Do You Remember?

All a Lie

               He saw her sitting there in the dimly lit restaurant as the candle in font of her flickered when people passed by her.  She looked so beautiful in the ambiance of the room, her chin resting on hand as she propped her arm on the table. It gave him such a heavy heart to be picking her up again from another date her boyfriend cancelled.

                 He took out his phone from his pocket and called her.  He watched her rummaged through her purse, looking for her phone. She forced a smile on her perfectly shaped lips, answering the call. “You look lonely there,” he said, admiring her for just a while longer.

                “Come to take me home, Jiyong?” she looked around, searching for him.

                Jiyong smiled at her child like expression as he made his way towards her. She hung up her phone upon seeing him and stood up.  “We don’t have to leave,” Jiyong shrugged. She gave a weak smile and sighed, “I think I’ve waited a long enough. I’m ready to go.”

-

                Jiyong couldn’t help but glance at her as they walked around aimlessly in the streets of Seoul. She her ice cream, a far off look in her eyes. Upon the many years of knowing each other, Jiyong knew that her comfort food was ice cream. He didn’t need to know exactly what was bothering her, he already knew.

                “I’m sorry,” Jiyong suddenly blurted out. Snapping out of her gaze, she looked up at him, surprised.

                “What for?” she asked.

                He scratched the back of his head, looking away from her. “I know you were expecting to see Seungri tonight, but here I am yet again, picking you up.” He sighed and looked at her again. “I’m sorry.”

                “I’m not disappointed,” she said before taking her eyes away from him. “In you, that is.” He heard the apparent sadness in her voice. “It’s just that—I’m getting tired of always waiting for him.” He didn’t know what to say after that. Instead of saying something stupid and impulsive, he kept his mouth shut.

                They continued to walk in silence as he left her to her thoughts and her ice cream. He was battling his own conscience, a guilty one at that. Soon, they neared a familiar building, one that had brought them together – Jiyong, her and Seungri. She looked up at it and smiled.  “Did you want to go in?” he asked.

                She looked at him with a hopeful gleam in her eyes. “Can we? You don’t think they’re still open?” She bit her bottom lip causing him to grin.

                “Do you even remember how late we would stay here practicing?” he redundantly asked her. She then grabbed his hand, pulling him in to walk up the stairs towards the practice room they now felt foreign to. There were a couple dancers in there packing their things, not recognizing any of them as they just walked past, one by one. Soon, it was just the two of them left in the room to admire the place that had once been like a second home to them.

                She walked to the middle, spinning with her arms wide open. She took in a deep breath and sighed. “I can’t believe it’s been so long since we’ve been here,” she said, her eyes closed. He chuckled at how cute she looked, the feeling of nostalgia hitting them both like a ton of bricks.

                Soon, they started to reminisce about old times in the studio. They talked about everything from the first day they met, to the routines they had done, to the day they had to leave the dance group. She giggled at the memory of Jiyong having to dress up as a girl, dancing in a dress to a girly pop song. He watched her expression brightly light up as they continued to recollect the times in this studio.

                “Do you remember that routine that we did? The one with our mini duet?” she asked, looking back at him.

                “Question is, do you?” Jiyong asked, as if questioning her ability. She scoffed at him and started to dance. He followed from where she was and soon, they were doing their old routine with no music. It was as if they had travelled back a few years ago to that specific routine, dancing with everyone again. The duet soon came and they were doing it as if they had just practiced it the night before. Before Jiyong knew it, their hands clasped together, faces only inches apart. Both breathing hard, they looked into each others eyes.

                She pulled away first, wiping her hands on her pants, eyes averting his. At that moment, they both realized what had happened next after they finished that routine. Before either one could say anything, a small jingle in her bag filled the room. She jogged towards it, sitting down on the floor as she once again had to hunt for her mobile phone. Answering it, Jiyong knew by the tone of her voice and conversation as to who she was talking to.

               He then walked towards her, sitting a couple feet away from where she was. He tried not to look at her expression, one she always wore when talking to him. He felt anger in him slowly starting to grow, hating not only her boyfriend but also himself.

                Jiyong soon heard her click her phone off and looked at her. It looked like she was in deep thought and he didn’t want to disturb her. They then sat there again in momentary silence, something of which they were both comfortable in each other’s presence.

                “Do you remember?” her voice broke the stillness.  He looked up at her, honestly not knowing as to what she was referring to. She rolled her eyes and a forced smile formed on her lips. “Don’t act like you don’t.” Suddenly hitting him, she was still thinking about that night. He closed my eyes and sighed, regretting what he had said to her that night. She uttered those words that he wished she could tell him again right now. She scoffed and he opened my eyes to look at her. “I felt so stupid,” she laughed at herself. Jiyong looked at her as she leaned back on the mirror, a stabbing feeling in his heart.

                He was about to call out her name when she looked at him, cutting him off. “I told Seungri where we were. He said he’ll be here in half an hour.”

                He just nodded his head, a nagging question burning in his mind yearning to get out. He always wondered what it would be like now if he had told her – told her that he felt the same way about her that night she had confessed.

                “I don’t know, you tell me,” his head quickly turned to her, surprised. Had he thought that out loud? He saw her shrug and smile weakly.  “What do you think?” she repeated. Jiyong’s eyes slowly descended down, looking at the ground before flicking back up at her.

                “You probably wouldn’t be with Seungri right now,” he said. She looked at him and her smile turned into a more sincere one.

                “We probably wouldn’t have this awesome friendship either,” she said, not knowing how her words stung him. He laughed it off, trying to make it as casual as possible. What he didn’t know was that her longing gaze lingered, her eyes then falling to look down on the ground. She sighed, forcing a smile on her lips.

 

-

A/N: Yeah, I'm still rusty and all this fluff isn't usally my forte but what the hell. Trying out new things is good, right?