If You're Not Winning, You're Losing

Battle of the Ships

 

“THAT CHEATING .”

“Luhan, calm down.”

The blonde huffed, pacing back in forth in front of Baekhyun, who had been rudely awoken by the radio, and was still extremely tired because sleeping on sand really wasn't all that kind to his neck and it was really just his luck that Luhan was a restless sleeper.

“Do you know what I've sarcrificed for that kid? The attention I've given him? The pain I've suffered to make him happy?”

Baekhyun sighed, knowing he would hear it anyway. “No. I don't know. What have you sacrficed?”

Everything.”

“That seems a bit much.”

The rumpled idol blinked, lowering his raised arms and looking like a fish out of water. All of a sudden, his lips downturned and his eyes looked glassy. Baekhyun stayed still as Luhan dropped to his knees and gave a loud cry.

“I JUST WANT TO BE LOVED.”

Baekhyun looked around, hoping that maybe Kris or someone would pop out of the trees and make things okay or yell at Luhan. Heck, maybe if he stared at that one tree enough, Xiumin would pop out and do a silly dance or something.

Just one more minute and...

Nope.

Nothing.

He frowned. He had never been a hallucinatory individual, but he supposed that these things happened sometimes and any hallucination right now would be welcomed.

“LOVE ME, OH SEHUN.”

Really. Anything. Baekhyun wasn't being picky.

With a sigh, Baekhyun gave up and began patting Luhan gingerly on the back, hoping that crazy wasn't contagious. “You have a lot of fans,” he reminded the older man, “they love you.”

“But they're not Sehun.”

Baekhyun nodded. “True.” He coughed and sputtered as the wind blew sand into his face. If he had to spend another day on this island then he was going to–

“NO ONE LOVES ME.”

Baekhyun groaned, then froze. Wait a minute. “Hey, Luhan.”

“What is it?” He blinked at Baekhyun, teary-eyed and not unlike the way a chicken leg looks when it has been cooked to perfection and wow Baekhyun was hungry.

The brunet dispelled all thoughts of food and continued, “you what what kind of person I think Sehun likes?”

“You mean you know his type?”

“Um, yeah.” Baekhyun stopped himself from continuing with yeah, we've been on at least eight different programs. I think everyone knows his type, and simply stated, “Sehun loves a winner.”

“A winner?”

“Yup.”

“Well... I think I won a science fair in second grade so I–“

“No,” Baekhyun stopped the red-faced boy right there. Not the answer he was looking for. “Sehun likes someone who wins a big competition. Like on T.V.”

Luhan stared at Baekhyun before winding his hands in his hair, handcuff chain clinking. “Where am I going to find one of those?”

Baekhyun coughed.

Luhan was still. Then his eyes brightened and enlightenment was reached, the clouds parted and sunlight filtered down like a spotlight onto the chosen boy and the sand glittered like thousands of little sprinkles and if they tasted half as good as they looked then maybe–yup, Baekhyun was starting to hallucinate.

“... so?”

Luhan stood and donned a grin. “So, what you're saying is, if I–“

“We.”

“If we win this competition, Sehun will drop him like he's hot and then get with me and everything will be right in the world again and Sehun will love me?”

“... yes?”

“Then all we have to do is get to Daejeon first, right?”

“Right.” And get to the food first.

“Then let's do it.”

“Okay. I'm hungry.”
 


 


“Hmm.”

“Yup.”

“Well.”

“Yup.”

“Didn't think the kid had it in him.”

“That's what I was thinking.”

Kris was silent for a moment and then, “but Yixing. Yixing. The guy's not even competitve. I don't get it.”

Jongin shrugged, reaching over for another berry and groaning when he found it was too far away. “Reality shows bring out the worst in people.”

Kris shook his head. “No, I share a bathroom with him. He's not competitive.”

Jongin rolled onto his stomach and whined, stretching out for the lone berry. Still not enough. “Maybe there's something that you don't know about him?”

“No.” Kris narrowed his eyes. “He can't be serious about this... can he? Is anybody serious about this?”

“Suho probably is.” Jongin scooted forward a bit. Still not close enough. “He's serious about everything.”

Kris shrugged and leaned back, planting his hands in the soft earth. The more he thought about it, the greater his frown became. “I just–why would any of them be serious about this?”

Jongin groaned, arm flopping down onto the ground. “I don't know. Fancy hotel room?”

“Can't be.” Kris placed his head in his palm, trying to think. “Is this... a popularity conest? Between us?”

Jongin reached forward for the berry. He was going to make it. Breakfast would be soon. He just had to grab it and then done. His hand shot forward and yes, he was going to get it. His fingers stretched out for the berry.

And grazed the side.

The berry rolled forward and off a rock into a ditch.

“Goddammit.”

The blonde man was too caught up in his thoughts to notice the tragic death of the berry. “Is that what this is?” It made sense. The groups were more or less accurate. Luhan and Baekhyun had the same kind of appeal, as did he and Jongin. But they were in fifth. And Yixing was winning. There was something horribly wrong with that picture. “Jongin.”

The younger had both arms crossed over his chest, pouting. “What.”

“We have to win.”

“What. Why. You seemed like you were against all of this... right?”

“Not if it's a contest.” Kris shook his head lightly, ruffled blonde strands falling into his eyes. “I can't let Yixing beat me, let alone Chen. I have to share a room with him. He'll never let me live it down.”

Jongin let his arms fall to his sides. “Hey, if we win...”

“Yeah?”

“Do you think I could get Kyungsoo to make my bed for the rest of the year?”

Kris blinked. “Um, sure?”

“Awesome. Let's do it.”

Kris nodded. A light breeze blew between them, giving sound to the silence. It brought a bit of the ocean with it, filling the air with a salty tang.

“So... how do we win?” Jongin asked, straightfaced.

“I'm working on that.”

The younger rolled his eyes and crossed his legs. “Knew it.”

“I'll come up with something,” Kris promised, ignoring his partner's snarky undertone. “In the mean time,” he motioned towards a small opening heading away from the beach, “shall we?”

Jongin groaned, “more walking?”

“Can you believe it?” Kris replied with an overdramatic gasp. “And on an island, even! Who would have thought?”

Jongin stood and let out a whine. “Carry me?”

Kris laughed. “Not on your life.”

“Then think of a plan quickly. My legs hurt already.”



A/N: Yay for half-assed update! I have four quick things. Read them, don't read them... your choice.

a) I'm going to make it like this from now on. At least two groups. Makes it easier. For me.
b) Concussion=out of school for two weeks which means 1. I automatically fail all of my classes and 2. a load ton of make up work. So yeah. Rainbows.
c) I'm getting a Japanese exchange student this week-wait wow tomorrow-who knows next to no English and will probably die because allergies and I have  pets. Argh. 
d) I'm going to Japan in two weeks. No laptop. Just me and myself and a friend who "can't sleep on planes" hoo freaking rah. (And a bunch of twenty year olds but yeah.)

TL;DR: I am lazy and no further updates until April 10th at the earliest... here's a heart? <3