III

Still Alive // Evolution

I had heard the same story a few times before, but this was so different than I expected. My masters words from the conversation I had overheard with Mrs. Kwon floated about my head as I woke up that morning. My extreme curiosity was a bad thing, and it had gotten me into trouble in the past. I had been trying so hard to sustain my intense interest with every private and confidental matter I happened to come across. Honestly, I felt like I hadn't done very well with it. 

 The apartment was quiet as I made my way out into the living room, hearing the rain pouring down outside the windows. I watched as little droplets trickled down the glass outside. Today seemed unplesantly glum than other days, which lowered my spirits immensely. I pressed my hands against the cold glass as I usually did, staring out into the vast expanse of skyscrapers and towers which seemed to surround the building. I liked to pretend we were at the center of everything, since thats what it always looked like from the inside. 

"You're up early."

I jumped at his voice, and quickly turned to see my him walking into the room. " Good morning master." "Good morning to you too Chaerin." I looked onto him with a puzzled expression as I had realized he was dressed. "Are you going out master? I thought you were planning to stay home today." "I was," he sighed, scratching the back of his neck," But of course, I'm always needed for something. Luckily I didn't exactly promise Noella anything-" " Promised me what?" We both stopped as Mrs. Kwon entered the room. "Jiyong, is there something I'm missing?" she said, rubbing her eyes. "The President wants me again today..I realyl have to go, I told him I was on my way-"

  "Aish, and here I was,  so excited for one day where you didn't have to rush off-" " Yeobo,  I know how you feel, and I'm sorry." He walked over, wrapping an arm around her waist , then gave a quick kiss on the forehead. "The least you could do is come back as soon as you can." He nodded, rushing to  grab his coat that had been thrown over the sofa. "Are you not eating this morning, master?" "Oh, no, I'll get something to eat once I'm finished-" "Oh no, Jiyong, you have to eat something." "I'll be fine," he said heading towards the door,"I'll be back as quick as possible." Mrs Kwon let out a deep sigh, and I felt her hands on the back of my shoulders as I watched my master leave the house. 

I wonder what buisness he has to attend to today...

..No Chaerin! You can't keep being so nosy!

___________________________________________________________________

"So glad you could make it this morning."

Dong Wook jogged into the board room, dropping his folders and resting his hands on his knees to catch his breath. "I take it the morning commute didn't treat you well today?" " Commute was fine, it's just Chanmi was being a fuss." "Your computer can stay out of our buisness for now. Come quick, we have much to talk about." He continued to pant, then slowly picked up his files and went to take a seat. "Now, from last night's meeting," the president began, clasping his hands together as Dong Wook finally took a seat beside him. "What have you got for me so far." "Well, to be honest President Seon Woong, I think I'm going to need more information." "What? I thought what was discussed at the board meeting was enough for a jumpstart to get this research going." "I thought that as well at first, but I'd like to make a request-" "And what will that be?" "Let me talk to Mr. Kwon. I'd have to work closely with him in order to actually get somewhere-" "Already done. I asked him to come in about 15 minutes ago. He agreed and said he was on his way." "Really?" " Well of course! Mr. Kwon was already going to have a big role in this research! It was decided on day 1!" 

"Am I interrupting anything?"

The two men looked to find Jiyong entering the room. "Ah, Mr. Kwon," the President said," Welcome! Come have a seat. We have things to discuss." 

_____________________________________________________________________

"Well that was definitely a wonderful start to the morning, don't you think Chaerin?" 

I watched as Mrs. Kwon sped around the room, trying to prepare breakfast for the two of us without exploding from the stress in the air. This wasn't good for her, not in her condition. "Mrs. Kwon, I think you should sit down," I said," I know you're frustrated with Master Jiyong, but you shouldn't push yourself like this. I-Im not even hungry right now-" " Thank you, Chaerin, you're so considerate. But I'm fine, really." I sighed, walking over into the kitchen. Approaching Mrs. Kwon, I grabbed her hand, meeting her gaze with my concerned expression. "Really, you should relax," I said. She hesitated for a moment, but then relaxed, and I let go of her hand. "Oh, Chaerin," she said, strolling into the living room," You're right, this isn't good for me." Falling to the couch, she then ran a hand throw her black hair as she exhaled. "All this work he's been doing is too much right now. He should be at home, taking care of me-" "I know, and he knows he can focus on his work more with me around to help you. I was made to help you in his absence-" "Oh no, Chaerin you're much more than that believe me."

