Prince

The Vow

 

Jessica’s POV

 

A continuous beep woke me from my restful sleep.

“Yuri” I mumbled trying to wake my fiancé to stop the annoying noise but she didn’t even move.

Groaning, I opened my eyes and stare at the clock on the bedside table. Sleep clouded my eyes as I tried to read the time and only after a few attempts did I succeed. 12 pm. I groaned again and turned to face Yuri.

She seemed like she was in a really deep sleep, an unusual thing since she’s the lightest sleeper that I know. As I was to shake her I remembered that she had arrived home merely two hours ago from her business trip to Canada while I had came home a few hours earlier from my double shift in the hospital.

We moved to New York 2 years ago because Yuri’s dad asked her to help one of his friends on managing his business and since the request came from her dad she couldn’t refuse. When she accepted we had been dating for only 6 months and as she asked me to come with her I had been torn.

For starters we knew each other for a relatively short time and the thought of moving to another country so early on a relationship had scared me a little, on top of that I had been accepted on my first job as a registered nurse which made my decision harder.

She moved first and 2 months later I followed after getting a job on one of the largest hospitals in New York, being originally from America helped a lot on that department.

Sighing I got out of bed, a shiver running down my body from the difference of temperature.

Reaching the living room I found the source of the noise.

Yuri’s phone.

Seeing the caller id I frowned.

“Hello” my voice sounded hoarse from sleep as I greeted the caller.

“Sica?” the caller asked in confusion.

“Taengoo?” I asked back.

“Yeah” she answered her voice quiet.

I looked at time again and my frowned deepened. “Isn’t like really late in Seoul?” If my math is right it must be 2 am.

“Yeah… I couldn’t sleep”

“Is something wrong? Troubles in paradise?” I teased.

 It’s been too long since we last talked. After moving to New York our contact was resumed to a phone call once or twice a week because of our conflicted schedules but in the last month or so I hadn’t been able to talk with neither Taeyeon nor Tiffany.

“Can I talk with Yuri?”

That kind of pissed me of, she’s supposed to be my best friend and after a month of zero contact she wants to talk with my fiancé.

“Yah, you haven’t called me in months and now that you call, you want to talk with Yuri. Have you forgotten about me?”

“Tiffany had an accident” she blurted out.

A beat. Did she say what I think I heard?

“What?”

She sighed.

“Tiffany had an accident” she repeated, this time her voice was calmer and she said it more slowly.

Concern assume my entire body and I had to lean against a wall to prevent my body from collapsing, millions of possibilities made home in my brain clouding my thoughts, every one worst than the other. “OMG… What happened?”

“Someone hit her car. She was a little rough up”

“Is she ok?”

“Yeah, she’s fine now. She was discharge from the hospital today, I mean yesterday.”

Silence.

Even from miles away I could feel that she wasn’t telling me everything that she wanted to tell and the fact that I hadn’t heard anything from them in a month intensified it.

“When did it happen?” was my hunch.

She paused and sighed. “…A month ago”

What? “A month ago? ... Tiffany had an accident a month ago and you only telling me now? What the hell Taeyeon? Why didn’t you tell me?” I snapped.

“You would have flown back” was the only answer.

“Of course I would” sigh “Taeyeon, you’re my family. I’ve know you since ever. And if something happens, something as important as Tiffany having an accident, of course I would catch the first plane back, and I will.” I said seriously. “How is she, for real?”

“She was in a coma for 3 weeks… and… now she doesn’t remember anything from the last 5 years”

I didn’t know what to say.

“That’s why you want to talk with Yuri?”

“Yes”

“Do you want me to tell her?”

“Please.”

“I’ll need to talk with the hospital then I’ll book the first fly to Seoul and we should arrive in about 2 to 3 days. I’ll call you with the details, ok?”

“Jessi…”

“Taeyeon, don’t even start”

She sighed. “I love you, you know that right?”

“I love you too. I’ll call you later.” And with that we hung up.

“Who do you love?” The question came from behind me, startling me a little.

I turned and come face to face with my adorably y fiancé in only her sleep shorts and tank top.

“My secret torrid love affair” I teased.

“And you called them from my phone?”

I ignore her and made my way to the couch, patting the space next to me.

“I need to tell you something.”

She frowned. “You aren’t really having an affair behind my back, right?”

I rolled my eyes and ignore her question.

She frowned but sat beside me.

“It was Taeyeon on the phone” I informed her.

