Chapter 7

Ghost Light

The leader was a god-like man, or so Sehun was often told. The leader had an alias, but to use that name seemed both disrespectful and mocking. ‘Kris’ was simply a name the leader had adopted, one of his many names. If it meant anything to him, Sehun wasn’t to know. Sehun knew very little about the leader; he had only met with him once, years or maybe decades ago. Sehun remembered the leader with his long cloak and fierce eyes, remembered his soothing voice that promised everything and his power, his undeniable power. The leader’s energy emanated from him, a black cloud that had melted away the ice in Sehun’s ghost light.

 

However, Sehun’s memory did the leader no justice; the man in his vague impressions of the past was a mere shadow, flimsy and delicate. Standing in front of the man, Sehun was overwhelmed by the discipline and confidence that rolled off him in waves.

 

“Congratulations,” the leader said. Even sitting down, he was intimidating. “She was your first, wasn’t she?”

 

“My first intentional one.” The words were hard to choke out, and confessing his crime did nothing to alleviate his guilt.

 

The leader pretended not to notice. “Your plan was ingenious, much better than everyone else’s.”

 

It felt so wrong, to be praised for a flawless murder.

 

“You’ve been away for a very long time,” Sehun said, trying to change the subject. The leader shrugged, and leaned forward.

 

“Now, everyone tells me you’ve grown attached to her. It’s not good to keep pets down here. Apparently, you’ve even told her how to move on.” Though the leader’s tone was light, his eyes narrowed imperceptibly.

 

“You know how stupid giving her knowledge is. Especially after what happened to that other girl. If she somehow manages to move on, all your hard work is wasted.”

 

“I know,” Sehun said mechanically. “I know.”

 

“Stay away from her until we’re ready for the sacrifice. It’s only a few weeks from now.”

 

“We don’t have to sacrifice her,” he whispered, meeting the leader’s gaze. “She has a natural gift.”

 

“Healing, you mean?” the leader said. He stood up and shook his head. “We have Lay. His power will crush hers. Do you know why? Do you understand what destroying another person’s soul means? It means you gain a power, a power of hell. Out of all of us, you’re the only one who doesn’t have anything. You are weak, Sehun.”

 

“I already killed her once.” A rage filled him, and the rage was good because anger gave him strength. If he focused on his anger, he could ignore the fear.

 

“Do it again.”

 

“I won’t,” Sehun said savagely, turning to leave. The leader didn’t speak until Sehun’s hand was on the doorknob.

 

“Yes you will, Oh Se Hun. Unless you’ve forgotten this.”

 

When he hesitantly turned around, Sehun saw the contract that was somehow still wet with his blood. A messily scribbled signature glowed red. When the leader deliberately crumpled the paper, Sehun’s chest tightened until a bone cracked.

 

It was stupid, Sehun thought as he knelt down on the floor gasping in pain. He smiled regretfully to himself. What had he been expecting?

 

 

 

He’d signed away his life in death to a devil.