V

Still Alive // Evolution

"YOU!" 

The moment he noticed me, he shot up from his chair at the dinner table where he sat working across from Master Jiyong. "Whoa! It's the little girl!"

"Don't call me that!  You're that guy who crashed into me at the club!"

"This girl lives with you?!" He shouted. "She's my computer," Master Jiyong said," Why, had I not mentioned it before?"

"No! I knew! It's just..ugh! No this can't be happening!" "What is he doing here?! I seriously suggest he leave!" "Yaah, you be quiet. I did nothing-" "Dong Wook, please calm yourself down, or I can change my mind to not partake in the research, you out,  and you'll have to explain yourself to the Presdident." "Im so sorry Mr. Kwon. I got carried away," he said, bowing to him. He quickly took his seat, and resumed looking over the papers strewn out onto the dining room table. Master Jiyong stood up from his chair, brushing off dust from his pants. "I'm sorry Chaerin, but I can't kick him out . He's the one I'm doing the research with. He's my buisness partner.

B-buisness partner!?!

"And what's this I'm hearing about a club?!" 

"Oh, I.." "I let her go," Noella said, entering the room," Sona wanted to take her out. I  gave her permission." "You didn't tell me?" "Well honestly, Jiyong I don't feel like I should've had to tell you, when you've barely explained why you were gone for almost two weeks!" "Noella, I swear. I was working, that's all.." "I don't buy it Jiyong. I-I don't feel like I can trust you at the moment." "Noella wait-" "No, go on with your work, I'm just being a big interruption." Without another word, Mrs. Kwon bolted from the room, slamming their bedroom door behind her. I had been with Mrs. Kwon for most of the time, and I  couldn't understand not seeing his face for so long, I knew her feelings. How badly Master Jiyong had treated her made me so mad. As much as I didn't want to step out of line, I just couldn't take being silent any longer. 

"Why did you do this?! Why did you have to make her so unhappy?! I thought you loved her! And here you are, finally deciding to show up after you've been gone for so long when she needed you most! I can't make her happy! Only you can!"  I make a break for the door, slamming it behind me as I made my way to the stairwell. All of a sudden, I felt something wet trickling down my cheeks. 

Am..am I crying?

I had never cried before. It was the strangest feeling, and I wanted it to go away, but I couldn't stop this sharp pain in my chest, and more tears streamed down my face. Is Master Jiyong a liar? Do I really not have a purpose in life? Just a computer who gets no respect, and lives in a plain, empty world? I should just plan my escape..

"Yaah, why are you thinking of leaving?"

"I turned around, to see the man I had ran into in the club. "Huh?" "I said, why are you thinking of leaving. If anything, Mr. Kwon and his wife need you." "H-how did you know I was-" "You didn't realize You were thinking out loud, did you." "Oh," I said, beginning to blush in embarassment. He took a seat beside me on the flight of stairs." Look, I don't know you, but from what I know and what I've learnt, those people consider you part of their family. There will be times when it's tough between them, and it will affect you, but isn't that how any other family would be?" I sat in silence, playing with my fingers as I processed his words. "But my master probably will never forgive me for this-" " Mr. Kwon can't hold onto things forever. You'll just have to give him time to forget it, and endure what you have to in order to get past it."  I sniffled, wiping the tears from my face. "By the way, I'm Dong Wook." "How do I know I can trust your word?"

  "Well," he said, getting to his feet," I really can't convince you. You'll just have to figure it out yourself." I heard his footsteps returning up the stairs towards the apartment. "Are you coming back in?" I paused, listening to the sounds of cars outside the building. "No I..I think I'm going to sit out here for a while. I need to think." Without a response, I heard the slam of the door echo throughout the space. I was alone..for the first time I actually felt alone. Things were tense, and I didn't want to be around with Jiyong trying to resolve things with Mrs. Kwon. The result, I've come to learn, affects me too much. I realized I had no other option but to find ways to stay out of their lives as much as possible. Could I even pull it off though? With Master Jiyong being so controlling still? All this complex thinking was making my head pound. I rested my head on my lap, letting my exhausted eyes close for a while. . 

______________________________________________________________________________

"I'm impressed, Chaerin. I didn't think you were actually serious when you said you wanted to come back here with me." 

Sona slammed her shot glass on the table,wiping her lips as she swallowed the liquor. " Yea, well I need something to pass the time y'know? Things have been bad lately, and frankly I just dont have the mental capacity to deal with it." "I know how it is," she said, pouring me another shot," I'm really fond of my Dad, and when he's busy with work, and doesn't come home for a while, it kinda ." "Could I ask a question? If it's not too personal.." "Mm?" "Well," I began, playing with my fingers," Do you ever think he really doesn't care what you think? Like just because you're a computer, your feelings aren't anything near realistic?"

