Chapter 5

Ghost Light

The girl shrank back in fear. It took Sehun a few seconds to realize how loud and angry his voice had become. It bothered him. He wasn't supposed to be concerned about her; his job was done.

"I felt my heart beat in the dream," the girl said, wistfully. Her hand was placed over her dead heart, as if to feel the pulse that wasn't there. Slowly, Sehun placed his own hand over his chest and felt a pang when he realized he had forgotten what it felt like to have a beating heart.

"What was it like?" The question hesitantly slipped out with childlike curiosity.

"It was too loud and too real. But it was the most beautiful thing I've ever heard in a dream," she said, closing her eyes. Something close to peace settled over them in the darkness. Sehun sank to the floor, setting his bundle on the floor beside him. He was tired, and he wanted to sleep, dream, and feel his heart beat one more time. Even when he heard the footsteps come closer and closer, he didn't stand up. It was only when the girl, afraid of the thumping noises, shook his shoulders that he stood up. 

"They're here," Sehun said, irritated with her fear. It reminded him of how weak and vulnerable she was. They stood side by side until a figure emerged from the shadows. The girl's fingernails dug into Sehun's skin when suddenly a flame appeared in the stranger's palm.

"Chanyeol." Sehun shook the girl off him, and dipped his head in greeting. The girl's eyes were fixed on Chanyeol's flame, and he gave her a wan smile.

"Pretty, isn't it? Of course, if you get too close, it'll burn you," Chanyeol said, as the flame grew and grew until it engulfed his hand. "Anyways, good job Sehun. She's your first, right?" 

Sehun didn't look at the girl as he replied. "Yes."

"Good to know you're finally pulling your weight around here." Chanyeol clapped him on the back, and Sehun yelped in surprise. On his back, a blackened hole was scorched into the fabric of his shirt and his reddened skin had already begun peeling.   

", sorry," Chanyeol said, extinguishing his flame. He probed at Sehun's back. "I'll go get you the antidote."

"Stupid, stupid, stupid," Sehun muttered under his breath, as soon as Chanyeol had run off. The burns were poisoning him; already, the blackness had spread to his left arm. Sehun closed his eyes, delirious from the pain. "Help, please." Like a gift from heaven, tiny hands, cold and pleasantly firm, answered his pleas. They waltzed along his back, shyly but with surprising strength. Ice seemed to melt into the cracks the burns had made, tenderly kissing them until they puckered up and closed. The hands moved to his arm, and he shivered from the lovely cold. When the last of the fire had been drained from his body, Sehun opened his eyes.

"Are you okay?" the girl asked worriedly, twisting her hands behind her back. Sehun didn't answer, but grabbed her hands. They were glowing so faintly that even he had to strain to see the pale glimmers that swam under her skin.

"You-" He didn't know how to phrase it. His mouth opened and closed, but only half choked sounds came out.

"Yes?" She looked at him expectantly, with confused eyes.         

She was a healer. She had been a healer. He'd loved her. He'd killed them both.