Chapter 14

Ghost Light

 

 Kris felt uneasy when he left the girl. He needed time to clear his head of her. There had been too much interaction, and yet he still wanted more. His time with her was different from the time spent with the members of the organization. The words were not planned, and the flow of the conversation was not forced. For once, he hadn’t held all the cards. He slowly walked down the halls, and one corridor melted into another. Without anything better to do, Kris wandered aimlessly for the better part of an hour. He felt lightheaded, and even apologized when he bumped into someone.  He expected to hear stammered a stammered apology in return, and turned away without really seeing the person. A hard hand grasped his shoulder and attempted to force him around. Irritably, Kris wrenched his shoulder away. In his mind, he was already deciding what punishment to give the bastard who dared touch him.

 “What are you doing?” Kris waited patiently for an apology, and when it was evident that none would be uttered, he slowly turned around. He found himself so close to Sehun that their noses almost touched.

It was reflex that saved him from a punch. As soon as he had seen Sehun clench his hand into a fist, Kris had taken an automatic step back. Sehun had never learned how to fight; he was terrible at feinting. Even the thought that Sehun could hurt him was laughable. His attempts were futile. And yet, he continued to try and close the distance between them. This Sehun, Kris realized, was different than the one he had met years ago in that desolate Ghost Light. This Sehun had something to lose. However, even with his newly found determination, Sehun was too slow. Every blow, even the ones with considerable force behind them, was sluggish and could be easily dodged.    

 “That girl is a better fighter than you are,” Kris taunted. Fighting was his favorite hobby, but manipulation was a close second. It was easy to hurt someone who wore his emotions so openly on his sleeve; immediately, Sehun stiffened, and his limbs stopped flailing. A second was all it took for Kris to land a punch on the sensitive part above his lower lip. Sehun was not used to pain. He doubled over, and looked so pathetic that Kris only half-heartedly swung another punch at his stomach. Sehun hunched over on the floor, panting heavily.

  “Your stance is bad. Your punches have no power. You are a disgrace to me. Useless.”

“Where is she?” Sehun asked furiously, propping himself up on all fours with some difficulty.

 “Look at you, like a dog. So loyal.” Kris kicked him on the shoulder. “Too bad your master is me, not the girl.”

“What did you do to her?” There was a new layer of hardness in Sehun’s voice as he struggled to get up.

“You hate me, right? That’s good. Now you know how she feels about you. She talks about you with the same tone,” Kris said, smirking.

 “If you kill her, I’ll kill you." Pathetic. 

 “I won’t kill her. In four days, you’ll kill her.” Kris’s words sounded foreign, even to himself. In four days, the girl would cease to exist. There was a yearning in him that he quickly wrote off as lust. Lust was easy to handle; it came and went like the adrenaline from a fight. Even with that logic, Kris had to turn around so that Sehun wouldn’t see the indecision in his eyes.

 

 “Four days from now, that girl will die.”