have a reason to call more assemblies. Assemblies are usually called around five times a year, and at least three of them are wasted on trials.

These assemblies, they aren't very exciting, either. Most of the time we just watch some inexperienced kid go into that mysterious weapon room, get high on himself, then come out and get his kicked. AND, we have to watch it OVER AND OVER AGAIN. The first assembly of the year is especially bad, since most new kids come then, and they all have to get tested that day. Keep in mind, sometimes there are hundreds of these kids. I've even seen Teukie have to switch out sometimes. Not that I blame him, in any way.

Ahh, I think I just heard Donghae laugh. I turn around briefly to see him grinning. Geez, sometimes he's so cute. I'm a guy and everything, so I don't mean it in that way, but even guys think babies are cute. It's odd though. . . sometimes, kids have weird reactions to the teacher who tests them, and not their peers, like me and Donghae. Leeteuk, mainly, since he is the combat teacher. It's pretty rare though, and I'm glad it didn't happen to either of us. Besides, the kids who get attached to teachers, they're usually. . . a little off. And when I say 'attached' I don't mean, like, romantic attachment, I mean total dependence. Then, the school usually has to get rid of them, or reverse it somehow. I shiver slightly as I think about it, half sympathetic and half disgusted.

Suddenly, I hear the booming voice travel among our soft conversation. Even if I have been here for twelve years, our principal' still scares me.

"The trial will begin shorty!" I sigh. Are they really going to make us miss a whole class for this?

Everyone waits for around ten minutes, and hardly any conversation can be heard throughout the hall. Then we all fall silent as four people come out of the mysterious weapon room. One of them is a stunning, yet adorable, girl with brown ringlets, and the other noticeable one is a young boy with blonde hair. His hair is tied up in a ponytail, and he closely competes with the girl for the title of 'most adorable newb'. I raise my eyebrows, thinking of Donghae.

The girl steps forward first, and I am mildly surprised when I realize she has chosen one of the largest weapons in that room. I know it well, since it was my weapon of choice as well. Now, what group symbol will be on the hilt? I can tell both sides want this girl for their own.

The crowd remains silent and respectful as she enters the cage, for all of us know what will happen next. The first one in never wins, since Leeteuk is at his best. Poor girl, I think lightly, once again remembering Donghae. He was the first too, and he. . . lost. It pains me to think of him so badly.

Naturally, everyone was shocked when the girl and the teacher started taunting each other, but they remained silent none the less. And then, as soon as she closed the door, an amazing battle began. We all watched in silence as the girl dodged our teacher at his best, and held our breaths. What in the world. Had she just pulled her blade? And-Ohhhh, that looked like it hurt. I had never known Teukie to go hard on a newb, and I winced as he swept her legs out from under her.

Again and again we were shocked by this small girl, but the battle only lasted a matter of minutes. I could feel how much both sides wanted her, now. It was a palpable, tangible smell coming from each side of the room, and each section had it's own unique scent.

I was distracted momentarily, and before I could regain my senses, I heard the 'principal' call out:

"It is done! This girl is now an official student in our academy! Treat her with respect."

My eyes widened, as did Donghae's.

She won.

____________________________________________

When everyone had finished, two others loosing, and one winning, it was time for these students to receive their names. I was curious as to what the girl would get, because the winners usually got more noble-sounding names. Unless they had gone first, but that didn't really apply in this situation. I don't think anyone had ever seen someone win against a fully charged Teukie.

I left the commons the same state as the rest of the school. Mildly surprised. Shocked, even. It seemed this small girl had that effect on people. Maybe they should have named her just that. Shock.

But no, they had honored her beyond belief. There was nothing special about the name they had given her in its self, but it's origins were noble. It was a Gaelic name, only given to the most courageous, or the students with the most potential. My name, Eunhyuk, was respectable, but didn't tell much of who I was. Donghae's name was treated the same way mine was, with minor indifference.

No other names but the Gaelic were treated with anything other than indifference. As of now, there were three people with Gaelic names attending the academy, and none of them had amounted to anything spectacular. Or, maybe they had, and people had just failed to notice, their blindly high expectations shortening their sight.

_______________________________________________

When I reached my room, I found that Donghae was already there. It was only to be expected, though, because I had been walking like a snail, and Donghae was my room mate. Both of us felt special that our preferences had been taken into account when roommates were chosen. It was rare, so Leeteuk must have favored us. It was said that some who Leeteuk favored even got their own rooms. I wonder how he had managed that. . . But then again, the combat was one of the most important members of this academy.

The fate of our entire world could lie with him someday, so the 'principal' liked to keep him happy. All of our teachers, in fact.

"Goodnight, Eunhyuk." I heard him whisper from beside me as I reached the bed.

Seconds later, I fell into a deep and blissful sleep with Donghae by my side.