IV

Still Alive // Evolution

  A couple weeks have gone by, and this aching feeling in my chest hasn't ceased. Master Jiyong hasn't returned home for a while now, and I can see it's starting to have it's effects on Mrs. Kwon. She's stressed about..almost everything, being so used to seeing her husband when she woke up in the morning. I've been forced take action, attempting to calm her down as she worries constantly about him having an affair. He wouldn't do that to her, not after all they've been through. It's just all the work he's been mentioning. I can assume that's what's taking up all his time, and I know he's wishing he could come home to us.  My heart would sink every time I had to see her pale face. She's had more sleepless nights than I could count. But both of our prayers for this to end had been answered, as the phone rang that afternoon. Mrs. Kwon ran for the phone. "Easy!" "Shh!"

"Yeboseyo?"

"It's me." 

I heard her sigh "Jiyong..when are you coming home? It's been days..I-" "I'm going to be home tonight..don't worry." "Do you have time to talk at the moment?" "A little..we've managed to get somewhere with the research." "Oh.. thats good to hear.."

I listened as she continued to respond in a quiet voice. She was still upset about it. At least my instincts were right on the money. They'll be alright I'm sure

"Alright. See you tonight..I love you." 

She hung up the phone with a clunk. What followed seemed like hours of silence, the faint sound of the traffic and the rain trickling outside the windows. "Mrs Kwon..he's coming home-" "I know I know..I'm just.." "Just?" "I'll be fine, Chaerin. Really. We'll sort it out when he gets home tonight." She collapsed on the couch, exhaling as she ran a hand through her hair like she always did. Realizing it was my qeue to leave, I silently rose from the couch and walked towards my room. I was caught off guard at the sound of the phone ringing a second time. Without any time to waste, I picked up

"Yeboseyo?"

"Chaerin! Is that you?! You're voice sounds different over the phone.."

"Sona? Why are you calling?"

"Why to see if your free for some bonding time, of course! I have it all planned out-"

"Wait wait, hold on. What exactly do you have planned?"

"You, Me , the Plaza! Tonight babe!"

_______________________________________________________________

"Shh! Keep it down!" I tried to say in a hushed tone," How do you plan to make this operation work?" "Easy, since my dad is out working, I'll borrow his expensive car he keeps as a spare and come get you!" "Are you crazy!? I don't want to get you into trouble Sona I-" "Stop resisting! Ugh you need to stop being all about manners and ridiculous crap like that." "Well..it's how I was programmed-" "Programmed shmogrammed,  it's all a bunch of voodoo they shove into your head! Come onnn!  have some fun with me!" I paused to take a look back at Mrs. Kwon, still sulking on the couch. "Alright, alright I'll come." "YAY!! Be there in 15!" I winced at Sona's loud voice on the other end, quickly hanging the phone up. Now I had to tell Mrs. Kwon .. I exhaled, gathering my courage. 

"Mrs. Kwon?"

She perked up, cracking a smile as I continued. "The president's computers wish to see me tonight." 

"Oh Sona and Ahna? They do? That's nice!" 

"Sona offered to pick me up, is that alright with you?"

"Of course! You go have fun, I don't need any help from you right now."

"But Master Jiyong ..he won't like it-"

" You only have to listen to me for now, Chaerin, and I say go."

I smiled as she gave me an enouraging look. "Now go, be on your way! I'll survive until Jiyong gets home!" 

Bowing politely, I straightened myself up, and with a wave, I made my leave. 

_______________________________________________________________

"The President will kill you if you crash this car."

"Don't worry Chaerin! Can't you see I know how to drive?" 

"Well yes, but you could've been smart and not taken a car worth 100,000 dollars, considering you're thinking of drinking-"

"You can drive.. unless you're going to drink too."

"No! Are you crazy. I can't drive, and I've never had alcohol or had an endeavor with this nightlife buisness." "Man, Mr. Kwon really deprives you of everything..I wonder why that is.." " I know, soon, he'll let me run free. I'm sure of it." "Keep dreaming, hun," Sona laughed," So I'll give you the run down of our little outing. I'm know a lot of regulars there, so I'll be the nice girl and introduce you to everyone. Then we grab a couple drinks, mingle, and I can show you the ropes." "How many people exactly are you talking about-" "Oh lots," she replied. I gulped. Hopefully not hordes.

"We're going to have so much fun!"

_______________________________________________________________

My nightmares became a reality as I set foot on the grounds of the Plaza. There could've been hundreds, or even thousands of people dancing and drinking to their hearts' content. I couldn't underatnd how Sona could possibly fine the people she called her 'friends' amongst this ocean of people. Bright colored lights flashed in all colors, and the room was heated as the music echoed throughout the building. "You think you can handle it?!" Sona yelled over the noise. As much as I wanted to say no and get my behind out of there, I wanted to take a shot at this. Without Mrs. Kwon's persmission I probably could of never experienced this rush.   "I'll do it !" " You can't back out now, hun! "I'm giving you my word!"  "Alright, lets do this!" 

Sona told me it would just take time, that I'd eventually get the feel of dancing. I hadn't done such a thing before, it was like a bizarre contagious disease that had everyone waving their arms and legs in a frenzy. Despite the number of strangers I had bumped into and feeling embarassed at an all time high,  I appreciated she tried to make it less awkward. But I had to rely on myself to let go of all need to be protected by a hard shell. "Yaah, look!" she said pointing the stage out to me," See them? I know them all personally! They're actaully really cool gals when you get to know them!" I watched as one by one, three girls dressed in glitzy clothes came out onto the stage to greet the sea of people. The one with jet black hair was first to speak as the crowd continued to roar at their dramatic entrance. "So great to see all of you out here tonight!"

