Taeyeon

The Vow

 

Taeyeon’s POV

 

When I got the news I ran.

I ran as fast as I could. Whoever saw me probably though that I was escaping from something or someone, that I was running for my life… and they were right… I was running for my life… Tiffany is my life and she was hurt.

I was on a meeting with my manager; we were talking about my next solo album, when I got the call from the hospital. I excused myself and answered the phone.

“Yeoboseyo?”

“Kim Taeyeon?” a woman answered back.

“Yes. Who is this?”

“My name is Park Ye-eun, and I’m calling from the Seoul Paik Hospital. I’m sorry to inform you but your wife Tiffany Hwang was admitted in this hospital today. She was involved in a car crash…”

Time stopped…

I couldn’t breathe and for a minute I couldn’t move.

The woman kept talking on the other side of the phone but I couldn’t hear what she was saying. My manager came out of the office to see what was going on but I couldn’t tell him, I tried to speak but nothing came out.

Then suddenly something snapped inside of me and I ran. I had to get to her. I ran the 5 blocks that separated the building of the meeting from the hospital. I didn’t even thought of calling a cab.

I got to the hospital 10 minutes later.

“Tiff…Tiffany Hwang” I was panting while I was trying to speak with the receptionist. “She…she’s here. She had… an accident.”

She typed something on her computer. “Are you family?” she asked looking at the computer screen.

“She’s my wife” I replied.

“You have to wait on the waiting room and someone will talk to you” she said with a bored tone of voice and still not looking at me.

“Where is she?” I asked. I was losing my patience and that could be heard on my voice that was coming louder.

She fixed her gaze on me. “Wait on the waiting room and someone will talk to you” she said slowly like she was talking with a child.

I was about to go around the reception table and demand her to tell me where Tiffany was when a young girl approached me.

“Are you Kim Taeyeon?” she asked.

“Yes”

“I talked with you on the phone. Come with me” she leaded the way to the waiting room and I followed her after sending a glare at the receptionist.

“Sit.”

We both sat on some chairs that were on the room.

“What happen? Where is she? How is she?” I started to charge all questions, that hadn’t left my mind since I had received the news, to the girl.

“You have to calm down, ok? Take a deep breath” she request calmly.

She emanated a sense of calm that made me obey then she smiled and started to tell me what she knew.

“Like I said on the phone, Tiffany was involved in a car crash. A truck was speeding and slammed against the behind of Tiffany’s car. The force of the collision made her fly through the windshield causing a traumatic brain injury, that’s why she’s in surgery right now.”

Tear started to roll down my cheeks and a sob left my mouth. I hid my face on my hands with my elbows on my knees and stay like that trying to calm down. After calming down a little I looked up.

“Is she going to be ok?” I asked the girl.

She putted one hand on my shoulder. “We are doing everything we can to make sure she is going to be alright” she reassured me.

“Someone is going to inform you when she gets out of the E.R.” And with that she left, leaving me alone on the waiting room.

What am I going to do without Tiffany? She is everything to me…

I was hours on that waiting room, crying, pacing and worrying with no news about Tiffany. I had tried to know something but I was always told that she was on surgery and that someone would inform me when she got out.

On the fifth hour of waiting a man entered the room and came to me. He was a tall middle aged man and was dressed with blue scrubs. As I looked at him I noticed some blood on his pants and I felt sick.

That’s Tiffany’s blood.

“I’m Doctor Shang. I operated your wife.” He introduced himself.

“How is she?” I asked.

“She lost a lot of blood but we were able to stop the bleeding. I’m afraid that we we’re force to put her into a coma because it will help decrease the swelling of her brain by distributing blood flow to the damaged areas of the brain.”He said.

I started to cry again.

“How long until she wakes up?” I asked tears running down my face.

“We will stop giving her the Phenobarbital, which is the drug that induces the coma, in the space of 5-6 days and she should wake up then” the doctor smiled sympathetic.

“Is she going to be with any sequels?”

“We can only know when she wakes up”

“Can I see her?” I asked.

“Yes. She’s on the room 384”

“Kamsahamnida” I thanked him and went looking for the room.

When I found the room I waited a minute at the door afraid of what could be on the other side.

I took a deep breath and entered the room.

I walked slowly towards the bed.

