12; Jongin

Powers Are A Pain In The

12; Jongin

 

"I'll be there whenever you need me."

"Just stop giving me heart attacks, please."


a. Scaring others

 

Jongin's superpower was by far the most interesting, as the man himself would not hesitate to affirm. His power of teleportation made days 100% more amusing to him, and 100% more annoying to others who were the victim of his actions. Jongin loved how his spontaneous appearance in any room could stir up intense reactions from everyone else there. To the other members, even after living together with Jongin for so long, no one had really gotten used to him randomly appearing in different places. It took Junmyeon three months alone to not to get a heart attack whenever Jongin materialised in front of him.

 

No one knew how the whole of EXO ended up in the living room watching Paranormal Activity 3, but Jongin suspected it was Baekhyun's idea. Either way, Kyungsoo had inserted the DVD into the player and Sehun had turned off the lights leaving the dorm in pitch-black darkness ("For authenticity," he claimed). It was barely half an hour into the movie and Jongin was terribly bored. Seriuosly, what kind of lame horror movie was this? The camera work was shaky, the plot was cheap, the acting was terrible—Jongin really wanted to fall asleep.

 

He eyed the other members disinterestedly. Yixing, unsurprisingly, was fast asleep, and snoring softly from the uncomfortable position in which he lay on the floor. Minseok was munching on popcorn, with a blank expression. Jongin laughed. He probably wouldn't blink twice even if a real ghost jumped at him. The others were all watching the movie with eyes glued to the screen; Jongin let his eyes rove around and saw Junmyeon, who was squeezing his eyes shut. Tao was next to him, cowering with his face nuzzled into the crook of his shoulders.

 

Like mother, like son. Jongin sighed and shook his head.

 

The eerie music swelled in a sickening crescendo that left them with bated breath. Seeing how afraid Junmyeon and Tao were, an idea occurred to the resident prankster of the group.

 

Darkness all around him... there was strange images on the walls of the corridors... a hissing sound, a flash of red... Junmyeon could hear the palpitation of his own heartbeat as he screwed his eyes shut.

 

"Boo."

 

The sound by his ear made him jump up and shriek for a good five minutes at least. Tao, too, was scared out of his wits and started crying and wailing like the world was going to end.

 

Jongin almost regretted what he did because he was on the verge of being deaf. Almost.

 

"What the is going on?" Kris had no qualms about ditching his leader image when he was pissed. Junmyeon was too busy screaming to remind him not to curse.


Baekhyun snapped his fingers and the lights . "Well, what happened?" An annoyed Jongdae demanded to know. Horror movies were his forte and he was rather displeased at being interrupted.

 

"There was... a ghost... and it said 'boo' in my ear," Junmyeon explained when he had calmed down enough to speak, but his face was still deathly pale. Tao continued sobbing. Luhan handed him a box of tissues, which he used to blow his nose.

 

"Pfft, you must be overreacting to the movie, hyung. Everyone knows ghosts don't exist," Chanyeol dismissed his worries with the nonchalant wave of a hand. Jongin looked away innocently.

 

"Hyung, you and Tao need to calm down and relax. It's just a movie," Kyungsoo reassured. "It may be causing you to imagine things."

 

"But I swear there was a voice, and it sounded very male. Do ghosts have genders?"

 

Everyone exchanged looks as if to say "he's crazy".

 

Yixing, who had been woken up from his sleep, slowly mumbled, "Maybe you should go to bed, hyung. Evidently the movie isn't for you. Tao, you too. Sleep is the best." And he promptly dozed off again.

 

"Junmyeon-hyung, can you sleep with me?" Tao asked, shivering.

 

"Okay." The older walked to his room, with Tao clinging to him like a koala.

 

"That was you, wasn't it," Kyungsoo whispered to him after the movie resumed.

 

"Yeah," admitted Jongin, "I was bored."

 

b. Convenience

 

Jongin barely needed to walk, all he needed to do was close his eyes and he'd end up in a different place altogether. He had to be careful not to do it in public, of course, or else he'd cause a ruckus and invite the whole nation's scrutiny. If he needed some clothes, he'd teleport himself to Myeongdong and buy them. If he wanted to eat, he'd teleport to a restaurant and buy takeaway for himself. It was akin to having the world at his fingertips.