“How was she?”

How am I going to tell her that her best friend almost died on a car crash and that now she doesn’t remember anything from the last years?

I scooted closer to her and held her hands on mine.

“I’m going to tell you something but I need you to stay calm and let me finish what I have to say and only ask me questions after, all right?”

She nodded. I could see in her eyes that she was already aware that something serious must have happened.

“Tiffany had a car accident.” I could see that she was going to say something so I quickly added “She’s fine now but… she’s suffering from some short term memory lost.”

Her eyes were watering but no tears come out and no words were spoken. I was starting to get worried when she slowly disentangled her hands from mine and got up from the sofa.

I followed her and saw her entering the bedroom and picking up suitcases that were stored away on our dresser.

Putting the suitcases on our messy bed she turned to me.

“Pack a bag… we’re going home”

 


 

Taeyeon’s POV

 

A scratching sound woke me from my reverie.

Jessica and Yuri are coming back.

I met Jessica in high school, we were in the same classes and she hated me. The first year was spent with us competing against each other for the top grades and only in the second year did we try to form some kind of friendship. We even used to share a house together when I was training to be a performer and she was enrolled in nurse school.

I only met Yuri after I started dating Tiffany and long before she started dating Jessica. At first she scared me to death with whole ‘hurt talk’, she even threatened to rip my vocal cords out if I ever thought about hurting Tiffany, needless to say that I couldn’t look her in the eye for at least two months after, but with time we gain some understanding with each other and we became friends.

In the past it didn’t bother me the fact that they were coming back because I actually love Yuri, I think she’s the perfect person to be with Jessica and I wouldn’t trust anyone else, but now that Tiffany doesn’t remember me and only remembers being with her, I must admit that I’m scared.

And I hate this feeling, its making me sick. This is so not like me. I was always so sure of myself and my marriage, the love that Tiffany felt for me… this is so messed up and is giving me a migraine.

I got up from the couch that I had been sitting for hours, since Sooyoung and Baekhyun left, and opened the door of the music room.

A whimper sounded making me look at the culprit. There on the floor was a little ball of white fur.

It looked up and barked. I pick it up and hold him in front of my face.

“Do you miss her, Prince?” I asked him.

Prince, the little puppy, was Tiffany’s pet. She had adopted him after we got married, to make her company in the times that I had to stay at the studio a few extra hours to record some songs.

He barked again in answer to my question.

“Ok. Let’s go see the princess.”

Baekhyun had left a few hours ago after telling me that Tiffany had cried herself to sleep. It broke my heart to heard that and know that there’s nothing that I can do to help her.

I walk up the stairs with Prince in my arms and stop right in front of the master bedroom. Our bedroom. I guess now her bedroom.

I took a deep breath and quietly knock so she could hear in case she was awake but not to disrupt her in case she was asleep.

I waited but no sound came from behind the door.

“Do you think I could enter?” I whispered to Prince.

He looked at me, so I assumed that his answer would be yes.

I hated this.

This hesitation, this walking in eggshells but I felt that this is the correct way to act because this Tiffany isn’t really my wife, she isn’t the girl that I had known for almost 4 years and shared a house for more than 2 of those years.

 In those years I hadn’t worry about knocking or thinking twice before entering any room, so now I felt a little lost.

A whimper brought me back to reality.

Making up my mind, I opened the door.

Tiffany was sleeping on top of the bed.

Seeing her, Prince barked happily.

“You have to be quiet, ok? The princess is sleeping” I whispered in Prince’s ear.

I approached the bed and placed Prince in it.

As soon as he was on the bed, he walked towards Tiffany and snuggle himself on her arms near her chest.

I smiled at the view.

Prince spend a lot of nights on our bed, Tiffany used to say that he would be lonely if he slept on the living room like he should be, so it’s only normal to see him make himself comfortable right next to her.

Going to the dresser I pulled out some blankets to cover them.

After covering both human and animal, I remained on the room for a few minutes.

Slowly reaching out my hand, I caressed the sleeping woman’s face wiping the tear tracks that had been created in the long hours spent crying over her forgotten life.

“I love you” I whispered in the silent room and left.

 


 

Tiffany’s POV

 

Something woke me from sleep.

Unwilling to fully wake up, I didn’t open my eyes and just lay on the bed until I felt little pawns on my chest and stomach.

At first I just remained with my eyes shut but when I felt a wet tongue on my cheek I shoot up and a weight fell on my lap.

