Two

Academy Of War

Junshan looks around the wide room, hoping that this wasn't really happening. There are rows and rows of people, all starring at her through angry eyes. She contemplates what would happen if she rushed back out the door. The consequences could be dangerous.

Thinking of nothing else to do, she quickly scans the room, waiting for a response, or instructions.

The room has rows and rows of what seem to be. . . church pews? In front of them, near the door, is a cage. It looks like one of those wrestling match cages, but, somehow more elegant. The ground does not have cheesy logos written all over it, and is instead covered by a pattern. Junshan can't make any sense of it, but it seems to incorporate the Greek signs for Alpha And Omega.

The cage sits level with the ground, allowing for the corresponding effect of higher church pews in the back. In the first few church pews sit the adults, some dressed in black, some in white, but very few in color. The children who sit in the rest of the church pews can be assumed as students, for they are all wearing the same uniform. The uniform can not be made out from far away, but it is obvious what it is.

Junshan looks more closely at the cage now. She can see a man inside of it. He looks around six feet tall, with yellow hair that falls just above his eyes. He is wearing a uniform similar to that of the guard, but his looks more unique. Instead of the small pieces of metal, he seems to be wearing a black chain mail shirt with loose black pants and combat boots. The pants are tucked into the boots, as the shirt is tucked into the pants. Both of them hang over the edge, creating a little tuft out the side.

As Junshan noticed that underneath the chain mail, the man was wearing nothing, the door opens behind her once again. This time, the three people from the bus, along with the 'Lion tamer', as she had nicknamed him, came through the wide doorway. Junshan recognized the boy from the bus. She remembered the expression on his face when the bus had pulled away, and chuckled lightly.

The sound resonated through the silent room, causing all the occupants to stare at her with odd expressions. Oops. The man in the cage caught her gaze, and she stared him down. He had beautifully shaped eyes, so when he was forced to look away, she was disappointed.

"Thank you for coming! The trial shall begin shortly." The Lion Tamer said cheerfully, and herded the group into a small door Junshan hadn't noticed before. It was to the left of the main entrance, and could hardly be spotted unless you knew it was there.

Once inside, Junshan could see the small interior of the room. There was a couch near the west wall, and a rack near the east. The rack was filled with swords.

The boy from the bus's reaction was just as hilarious as it was the first time Junshan saw it. His eyes widened, and his mouth made a small O, along with a pop sound. She noticed now that he was blond, and yet he seemed Korean. How odd.

With the door closed, the Lion Tamer dropped his cheerful manner and spoke in a coarse voice "Alright, here's the deal. You go into that cage, you fight the man standing inside of it. Get it?" The horrified responses were answer enough. He sighed dramatically, waving his hand in the air.

"What? Explain your faces. Now." He said the last word angrily.

"Fight? Why?" the blond boy squeaked after a moment of shocked silence. He had a very high voice.

"Because! It's a test. Didn't your Kael tell you?" He pronounced Kael as seal, reminding Junshan of the American navy. Obviously their Kael hadn't told them, because their faces reflected the confusion Junshan felt. She walked over to the rack of swords, randomly picking one up and ignoring the rest of the group.

Her wrist twisted as she swung the sword, making small woosh sounds as it swung quickly through the air. It seemed almost natural, the way her hand fit the sword. She lifted it up above her head, not noticing how the others were starring at her.

The sword came crashing down as she swung, then turned abruptly to the side. Junshan smiled as she realized that she would have just taken out two enemies, maybe three depending on their positions. She stabbed the sword downwards onto the rack, realizing now that it was really more of a saber.

The more closely she looked, the more Junshan seemed to know about the swords on the rack. She could see that they were all of a very high quality, likely made by a master craftsman. They were also unusual in slight ways. Just like the Kael's uniform had been. There were slight bends where there usually would not have been, and the handles were larger than a usual sword would have been.

On all of the swords, there was either the Greek sign for Alpha or Omega. The saber's generally tended to have the Omega sign on them, while the actual swords strayed to Alpha. Of course, they didn't all go down that path, just most of them.

Finally, Junshan turned back around, satisfied with her new knowledge, and saw the four other occupants of the room gaping at her. Well, three of them were gaping, one had a look on his face that said 'Seriously?'. Junshan raised her eyebrows, and they all looked away.

"Alright, everyone pick a weapon." Said the Lion Tamer. It was obvious he had been explaining things, and that Junshan had been too absorbed with the saber to notice. She looked over the rack once again, and this time selected a saber with the letter A on it's hilt. It felt stranger in her hands, not at all natural like the last one had. She put it back.

Next she tried a sword, again with the letter A. It was even worse than the saber. As the Alpha items were getting her nowhere, she once again tried an Omega Saber. The other three had come up next to her and were trying out various swords, just as she was.

It went like this: O saber, O sword, A saber, A sword. This was the order in which Junshan could use the weapons. The blonde boy went with a O sword, while the other two had A weapons.

When the Lion tamer began to get impatient, the blonde boy randomly picked one of the two swords he was torn between. They were both Omega.

Junshan found herself oddly at peace. The calm before the storm. This was accurate, seeing as once she remembered who she was going to be fighting, nerves hit like a train. How could she fight the blonde man in the cage? He seemed too. . . unreal, and fighting him would be like trying to kill a unicorn.

When Junshan pictured unicorns, she pictured beautiful, glowing animals. They seemed untouchable to her, but subconsciously, she knew that, if they had been real, they would be excellent fighters. Those horns weren't for show. Why novelists and writers always portrayed them as innocent horses with magical multicolor horns was a mystery. She supposed it was only a matter of imagination, and how far it could take you.

Watching the other three practice with swords, Junshan realized that she wasn't the only one who could handle a weapon. The other three could do it too, just not as well as she could. When Junshan moved, it was like a salsa. When the others moved, it was like a waltz. Easy to learn and easy to do.

After a while, lion tamer had finally had enough. He screamed at the group "GET ON WITH IT!" and Junshan wondered if the room was sound proof. She spared him a quick glance, seeing his face red with anger, then turned around and quickly jogged out.

Once again, the room was completely silent. The man in the cage leaned on a bar towards the side. When they entered the large room, he glanced up at them, his arms folded. Then he grinned, for seemingly no reason at all. What an odd place.

Junshan now had to fight a unicorn.