 

Of course the EXO members realised how valuable his power was, so they tried to goad him into doing errands for them. He didn't mind when it wasn't too much, but Sehun kept trying to take advantage of him by imploring him to buy food, clothes, games and whatever else for him. He had a hard time dealing with the spoilt maknae.

 

"No, I'm not buying you a new pair of sneakers," Jongin sighed.

 

"But why?" Sehun whined. 

 

"You know perfectly well why," Jongin replied calmly, and teleported into his room for some peace, away from all the noise. 

 

"But you helped find Kris the last time!" Sehun retorted.

 

When their leader had gone missing, it was Jongin who had teleported to Mumbai to save him from the clutches of some Bollywood talent scout. He still remained undeniably proud of that fact.

 

"It was a matter of life or death," Jongin said sagely. "Do you really want Kris-hyung to leave us and join some dubious Bollywood show?"

 

"... No," Sehun conceded. Images of Kris wearing gaudy and fancy costumes and singing in Hindi were enough to dissuade him. Their leader's fashion sense was terrible enough as it was.

 

"There you go," Jongin smiled.

 

"You still ," Sehun hissed as he was leaving, only to see the latter smirk at him.

 

c. Travelling

 

Jongin had made it his dream to go to every country in the world. Ever since he discovered his power of teleportation, he would always find time to spend a day in a country in the world, taking care to avoid big cities with fans who might recognise him.

 

It was Chuseok holiday for the EXO members; most of them were going back to their hometowns, with the exception of Sehun who was following Tao to Qingdao. Jongin vaguely wondered how the two would handle themselves in a foreign country (for Sehun, anyway) without adult supervision. 

 

Jongin, meanwhile, already had his itinerary planned out. He would visit three countries in the span of a day. He was packing his bag in the dorm, when Minseok walked over.

 

"Jongin, are you travelling again?"

 

"Yes, to France, England and Hawaii."

 

"Well, be careful, it's cold in Europe." And to prove his point, he created a swirl of snowflakes that landed softly on the floor of the room, lending it a kind of ethereal quality. In an instant, the snowflakes disappeared again, and Jongin chuckled.

 

"I bought my winter clothes," Jongin assured, holding up a large parka. And with that, he was off in the blink of an eye. 

 

He teleported himself first to Stamford Bridge, the iconic stadium which housed Chelsea. He gazed in awe at the surroundings. The stadium was huge. It had been his dream, since young, to go watch his boyhood idol Fernando Torres play, and visiting Stamford Bridge brought him ever closer to his dream.

 

It wasn't a match day, so Jongin knew finding players there would be difficult. Jongin wanted so badly to be able to see the dressing room, the place where all the players and staff would be. He briefly wondered whether it would be illegal, but ah, heck it. With a deep breath, he teleported himself inside the dressing room.

 

And in front of him was Fernando Torres. Jongin blinked a few times just to ascertain that it was really him, and could only stop himself from screaming by biting his tongue. Jongin was hyperventilating, feeling like a teenage fangirl in front of her biggest crush. Torres took one glance at him and jumped in fright.

 

"Where the did you come from?" He asked in English.

 

"I... uh, Jongin, from... uh, Korea?" Jongin fumbled with his limited grasp of the language. He regretted not paying attention during his English lessons in high school. 

 

"What, but, how did you—but you—you just appeared in mid-air!" Torres gesticulated, waving his arms around madly.

 

"I... sorry," Jongin apologised profusely, because he didn't know how to say I've been a fan of you forever and I teleported from Korea to see you. "Big fan. Love you." 

 

Close enough. 

 

Jongin took out his phone and was about to approach his idol for a photo when—

 

"This is madness," Torres muttered, shaking his head. "Guards!" 

 

Jongin hurriedly took a lot of pictures (they were all blurry but who cared) before the security guards came in from all sides and overwhelmed him. They pinned his hands to his back, and despite his protests, pushed him out of the stadium. He was thrown onto a dank and soggy sidewalk without any mercy. 

 

"Torres!" Jongin wailed sadly as the guards left without a look back. His first visit to England had ended terribly, but at least he got to snap a photo.


A/N:

All the members are finally done! Whew this was such a long fic that lasted for almost 2 years (?) I'm thankful to each and everyone of you who subscribed, commented and upvoted even though my chapters aren't always up to standard ;n; I'm thinking of extending this fic with an additional chapter featuring EXO's manager, what do you guys think? Please tell me in the comments :) Once again, thank you all so much <3