I looked at her and suppress a gasp. She had a bind around her head, one of her eyes was swollen and was starting to turn grey and her face was full of scratches.

“Oh Fanny” I sighed.

I sat on the chair that was on the side of the bed and picked her hand and held it between my two.

“You’re going to be ok, I know you will” I said but wasn’t sure who I was I trying to convince. “You know I’m not good with words that is your forte, but I want you to know that you’re my everything, ever since the first time I saw you are my world. I would give up everything for you and if you asked me to stop singing I would do it, and you know that that is really important to me but I would do it. I really want you to wake up, ok baby? I really want to see your eyes; they were always my lighthouse in this crazy world.”

A few hours later Sooyoung, whom I had called while I was waiting on the waiting room, showed up and stayed with me until night time but then she had to go home because she had an early meeting the next day.

I stayed with Tiffany for the first two days, never leaving, but after that the nurses and Sooyoung forced me to go home and only come for a few hours every day.

At the 6th day, the day that the doctor said that was going to lift her coma I came really early.

“Today is the day, Fanny” I said to Tiffany.

Her eye wasn’t swollen anymore but was still a little grey and her scratches were almost fully healed. The bind had been removed three days after the surgery and was replaced by a small bandage on the left side of her forehead.

“Today is the day that I’m going to be able to see your gorgeous eyes again.” I looked at her hand that was on mine and saw her wedding ring. “I miss you so much”

The doctor came and stopped the Phenobarbital but nothing happen. We waited for hours but she didn’t woke up.

“Why didn’t she woke up? She was supposed to be awake by now” I asked the doctor. I was starting to get worried.

“Sometimes the patient don’t wake right away, it could take weeks until she fully wakes up.”

“Weeks?”

My resolution was crumbling. I had been trying to stay positive, thinking and try to fool myself that she was only asleep, like sleeping beauty and that when they stopped administering the drug she would woke up like magic, but as days go by and she didn’t I was getting depress.

A week after, while I was with her I felt her hand move against mine.

“Fanny?” I called her

But I got no response. I called the doctor but he said that the moving could be just a reflection, but I the thought that she was waking up and that this nightmare was almost over gave me courage. After that sometimes I could see not only her hand move but her lips twitched also.

Almost three weeks after the accident as I was entering the hospital room I saw her looking at me. I stopped. I thought that I was on some dream and even pinched myself to be sure that this was real and it was. she really was looking at me with her mesmerizing eyes.

I went to the bed and took her hand. “Tiffany?”

I was so happy. I tucked a lock of her hair behind her ear and whispered while I kissed her forehead. “I was so scared. I thought I lost you.”

She tried to speak but nothing came out so I gave her the glass of water that was beside the bed and helped her drinking it.

She cleared . “Who are you?”

I frowned. What? “You don’t remember me?”

She shook her head. She doesn’t remember me? “I’m going to call the doctor”

And I left the room. I called the doctor and as he entered the room I didn’t follow.

She doesn’t remember me?

In the thousand time since the beginning of this inferno, I cried. But for the first time since the first day I sob. The sobs were so strong that rock my whole body; I looked like I was grieving and that thought made me stop. I wasn’t grieving. She was still alive.

If she doesn’t remember me I will make her remember me.

With that I entered her room. She was talking with the doctor and I heard him asking what year were we in and her answering that we were in 2009.

My stomach dropped. 5 years!

Doctor Shang told her that she seemed to be suffering for some memory loss and that more tests were needed. I asked him to leave us for awhile and he left.

“Where’s Yuri?” she asked me. She looked so innocent and lost. Her face was fully healed and the bandaged had been permanently removed showing a scar that was still healing.

Her ex-fiancé.

I took a deep breath and sat on the chair beside the bed and folded my hands on my lap. My gaze was on my hands when I asked “Your last memory is from 2009?”

I tried to keep my voice controlled and steady to hide my restlessness.

“Yes”

I shifted my gaze to her. “We are on the year 2014”

“What?” she asked. I could see all the emotions that she was feeling passed before her eyes. Confusion, fear.

She closed her eyes. I knew right away that she thought that this was a dream and that if she closed her eyes and opened them again she would woke up.

She took a deep breath and opened them again.

“Who are you?” she asked a minute of staring at me.

I gave her a smile and could feel my eyes watering.

“I’m your wife”