Welcome to Waterville

Battle of the Ships

 

 “I know where we are,” Luhan murmured after almost an hour of sitting on the beach.

“Hmm?” Baekhyun looked up from drawing designs into the sand. “And where would that be?”

Luhan stared at the horizon before answering. “Waterville.”

“Sorry?”

“Just look around. What do you see?”

“Water?”

“Exactly.”

Baekhyun groaned, pulling his knees up and pressing his face into the soaked fabric. He let out a low whine and sniffled a bit.

“Oh my god, are you crying?”

“On the inside.”

Luhan shifted and placed his hand on top of Baekhyun's. “It's okay little sailor. We'll make it through this together.”

Baekhyun stopped and stared at the blonde. “What are you doing? What are you saying?”

Luhan shrugged, leaning back. “This is all for a show, right? So we're supposed to act. At least, that's what I think.”

“Acting?” The brunet frowned. Well, it wasn't a bad idea, it just seemed like they should have other priorities. Like finding food. Or a bed. Or money.

“Yeah. Wanna help me out here, Baek?” Luhan asked with a wink.

Baekhyun suppressed a shiver.

The blonde drew back, looking confused. “Weird. That usually works on Baozi, and Sehun. Kai too, sometimes.”

Baekhyun frowned at the man. He had liked to think that the older was just extremely innocent, and didn't know what he was doing when he molested their bandmates. “Yeah, well, Chanyeol doesn't really wink. Not on purpose.”

Luhan nodded to himself. “Right, you have your giant. So, if I grow two feet and start smiling really wide, would that make things easier?”

Baekhyun shivered again. “No, not really.”

“You must be really cold,” Luhan noted with a frown. He turned back to face the immense body of water, and gave a light shiver as a breeze reminded him how wet he was. “I'm hungry.”

Baekhyun looked up at that. “Me, too,” he muttered, patting Luhan's hand lightly. He glanced up, trying to find something. “Hey, does that stuff in that tree look edible to you?”

Luhan stared at over where Baekhyun was looking. He grinned upon seeing the colorful little spheres hanging from the branches. “I don't know, but I'm hungry enough to find out.” He stood and dusted himself off with one hand. “Shall we?”

Baekhyun nodded and stood, accepting an offered hand and heading towards the tree. “So... how?”

Luhan stared at him and slowly grinned.

Baekhyun stayed silent for a moment, then shook his head. “No.”

“Why not?”

“I'm scared of heights.”

“Well, so am I.”

Baekhyun looked scandalized. “Can't we do a teamwork thing or something?”

“Sorry, Baek,” Luhan said, smile not dimming even the slightest, “no can do.”

“Why not?”

“I'm older.”

Baekhyun gaped. Then he shook his head and rolled up his sleeves. “I can't believe you.”

Luhan cheered.

“I just want you to know that I'm doing this because I am an adult, and I am mature, and I will not fight over petty little things,” Baekhyun stated, staring at the trunk of tree, planning out a route.

“Whatever helps you sleep at night.”

“You're unbelievable.”

“If you mean unbelievably handsome, then yes.” Luhan flipped his hair. “Yes I am.”

Baekhyun scoffed and clapped his hands together before placing them on the trunk of the tree, hearing Luhan step closer behind him. He gritted his teeth and hooked his feet onto nodules on the trunk, noting that he'd probably have dirt stuck under his nails when this was all over. “I'm not even wearing the right shoes,” he complained weakly.

Luhan shrugged. “We're slaves to fashion. What'cha gonna do?”

“True,” Baekhyun acknowledged, grabbing onto the lowest branch and climbing a bit higher. He looked for the branch with the most fruit he could knock off.

“Go for the one on the left,” Luhan suggested.

Baekhyun nodded and shuffled his feet. “That's what I was thinking.”

“Awesome,” Luhan grinned, raising his left arm so Baekhyun could climb a bit higher.

The brunet leaned over and flopped onto the branch, hugging it for a minute before dragging himself down, closer to the fruit.

Luhan watched the younger shimmy down the branch, pressing his lips together so as not to smile. He held his arm high in the air so that Baekhyun wouldn't fall.

