Chapter 17

Ghost Light

Sehun met her outside the door. Wordlessly, he took her hand and led her down the corridor. Her feet were clumsy and loud, as though she had forgotten how to walk. Only when Sehun stopped did she realize her legs were shaking.

“Wait,” she said, pushing herself away from him. Panic overtook her. She crouched on the floor, hugging her knees to her chest. “Give me a moment.”

He crouched down beside her, sheltering her. She looked at him, with his cherub face. A boy who could barely protect himself. But whereas before his eyes wavered with indecision, now they had hardened with resolve.

They filled her, not with hope but determination. To survive, as long as they could. She could not plan for anything more. Slowly, she stood up.

“Need me to carry you?” he offered, as platonically as possible. She shook her head, not trusting her voice. Experience had taught her that much.

And so, they passed through the endless maze of corridors, hiding from shadows and noise. Sehun led the way; she merely clutched at his hand as her vision blurred with her mind. She focused on thinking of nothing. Emptying her mind of the past, the present, the future. For now, she would trust only Sehun. 

"We're almost there," he panted. His face was pale, and beads of sweat had appeared on his forehead. She had not realized they could tire in their present state of existence. "Almost there."

He continued to reassure her, or perhaps himself. After a while, she wasn't sure. His breathing grew laboured, and he clutched at his side. She was not tired in the least. 

"Something's wrong." She tried to stop him. "What's the matter?"

"Nothing. We can't stop. So close." He ran forward, staggering. Staggered until he fell. And when he fell, he could not get up. She lifted him onto her back, struggling with his weight. Blindly, she ran forward, until he bumped his head against her shoulder. There was a door in front of them.

"Where do we go?" she asked. He muttered something inaudible. "Louder."

"That door. Open it and jump. Don't be afraid."

With a shaking hand, she opened the door. Bright flames lept out, and her arms. Burns spread, staining her once again. Horrified, she stepped back.

"Wrong door. Wrong door," she kept repeating. Her voice rose as she grew more hysterical.

"Jump." Sehun's worn voice. "Please."

 

"Just trust me."