  "Then what am I even?" I said,throwing my arms up in defeat,"He always told me everyone had a purpose in life. I can't find my purpose for being here,so what am I?" Mrs. Kwon sighed, and gave me a look of sympathy. "I really can't answer that. It's for you to figure out." "I've tried Mrs. Kwon, really I have. I think I've just given up." She looked around the apartment , as if searching for something to cheer me up. Then it looke as if something clicked in her. "I want to show you something,” she said, nudging her head towards their bedroom. She stood up and I followed her into the bedroom, curious at what my master’s wife had to say. Stopping at a large black drawer, she smiled, pulling open the top drawer.  She reached in, pulling out a stack of old photographs secured by a rubberband.  “These are me and Jiyong's memories,” she grinned, running a hand over the thick wad of photo paper. “All of these were taken a while ago, before you came to us.” She removed the rubberband, setting the loose stack of photos on the surface of the drawer. I watched with interest as she pulled out a photo, handing it to me. 

“Jiyong took this three years after we crossed paths again.” “My, god, you look so young!” I said, looking on in suprise. “ Indeed, I was about 21 in this photo.” “How long had you been living with each other?” “Months turned into years, and so on. Once civilization started to get back on it’s feet, he convinced me to move to the city. Said we’d be safer here.” “It’s the truth, look at you now. How could you have lived out in the wastelands being pregnant.” “ I’m a strong woman, I could’ve handled it. Jiyong and I take good care of each other, so I’m sure we would of had no trouble having a baby out there.” “You would’ve died from the pain.” “OH, quiet,” she retorted, slapping me playfully on the arm.  She took me in her arms, kissing my forehead and saying sweet words in my ear. “Jiyong and I are very lucky to have you, understand?. You’re a very special part of our family.” “Yaah, a family that’s still growing.” “Either way, we still consider you our first daughter, Chaerin. Remember that.” I rolled my eyes as she pinched my cheek before leaving the room. “Yaah! Mrs. Kwon!” “I’ve told you a thousand times, Chaerin! Just call me Umma for christ’s sake!” “It’s awkward  calling you that!” “You’re being ridiculous. Now, what did you want to say?”
 
“When will he be back?” “It shouldn’t be too long, I think. I just realized he has to check up on how the DAST is doing.” “Do you know anything else about the Department? “Well I don't know much, but they create and fix software for artificial humans. Androids is a better word for it, that's why it's called the DAST. Department of Android Software and Technology. But many of the people you see walking on the streets were created by them.  Jiyong requested that the department have you specially made for us.” “ Is that why I’m such a gem to you people?” “Oh stop!” she said in reaction to my teasing.
 
As much as I love how Master Jiyong and Ms.Kwon adopted me, I don’t see how I’m special. I look like the rest of humankind on the outside, but on the inside i’m a hunk of metal, springs and cables, I have no heart. Do others like me have this same issue? Not feeling good enough? Sure we can perform basically every human action, but there are things we can’t experience, that we’re not allowed to do. 
In a way, I envy Mrs. Kwon. She’s a natural beauty, blessed with the kindness and loving personality that I would die for. From what I see, Master Jiyong is head-over-heels for her, the kind of sincere love that would result in him falling to his knees, begging to make her happy. He takes good care of her though..he has as long as I can remember. They’re lucky, having a dramatic love story that’s spanned over ages of time.  As much as I might be part of this family, I feel as if I’m not entitled to say I’m their flesh and blood. I feel like that's all that it's ever going to be. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A/N : The long awaited chapter threeI am SORRRRY ONCE AGAIN. It was a struggle to write this chapter, i've been having such a lack of ideas lately. But I think from here on out, it'll be a bit smoother. Until the next update!
 
 
   Cheriamb