Chapter 6

Ghost Light
She measured time by names, and there were many names to be learned in the shadowy world that Sehun called home. Some names were aliases, and Sehun told her that it would be better if she didn't stick her nose in other people's business. Everyone seemed as distant and faint as the candles that flickered along the long hallways.  There were no windows, which unsettled her; she didn't know what she was expecting. Maybe panes that showed the twisted flames of Hell or illusions of the sky.  Twisting corridors and dead ends led to doors that opened to reveal either deadly traps or silent rooms. She learned that the hard way when she stumbled across a room housing a four headed dog that snorted flames. Though she ducked in time, the wall behind her crumbled away. Cursing, Chanyeol ran in from another room, his magic hands aflame. His hands moved like lightening, deadly and without warning. Quickly, she turned away as the dog's howls died away.    
 
“You're an idiot,” Chanyeol said, his eyebrow twitching. “That was my favourite pet.” He looked down at the charred remains, and sighed.
 
“Did you have to kill it?” she asked, pointedly staring away from the carcass.
 
“It's been trained to kill whoever disturbs it,” he said. “Just don't go setting off any other alarms.”    
 
“Why do you have so many traps?” 
 
“Ask Sehun.”
 
 
 
Sehun scoffed at her before she said anything.
 
“I told you to stay out of the way. You've only been here a week, and you've already destroyed an alarm.”
 
Although his tone was disapproving, Sehun's eyes seemed amused. Even though they lit up, his eyes were tired and his lashes drooped.
 
“Are you alright?” she asked, brushing the hair out of his face. The questions about the security, she decided, could be asked another time.
 
“I'm fine,” he said, crossing his arms. He didn't stop her from fiddling with his hair. “I'm just surprised the leader hasn't asked to see me yet.”
 
Surprised, her fingers froze. Had he ever told her how he'd felt before? Sehun noticed her stiffen and moved away before her hands could find their way back to his hair.
 
“You seem worried.”
 
“I am.” The words, they might have slipped out, but  for once, Sehun didn't look like he regretted them. Those two simple words settled between them softly. For a long time, he closed his eyes and she was almost afraid he had fallen asleep.  
 
“I'm sorry.” His murmur was barely audible, but the pain was woven in, a raw and pulsing pattern that followed the beat of his dead heart. 
 
She stepped closer and placed her arms around him silently. After a few minutes, she stepped away and faded into the shadows, leaving him standing with his eyes still closed.   
 
Perhaps she should have said that it was okay, and he hadn't done anything to apologize for. He'd saved her, hadn't he?
 
He'd said she was doomed if she didn't follow him. She'd believed him even though she hadn't really known him.
 
 
So why was she doubting him now?