Reaching for the lamp on the side of the bed, I switch it on enlightening the dark room.

Looking at the weight on my lap I found a white little dog staring back at me.

The dog barked happily at me.

“Who are you?” I asked him as I ran my fingers through his soft white fur.

Reaching his neck I felt for his tag and turned it until I could make out his name.

“Prince.”

He barked again as if he recognized his name.

“You are such a cutie, aren’t you Prince?”

Suddenly a soft high pitched sound of a violin was heard on the silence of the house.

For a moment, I remained on the bed petting Prince and just listening to the soothing sound but soon my curiosity took the best of me and I left the room.

Following the path that I had took when Baekhyun lead me to the room, I reached the top of the stairs.

The sound became louder and clearer so I follow it until it lead me to the player.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiWsDDW48Is

 

Taeyeon was turned away from the door so that only her right side was visible. Her violin perfectly balanced between her shoulder and her chin, on her face a look of concentration.

I stayed there listening to her play. The music was beautiful was taking me to places where I felt almost weightless and with no worries.

A few minutes later a screeching noise brought me back from the places where the music had lead me too.

 As I blink I found Taeyeon looking at me with a deer-caught-in-the-headlight kind of look, with the violin close to her body so that her right hand was placed above her heart.

“You scared me” she said.

“I’m sorry” I apologize as I entered the room.

“Did I wake you?” she asked while placing the instrument on its case.

“Actually, Prince did” at the mention on his name Prince barked.

He had been following me ever since I place him on the floor after getting out of the bed.

“He missed you. He used to sleep with you every night so it had been hard for him.”

“He’s cute so I forgive him.”

As Taeyeon was putting some music sheets away, I slowly took a look around the room. It wasn’t really as big as the other house division’s that I had the chance to see but it seemed to serve perfectly well; a bookshelf was against one of the walls with a table on its side and a small sofa was positioned on the middle of the room. Various instruments littered the space, a guitar placed next to the sofa and a familiar flute case was placed on one of the shelves of the bookshelf. The violin case was set on the table.

“So … you told me that you were a singer but I still hadn’t heard you sing” I said as I made myself comfortable on the couch.

Taeyeon’s hands stilled on their work of sorting some music sheet and she turned her head to face me.

“You want to hear me now?” she asked.

I shrugged. “Why not?”

 She shifted her gaze to the papers again. “What would you like to hear?”

“Anything yours”

“Ok. This actually was the song that I performed on the day that we first officially met”

She made her way to the iPod dock that was placed on the bookshelf and chose a track. The instrumentals filled the room.

 

Don't you know me? The reason I'm here is because of you
But my eyes tingle with the cold so I can't say anything
I just look toward you by myself


At first her voice was so soft that it was almost imperceptible above the instrumentals but as the words left , her voice grew.

She made her way to the sofa and sat next to me.


Even if the tip of my heart hurts like this
Even if the tip of my hands tremble like this
I can only think of you

The person I miss like crazy
The words I want to hear from you like crazy
I love you, I love you - where are you?
The person I long for, who is deeply stuck in my heart
I want to cherish you forever”

 

I could feel her emotions clearly. The sadness, the hurt. The love.

It was overwhelming me and tears started to fall from my eyes. Crying seemed to be the only thing I could do these past days.


“What do I do? You were so cold to me 
But I still miss you

Even if the tip of my heart hurts like this
Even if the tip of my hands tremble like this
I still can't forget you

The person I miss like crazy
The words I want to hear from you like crazy
I love you, I love you - where are you?
The person I long for, who is deeply stuck in my heart

Please tell me that you cherish me
Please don't blankly erase me
Because you're my everything

 

The person I miss like crazy
The words I want to hear from you like crazy
I love you, I love you - where are you?
The person I long for, who is deeply stuck in my heart

I want to cherish you forever
I love you, I love you

 

The music ended and the silence took over the room.

“Hey, don’t cry” she said as she came closer and took my face on her hands making me face her.

“I’m sorry” I said between tears.

“I told you before; you don’t have to apologize for anything.”

“You love me” I said between tears.

She grimaced. “I do”

“Did I love you?” I asked.

“You did” she was so sure of her answer that made me feel like it was the outmost truth even if I didn’t remember.

“I hope someday I can remember and can love you the way you love me”

“You did it once, you’ll do it again. Now come I’ll make you some tea.”