The younger idol froze as the branch shook, then continued after a minute. He stopped near the end. “How...”

Luhan understood the question. “If you rip them off one by one, I'll catch them.”

Baekhyun nodded and slowly let go of the branch, completely concentrated on his mission.

Luhan tried not to laugh at the younger as he caught the orange fruit, dropping it on the ground by his feet. After Baekhyun had practically cleaned the branch, Luhan called up to his band member, “you can come down now!”

Baekhyun nodded and sat up. The branch shook and he hugged it again. “I can't.”

Luhan chuckled. “Yes you can. Come on.”

Baekhyun shook his head, pressing into the branch.

“I got you.”

The brunet looked incredulously down at Luhan. “You want me to trust you?”

“Yeah.”

Baekhyun continued to stare.

Luhan sighed. “Look, I'm all you've got. We only have each other. If we can't trust each other, we may as well give up.”

Baekhyun narrowed his eyes, unable to tell if Luhan was doing that acting thing again or not. “All right,” he said finally, “I'll trust you.”

Luhan grinned. “Okay. First, drop down so you're upside down.”

“But that's worse!”

Luhan cocked an eyebrow.

Baekhyun groaned. “Fine.” He loosened his hold, and let out a shaky breath as the world tilted. “What now?”

“Just let go.”

“WHAT?”

“Trust me,” Luhan repeated, moving the fruit away with his foot. “Just trust me.”

“You're asking for a lot,” Baekhyun retorted, crossed legs slipping a bit. He took a deep breath. “Okay.”

Luhan grinned. “Now.”

Baekhyun closed his eyes and let go, preparing for impact. What he didn't expect was to actually be caught by his feminine bandmate. He opened his eyes and saw that the other had his arms locked securely around his waist and back. “Whoa.”

Luhan grinned and nodded, setting Baekhyun on his feet. “You doubted me? I'm hurt.”

Baekhyun gathered the food with one hand, keeping the other in the air next to Luhan. “You're a lot stronger than you look.”

“I look strong!” The blonde cried, scoffing. “Haven't you seen me on all those variety shows we went on?”

“I saw Chen.” Baekhyun stood, arms filled.

“Injustice!”

“So,” Baekhyun looked around. “Back to the beach?”

Luhan shrugged. “Why not?” He grabbed a couple of the strange fruit from Baekhyun. “What do you think they taste like?”

Baekhyun stared at the orange pear-like objects. “Sweet? Maybe?”

“They're squishy,” Luhan noted with a delighted laugh. He took a bite and let out a surprised shout. “Whoa, this is awesome!”

“Really?” Baekhyun frowned, lowering himself onto the sand. He dropped the fruit on his stomach and grabbed the ripest, taking a bite. “Wow, you're right.”

Luhan grinned and grabbed another.

The two ate in near silence, the waves crashing onto the beach, leaving behind small half-spheres of foam. The sun sank, turning the sky a warm orange, not unlike their dinner.

Luhan leaned back on the beach, lying on his back. Baekhyun followed suit. A comfortable silence settled between them as they continued to eat.

Luhan quietly settled his hand on top of Baekhyun's and gave the appendage a small squeeze.

“No.”

The blonde laughed nervously and stuffed his face with another piece of fruit.


Yay! An update! Sorry that this took awhile, I was off writing this monster (it's an Emperor's New Groove!AU with taoris. I'm sorry. I can't even watch movies normally anymore.)

Yeah, so I'm tired of researching things, so I made the fruit up. Maybe it exists, maybe it doesn't. Who knows.

So, hi everyone that came from High Maintenance! Tayler's amazing and this is in no way going to be as awesome as her fic. How do you even write 60 chapters anyway? Magic.

SORRY. Anyway, thanks for coming. Chensoo up next. I've really only got kairis and ing plots figured out 100%, so if anyone has any ideas/thoughts on any of the other ships, I'm all ears. 

Right. Well, I'm off to listen to Lipstick until my computer gets tired of it. But like, okay. How fabulous would it be if Lay, Sehun and Luhan covered that? Like.

Okay I'm done now. Sorry. Bye.