Welcome to Jangbongdo

Battle of the Ships

 

Suho couldn't hear anything but the wind screeching past his ear. He panicked. And looked down.

“NOOOOO!”

“Grab on!” Suho looked up to see Xiumin struggling with his backpack, tugging at a cord. Suho clenched his fist and realized that he held the other backpack. Well.

“GRAB. ON.”

Suho reached around the frantic man, unwittingly dragging an arm down with him. Gritting his teeth, Xiumin pulled both straps over his head and across his chest, battling the raging wind, and yanked down on the ripcord. He let out a sharp breath as the parachute shot back and he and Suho were left to the mercy of the wind. He reached for the straps connecting him to the material with one hand and grabbed Suho's hand with his other.

When they were met with sand, both boys simply lied on the ground for a minute, savoring the solidity. Then Suho realized he had sand in his mouth.

Xiumin tore off the parachute whilst Suho hacked and coughed out tiny grains. “Right. First things first. Where are we?”

“Jangbongdo,” Suho answered, voice slightly muffled by his tongue, which was hanging out of his mouth.

“What? How the hell do you know that?”

Suho held up a map, the other backpack open in his lap.

Xiumin reached for the sack with his available hand and tore through what was inside. Once he was done, the only thing left was a small black sphere. He reached for it with the intent of ripping that out, too, but Suho grabbed his wrist before he could do so.

Suho stared at him above their awkward hand-holding, chained hands lying on the ground and Suho almost doing the splits in order to grab Xiumin.

“Don't do it.”

“Why not?”

“She said not to.”

Xiumin scoffed, “You mean you're actually going to do this?”

Suho said nothing, but continued to give Xiumin a meaningful stare. After a few moments, Xiumin ripped his hand away with a sigh, sending Suho face-first into the sand, prompting him into another round of hacking and gagging. Xiumin gingerly patted the K leader on the back until he resurfaced, staring at the handcuffs distastefully, “Did they really have to add them?”

Xiumin shrugged and grabbed the map Suho had been holding. There was a large black dot to the left of the coast. He squinted and saw the small writing in pen beside it. Jangbongdo. That's what Suho had said. He stared at the map and saw that they were close to Incheon. Perfect. He snapped his fingers in front of Suho.

“What is it?”

“I've got a plan,” he began, “we run over to Incheon, claim that we've been kidnapped, get these handcuffs off, rescue the others and then ta-da! We're done.”

“... done?”

Xiumin raised an eyebrow, “Are you doubting my plan?”

“Um?”

“You're totally doubting it.”

Suho bit his lip, “Not really.”

“You're filled with doubt.”

“Maybe just a little?”

“Filled.”

Suho groaned, sitting up and in the process, sending sand flying everywhere and even into Xiumin's eye.

“Ah!”

“All I'm saying is,” Suho began slowly, focused solely on his speech, “is that... that we agreed to this.”

“Not really.”

Technically,” Suho forced out with furrowed brows, “we did say that we'd do it.”

“I didn't.”

“Some of the rest of us did.”

“That's not me.”

Suho looked down and mumbled, “We are one...”

Xiumin covered his face with his hands and fell backwards, causing Suho to land with an, “Oof!” on his stomach.

“Oh my god, you're worse than Kris.”

Suho used an elbow to lever himself off of Xiumin and curled on his side, perpendicular to the older M member. “But you get what I'm trying to say, right?”

“Yeah, no. I get it,” he ruffled his hair, hoping that some of the sand coming out would hit Suho, “I just don't agree with you. At all.”

Suho turned over and sent Xiumin the most pitiful look he could muster. When that didn't work, he started to pout and then–

“Ohmygod no. Don't do that. Ever. Suho with aegyo is not something I want to see,” Xiumin almost shouted, hands covering the other's face.

Suho screamed, pulling the hands off his face and shooting the older a glare. “I couldn't breathe!”

Xiumin shrugged.

Suho sighed and sat up, leaving his chained hand beside Xiumin so that the other wouldn't be jostled.

Xiumin raised an eyebrow and groaned. “Ugh, fine.” He raised his thumb, “We are one!”

Suho laughed and rose to his feet, grabbing the elder's hands and pulling him up, too.

Xiumin dusted himself off and looked to Suho expectantly. “So, what now, Leader?”