"I'm Minzy!"

"I'm Bom!"

"and I'm Dara!" 

Their faces lit up at the crowds positive response. "You all ready to party!?" I was stunned as everyone in the crowd said yes in unison, like a giant with a booming voice towering over the floor, or a room full of spirits chanting, begging to be heard. "Alright!!" 

_________________________________________________________________

The music had gone down a notch and Sona and I made ourselves comfortable with two seats at the large bar, talking about the music, our lives and such. 

"Here you go! Drink up!" 

I scrunched my nose at the sight of the clear liquid floating in the tiny glass. "Are we even allowed to drink this? Doesn't it screw up our systems?" "Chaerin, we were made specifically to do everything a human does. I'm positive it's not going to make you shut down." It looked like poison to me, but I was only going to live this night once. I gulped it down fast, a slight burning starting in my throat. "Oh man that's strong." "I know," she laughed," but good, isn't it?" "At the moment, it makes me wish I was still underage." "Chaerin,  you're 21. Get used to this. You're not just going to sit in the comfort of Mr. Kwon's apartment forever. I should take you here more often-" "Actually-" I interrupted," I think i'd like that. I've been wanting to get out and away from the house for a while now. I mean.. with all of this! It's like there's a whole world I'm missing!"  "That's the spirit!" 

"Yaah! Sona!! The party just got started!"

I turned to fine the three girls I had seen performing earlier strutting their way towards the counter. "About time you guys! You were great, as always!" Sona stood up from her seat, rushing to embrace the three. "I brought a friend with me! This is Chaerin. She's the computer of one of the guys my dad is working with!" "Nice to meet you! What's your name again?" "Lee Chaerin!" "Ooh, I like it," the one with jet black hair replied. "So where have you guys been?" "Oh! After our performance we ran into Dong Wook and partied it up with him a little. Then we decided it was about time we go looking for you." "Dong Wook is here?" One pointed towars a cluster of girls , and I could spot in the middle, his back to us. He's..he's.. "Same old thing. Always with the ladies!" They all giggled at Sona's remark. "Lets go into the lounge where we can actually hear each other, hm?" With that, we all made our way in. 

"So do you have any dirt on Dong Wook at the moment?"

"Nope. Just the usual old ladies man we know." 

"He's good looking."

Realizing what I had just said, I covered my mouth in emarassment.

"Glad you came to your senses Chaerin ! He really is killer handsome." 

"Oh, but he's a playboy," Minzy added," Don't try to get involved with him too much. He goes through girls like I got through money. They might impress him for a while, but no one is ever good enough. Most of the time he sleeps with them and is on his way by 6 am the next morning." 

"H-how do you know all of this?" I asked, stunned at her knowledge of his backround

"I'm a celebrity, hun. Top dogs in buisness and celebrities mingle in these parts, and word gets around." 

"Yaah, he compliments me all the time," Dara added. 

"He asked me on a date!" Bom jumped in. 

"Yes indeed , he's tried to woo us all. He's just doesn't know where he's going in life, despite his big title in the President's company." 

"Excuse me," I said standing up from the leather couch I had gotten so comfortable on," I have to go to the washroom." "Oh, you'll have to go back out there. It's on the far side of the room. You can't miss it." "Thank you," I said, making sure to bow. I then turned, making my way out towards the large floor.

"Why on earth is she so formal, Sona?"

"I really don't know.."

____________________________________________________________

I had successfuly maeuvered my way around the groups of people. They party had gotten wild since we'd left, and people were getting rambunctious. I was so distracted that I didn't look to see the figure step into my path, and I collided with the stranger. "Yaah,  watch where you're going!" He yelled at me. I frowned at his remark. I wasn't going to let anyone take advantage of me "You're the one who wasn't looking where you were going!" "Calm down little girl, damn." He then turned and walked away, leaving me standing there, fuming at the nostrils. Little girl!?! "Ugh!" I stormed the rest of the way to the washroom, slamming the door behind me. Turning on the faucet, I splashed cold water onto my face, praying it would help me relax just a tad. 

"What kind of person does he think he is?!"

 

and there was more to come.

As I came back, I was unpleasantly met with the sight of the jerk who I had run into minutes before, talking to Sona and her friends. I became infuriated again, quickly turning the opposite direction. I can spend the rest of my night outside. Luckily Sona and her buds offered to give us a ride. As I closed the back car door, I was overcome with joy this night was over..

_____________________________________________________________

I had no memory of how I had gotten back to the house, nor the memory of falling asleep. the good thing about being a computer is that you're not cursed with the hangovers. As if I hadn't become a wild animal the night before, I went on with my usual schedule. I dressed, and tied up my blonde hair, then fixed my bed and other things out of place. I smiled, stretching and reaching for the door. 

"Good morning Master!"

"Oh, good morning Chaerin. We're in the middle of something so could you keep it a little quiet?"

We?

What does he mean we?

I took a second to rub my sleep filled eyes and focus, only to have my eyes widen at the sight before me

A face I had seen at the Plaza the night before, here?

Then a memory came back to me

"Yaah, watch where you're going!" 

"Calm down little girl." 

 

 

"You.. " 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N : Ohmygod I don't know how many times i'm going to apologize in my author notes IM SUCH A BAD PERSON ;_; I finally finsihed chapter 4 though.. 2 days after I originally say it'd be finished, but the deed is done. I've been super busy now that i've been back at school. So the only times I think I'll have to update are on weekends, unless I feel the need to stay up late during the week to finish a chapter. I'm really going to work at this story though ! I hope you enjoyed ! Until the next update! 

(2) db3be72ed1 - 70x50px

Cheriamb