VI

Still Alive // Evolution

 Why ? 

  This was all I wondered at the despicable sight of Dong Wook in our living room. He was coming more often now, which I hated. Now since the small trust we built up had been bulldozed and now laid as pile of rubble at my feet. He never said a word to me, and things seemed to drag on and on as how they had been for days. Thanks to Jiyong, the lovely face of Mrs. Kwon has disappeared from life itself. I only saw her when I went to bed, when she'd quietly turn off the sight of her estranged husband laying on the couch in the dim light. I hadn't heard a goodnight, or an I love you from both since she spilled the beans on the club, which she shouldn't of done. I know for a fact it's my fault, since the outcome made things even worse. By day I was a wandering computer, quiet and obedient, but by night I was living a girl's life, all in order to get away from the war zone that was my home. Deep inside I knew I was changing at an alarming rate. 

"This is pretty much the last of the plans, we just have to get them to the DAST." 

Plans? Are they making something? 

I quietly listened with my door ajar as they continued to discuss the buisness. I  wanted to know what was going on with Master Jiyong's research, and if they really had gotten to a milestone. But as usual, I let my habit of eavesdropping get the best of me. Suddenly I heard them stand up from the table, and the shuffle of papers. I held my breath as I heard their footsteps approach the door, slamming it behind them as they left. It was dead silent, the sound of midmorning traffic faint through the walls of the apartment. I felt like going to talk to Mrs. Kwon, although I had fear of what I would find in that room. 

_______________________________________________________________________

"Just in time, Mr. Kwon, Mr Choi. We've just finished a revolutionary device that with be beneficial to your research." 

Their shoes clicked on the marble floor as a man in a white coat let them to the room where a newly built lab stood. He paused to open the door for the two, and they entered to a vast array of tables filled with papers and tools, and other various scientific equipment. They followed him to a large electronic grid that stood upright towards the back of the lab. "After several weeks, we finished this faster than expected." "Is this-?" " Yes, the Retrospection Mainframe, as our combined efforts created. It hasn't been tested, for we don't have a subject to test with yet. But when connected to a source, the mainframe can extract the memories stored in the brain, and display them on this grid, which allowes us to choose between time periods of the persons life. Thus, allowing us to take a great look into the past to where lives began, were lost, and then reborn." "Amazing," Jiyong said,"  Just as I had hoped it'd come out..with the joint efforts of the DAST, and the BCA of course." "Indeed, and with this, we will most definitely be able to uncover new information that you, Mr. Kwon, have might not recovered." The thought of it had left questions swimming inside Jiyong. Some memories could really still be missing..

"I can be your subject." 

"Mr. Kwon, you can't be serious," Dong Wook responded, both he and the scientist looking on in shock. "Yes, it's too risky-" "How will we continue without more information to go on? Where else would it be other than within me? At this point, you'll have to rely on me to get that crucial information." The two exchanged glances, debating whether they should follow through with the request. "Are you sure about this, Mr. Kwon?" " I am the center of this whole thing, and in order to figure out the truth behind what I am now, you have to extract whatever memories that didn't resurface 10 years ago." " very well, I'll get everything ready." The anticipation was burning inside Jiyong. He knew what he had to do, and he wanted to find the answers. 

___________________________________________________________________

It was late, and strangely, the President was still at the building of the BCA; waiting for someone. He was organizing papers when the double doors to the board room burst open, and a woman followed by several of her assistants entered. "I trust no one followed you on your way here?" "I am positive, I told my staff that this meeting was to be kept a secret." "The pieces are falling into place, and I have a new assignment for you." "What needs to be done, beloved President." "Take your team and find their bodies. Whoever hasn't fully decomposed, you will take their DNA, and deliver them to the lab I requested for." "Very well, is there one you specifically wish for?" The president paused, thinking of every possible detail he could recall. "Bring me the most powerful one. We will re-create him." 

 "We'll have to be extra careful with this one. Injecting it will most definitely have powerful results."  The sight of several men in lab coats crowing around a man chained to a wall came into view. He had numerous wires attached to his body, and Jiyong watched as one scientist carried a syringe, and proceeded to inject the serum into his arm. "proceed with the 50 volts of electricity" With the flip of a switch, He watched in horror as the man let out a scream at the electricity surging through his body." "NNGAAH, You bastards! I won't let you change me into the monster  you want me to be !"  They disregarded his taunts as they continued upping the volts, his cries became louder.  "I'll kill you all!" "Keep the electricity going. The serum will react with the element within a few hours." This was his fate. What cruel element would he be forced to endure? "Your new life is steadily approaching. It won't be long now."

"Subject 5. Power of electricity. Name, Seungri." 

 

"Mr. Kwon we're finished." 

Jiyong's eyes flashed open to the white celing of the lab above him. "Did you find anything?" "Oh, sir , we've found information that will be very useful! I'll just transfer your memories to a drive and we can review them whenever-!" "I have to get home." "Yes, this device might ave some side effects. I reccomend you go relax." "Yea I have to get home to..to Noella-" Jiyong felt himself go limp as he fell to the floor. The world fading away before his eyes. 

_________________________________________________________________

I had come back to reality as the phone rang , realizing I had dozed off on the couch. I heard the door to Mrs. Kwon's room burst open, and she rushed to retreive the phone. "Yeboseyo?" "Mrs. Kwon! Thank goodness you answered," Dong Wook said over the line," Mr. Kwon out in the middle of testing a new device we're using for the research." "Oh no.." I heard her say, and it clicked right away that something was wrong.  "We're coming right now. Be there soon-" I could tell he was saying something, but Mrs. Kwon cut him off as she hung up. "We have to go. Jiyong is unconsious. I'll get the car." "No way. I'll drive." "Do you even know how?" "Trust me this one time Mrs. Kwon. I'll get you there." "Alright," she replied with worry in her eyes. Trailing behind me, we left the apartment, speeding down the stairwell to the parking garage.

__________________________________________________________________

Unsure what I was doing, I carefully scanned the controls of the car. I was getting too stressed with the situation at hand; I needed to relax. For a moment, I closed my eyes and inhaled the air around me, looking deep inside myself for the key to ease the nerves. It was as if all the knowledge I needed came into my system at that instant as I opened my eyes, and I had skillfully started the vehicle. Mrs Kwon was in awe beside me as I pulled out, and sped down the street. "When did you learn to drive, Chaerin?" "I didn't," I responded," It's just came to me. "Well Dong Wook said they're all at the hospital." "They probably already have a room for Jiyong then." "Since when have you started doing and saying all these things?" I smiled," I got a little exposure to the outside world in my time alone, and realized that I shouldn't be so afraid of life." "I knew that time you spent apart from us would do you well, Chaerin. I'm very happy." "I won't let you guys down, and no matter how old I get, I'll always be here for support." "You do know you won't look much different after 30 years, right. That is, if the DAST creates a revolutionary software that will be the final piece to creating a true artificial human that ages and dies." "Could we please not talk about death? It bothers me. " Alright, I won't," she said," But you do know that all computers like you have a certain lifespan, and eventually you will stop working." "I know. But I'm not going to live my life in the shadows anymore." 

 

"I'll take on anything that crosses my path."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N : Ohmygod, I finally get this chapter done, goddamn! It's been too long subscribers, I'm sorry :( I miss being able to write almost everyday, but my workload had been doubled due to the block i'm taking in school, and i'm trying to stay on top of things because I flunked it and had to retake it. Soon, hopefully I'll be back with the weekly updates. Until the next update !

Cheriamb