  She looked startled at my question," I never really thought of it that way, but honestly, Chaerin, you do have a point. I think there is some unjust treatment between humans and their computers. But the sad truth is, there isn't much we can do about it, considering we are the minority in this generation. We just have to accept our limitations, and suffer consequenses when they happen. Although, there are some lucky people like us who's feelings are accepted by humans, and are treated well."  "..Like Dong Wook?" "Yea. Despite how he's perceived, he still accepts whoever comes his way, even if he's not with them for a long time." I listened intently to Sona's wise words for a while longer. It was bizarre seeing her so serious talking about life and everything, it was completely different from the fun, carefree girl I had met. It got me closer to a new perspective on how I saw the world I was living in, and more confidence to take it on the best I could.  

  Later on that night, when the craze began to die down a little, I found myself in the lounge with the familar faces I had met before. I was so interested in listening to the discussion of the girls, especially Minzy. She was the strong, independent leader, and a new role model for me. "So, since our Chaerin has made an agreement to come to the wild side, does this call for an initiation?" A little nervous at her remark, I scratched the back of my neck," Well I didn't actually say that but-" "Of course!" Sona exclaimed, clapping in excitement," Come on, Chaerin. We're gonna make you part of our group officially! One of us! " "Come on Chaerin!" Dara nudged. "Yaah, Chaerin don't you wanna to hang out with us ?" I felt a pinch of regret, but as I looked at all their beaming faces, I came to the conclusion that this was an opportunity life couldn't wait for. " Sure, it's not gunna hurt anyone." "Alright!!"

 "What's this about some initiation?"

Our heads turned to see Dong Wook strolling in on our conversation.  "Chaerin is part of our group now! Isn't it exciting? She's gonna be here a lot more often!" "I see," he said, his eyes darting towards mine," that's good news." We looked at each other for almost a minute, his eyes giving off a sincere vibe. It was strange, it was the first time he had ever looked at me in such a way, I found myself looking away in embarassment. "Dong Wook!" we heard a voice call," Where are you?!" Suddenly a girl with a head of platinum blonde hair stumbled into the room. She straightened out her dress, and walked over to where he was standing by us. "Aish, I was looking for you everywhere! Why did you desert me out there?" Her hands s around his arm. "Oh, I'm sorry Chanmi, did you get lost?"

  "Terribly," she said, pouting at him," I thought i'd never get back to you." "Well, you remember these girls right?" She scanned our faces, trying to recollect herself. "Why, of course! ..Except that one." She pointed to me," shes' new."  "This is Chaerin," Sona said. "Oh Nice to meet you then," she said cracking a smile." "And you as well." Disregarding my remark, she focused her attention on Dong Wook again. "Let's go dance, sweetie. I've been waiting all night," she said, pulling at his arm. "Alright. Well, nice chatting with you guys ." "Take care!" I watched in silence as the strange girl pulled him back out to the dancefloor. Who is she? "is that his girlfriend?" Sona sat baffled," I had no clue he was involved with someone.." "He probably just met her," Minzy scoffed," Just watch, he'll be rid of her by tomorrow." Strangely, I couldn't help but wonder at her identity. 

_____________________________________________________________________________

Dong Wook was at the apartment again that morning. The usual examination of papers strewn about the table, the ocassional scribble of writing on a notepad he had brought with him. He and Master Jiyong sat silently, deep in work. There were some moments of small talk, but otherwise the house was completely silent, since all Mrs. Kwon had done those past days is lock herself up in their room, trying not to be a bother to anyone. It was a painful silence. I sat in the house for half the day, staring into space for hours, until they had finished. That was when I decided to confront him.He passed by my room the moment I had opened the door, not even acknowledging my presence as he left. Frustrated I followed him, already making his way down the stairs as I called out to him.

  "Who was she?" I asked. He stopped in his tracks, chuckling to himself. "Who?" "Who?! You know exactly who! That girl you were with last night when we saw you!" Again, he laughed softly at my remark," I don't know what your talking about." "Of course you do Dong Wook. What happened to honesty! You we're pretty honest with me the other day, why not now!?" He turned to look up at me from the stairwell," Are you crazy? Of course I'm honest!" "You lying jerk!  I regret ever listening to what you said, or ever trusting you!" "Fine, little girl! Go ahead!  I have bigger things to worry about than convincing you that I'm a nice guy. I don't care."  His words hit me hard, standing there watching as he disappeared down the stairwell. "I wish I never met him!" I mumbled, stomping my foot. But then, I thought to myself why I cared he decided not to acknowledge my existence anymore.

What just happened?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: UGH, I'm sorry subscribers, I really know how it must've been a pain to wait for an update. I've been busy these past couple weeks with lots of homework and visiting family on weekends. Just know I still had you in mind! I'm really trying to update as much as I can ! Until the next update ! 

Cheriamb