“Leader?” Suho made a face, “But you're older.”

“Doesn't matter. Once a leader, always a leader,” He rocked back onto his heels and looked around, “besides, it's never mattered before that I'm the oldest.”

The hunched over brunet slowly opened his mouth to protest.

“But never mind that. What do you want me to do?”

Suho closed his mouth then frowned, “well, we should get rid of the parachute first.”

“Right. Throw it into the sea.”

“What? No.”

“Throw it into the forest?”

“NO.”

Xiumin thought for a minute, and then snapped his fingers. “Right. We roll it up and then leave it on the rocks over there, and then it's nature's fault if it kills a shark.”

“... what?”

“Not an outright objection. I win. Now help me roll this up.”

Hesitantly, Suho folded and rolled the tarp-like parachute into the smallest oval-square possible, then watched as Xiumin threw it over his shoulder and walked with him down to an outcrop of rocks on the side of the beach, ditched the parachute, and jogged back to the forgotten backpack.

“So, what does the pack have?” Xiumin wondered aloud, sitting down slowly so as to let Suho sit down without being yanked. He grabbed an envelope and one of the sheets on the ground, and Suho grabbed the others.

“Jangbongdo,” Suho began, “a calming place, good for retirement, with green beaches, pine groves, and majestic mountains. Accessible by way of ferry,” he turned the sheet this was and that, squinting to see if there were any clues or anything, “well that wasn't very helpful.”

“On the contrary,” Xiumin held up a finger, “now we know more about where we are, and can have a lovely vacation.”

“You're being sarcastic.”

“Nice deduction, Sherlock.”

“I'm starting to figure out why we don't hang out that much,” Suho said with a slight scowl.

Xiumin sighed, “Sorry. Keep going. What else is in there?”

Suho sorted through the small pile of papers, “Um, categories, timetable, a schedule? Right, so for the first three days, we have to stay on the island. Then we have four days to get to Daejeon, where the first person to reach the hotel will be the winner.”

“Anything about the hotel in there?”

“Um... nope.”

“Hmm,” Xiumin looked at the two things he had, and read the paper before groaning and throwing it aside, “well, I got the rules and...” He looked inside the envelope and grinned. After a second, the grin fell and was replaced with a deep frown.

“What? What is it?”

“Twenty thousand won,” Xiumin seethed, “are you kidding me? Only twenty thousand? For seven days? We're going to die!”

“But...” Suho scooted closer, “that's about enough to ride a ferry, right?”

Xiumin stopped his antics and looked sideways to Suho. “Right.”

Suho grinned and leaned back, gathering the paper and putting them back into the bag with a plastic container.

“What's that?”

“Hm? Oh, this,” Suho shook it lightly in his grasp, causing quiet clicks to sound, “They're medical supplies. We'll need them.”

Xiumin cocked an eyebrow.

Suho shrugged, “just in case.”

The older brunet nodded and rose to his feed, keeping his left hand low. “Right, so we need to clear up one thing before I do this race thing with you.”

Suho smiled, “and what would that be?”

“We need to win.”

Suho paused in doing up the bindings of the bag. “I'm sorry?”

“Aren't you tired of it? Of being left behind because you aren't as athletic as Tao, you can't dance as well as Lay, you're not as adorable as Luhan, you can't be as intimidating as Kris, and Chen... well, no, I don't have any problems with Chen,” He looked at the ground thoughtfully, “but you get it, right? Well I suppose it would be different for you... yeah, you know how you're not respected, even though you're the leader?”

“I'm not?” Suho frowned.

“Yeah, and instead of being looked up to for being older, you're looked down on–no offense, I get it too, we're the same height–and made fun of.”

“I am?” Suho practically whimpered.

“Yeah! And this is our chance! Our chance to show them all that we're better! That we're the ones they should be idolizing! Not Kris or Kai.”

“I don't mind Kai getting all the attention. He deserves it. He works very har–“

“That. That right there is why they don't respect you,” Xiumin huffed. “that's why we have to win. We will show them! We'll show them that we're the best! WE. WILL. WIN.” He shouted, fiery gaze staring upwards at the cloudless sky.

“You're kind of scaring me.”

 


 

A/N: Right. Okay. There's the first (real) chapter. Yay sumin!

Also, this has more than 5 subscribers. What. Why.

Chantao next! Woo!