I

Still Alive // Evolution

"Rise and shine!" 

"Ugh, five more minutes Mrs. Kwon, please." 

 

  "Ughh, can you please call me Umma Chaerin, pleaase," she retorted, mimicking my displeased tone. At that moment I was met with the unpleasant sun hitting my face. I whined, slapping a pillow on my face. "You know, I shouldn't have to do this for you," she scoffed," It should be in your system now, that we have a schedule." " I guess I'm not the best computer, now am I? Might as well exchange me for someone who can follow through-" "Aish, you're so harsh. We need to work on that." I sat up, staring at her in disbelief as she looked out the window of the high rise apartment. "Oh no, anything but that. I can manage Master Jiyong's complaints, but I don't think I could take trying to 'work on' my occasional  bitterness with you." She laughed at my response," Oh Chaerin, you're like a teenager sometimes. So much drama. I was just fooling around." "Well then, that was a great start to my morning."

  She came over as I stood up from the bed, putting her arms around me in a warm embrace. "I can tell you're cranky. Did you sleep at all?" " Not really. That's how it's been for a while." "Aish, see if Jiyong can do something about this insomnia. Probably just a minor glitch in your system. You should tell him that this morning." "I'm literally terrified of the DAST. It's like going to a dentists office, knowing your going to get poked at, and in the end you come out in extreme pain with dozens of teeth removed ." "Chaerin, you have to understand, they're the ones who created you, therfore they know how your system works, and they can fix the problem." "They're just a bunch of creepy old people." "Not true, but whatever you want , Chaerin. Be an insomniac forever." Without another word, she didn't bother meeting my gaze as she headed to the kitchen. A long sigh escaped my lips. "Alright!" I yelled," I'll let the creepy software people fix my insomnia! Is that what you wanted to hear!? Wait up!" 

"Morning you two," a voice said entering the room. I turned to find him dressed, yawing as he scratched the back of his neck. "Good morning, master," I said, proceeding to bow to him politely. "This girl, Jiyong," Mrs Kwon interrupted," So formal. I can't remember how many times we've told her there's no need." "If it's what she's comfortable with, then I have no problem." "We're not strangers to her like we were when we got her." " I know Noella, but it's okay if she addresses us however she wants." "It's fine," I said, sitting down at the glass table in the dining room," I'll drop the formalities eventually." Master Jiyong smiled, walking into the kitchen to greet his wife. "I forgot to say good morning to this person." He wrapped his arms around her waist, kissing her softly on the cheek. "Good morning to you too, Mr. Kwon," she said, smiling. "Sleep well?" "Yes, now go sit down."

"Yeobo?" His head perked up at his wife's voice. "Hm?" "I think Chaerin has something to tell you. Something about insomnia?" She turned to me, signaling that I should start talking. With a deep sigh I began. "I haven't been sleeping much for the past couple months. I think there's something wrong with my system." "Oh, it's probably just a small glitch-" "That's what I thought," Mrs. Kwon interrupted," Poor Chaerin, you look exhausted." "She'll be fine once I take her to get fixed." "Thank you, master." "I'm also going to take her with me to the other side of the city. President Seon Woong wanted to discuss some things with me, as well as meet Chaerin." " I'm going to be home by myself again?" I could tell she was asking for attention, the way she pouted at him like that.

  "Aigoo, You're always gone, yeobo." "I'm sorry   Noella,  I love you. But I've been busy lately. You have Chaerin here with you most days-" "I know, but I like it better when we're all here as a family." Oh lord, not her family buisness again. She's getting out of hand. I coughed in a way that they couldn't catch on to my disinterest. "Something wrong, Chaerin?" "Oh, no master. Thank you though." "Alright, we better get going," Master Jiyong said, standing up from his chair," thank you for breakfast,  yeobo. It was wonderful." "Yaah, it better have been the best meal you ever had," she pouted as he kissed her goodbye. "Take care of yourself." "Don't worry, I have time before I become immobile from this child!" she said, putting a hand to her stomach. "See you soon, Mrs. Kwon!" I said, waiting for Master Jiyong to put on his coat. She waved from the living room as I closed the door behind me. 

__________________________________________________________________________

"I don't recall taking you to the other side of town many times," he said as we sped down the streets in his car. "No master, I don't think so. Only that one time where you wanted to upgrade my software." "Yes, I remember," he said, adjusting his grip on the steering wheel. "Well, the President asked me to come in as soon as I could, so we're going to meet up with him first." I nodded, looking out the window of the car. "You know, he has computers too." "Hm?" "He's got computers of his own. Two of them." "Oh, do you know their names?" "Hm. There's Park Sona. He's had her for a while, I think she was finished about 8 months after you were. Then there's what's her name...Gyeon Ahna. A bit newer, but there isn't a huge difference between the times they were made. Both of them are 3rd generation androids." "Am I a 3rd generation, master ?" "No, you're 2nd." "What does it all mean?"

 "Well first generation androids are the oldest. There aren't many left, but they were the first models created after we acquired skills to create artificial humans. There's a gap between the first and second generations, meaning the second can perform more actions than the original first generation, same with the third, and so forth." "So they can do more things than me?" "To an extent, but it's not enough for there to be a major contrast. It's all how the systems are built. As the technology advanced, we've found ways to incorporate things into the computers, so they are more like humans." " "I see. How do you know so much about this, master?" "I wanted to have a role in helping bring society to its former state. In truth, I've had my experience with the science industry in this city. You might not know this, but a while ago, most of this was destroyed." "Did you know Mrs. Kwon back then?" "I did. Actually, we go farther back than that. A long time.." "May I ask how long, master?" "Oh, it'd be hard to explain. Not to just you, but most people." "I see." "If you're curious, I'm sure the President will allow you to speak with his computers. Ask them questions maybe?" "I intend to do so." "Good." 

___________________________________________________________________________

"Ah, Jiyong! So glad you could make it!"

I followed Master Jiyong into the large living room, where I laid eyes on the President for the first time, sitting alone in a large comfy chair. "And you brought your computer! Oh good good!" I quietly trailed behind my master as he made his way to greet the President"It's been some time since I saw you last, Seon Woong." "You too, Mr. Kwon," he replied, shaking his hand," Come, both of you. Have a seat." "How has the BCA been doing?" " Very well," the President responded.  We've accomplished much these past couple months. Combined with the help of the DAST, we've successfully created over 400 new computers and counting, resulting in the population rate increasing slowly, but surely." "Thats good to hear. Congrats." "Mm, and how about you. How are things? Is Noella's pregnancy going well?" "She's fine, just complains of aches and pains now and then. But she's got a while left." "Does your computer help her at least?"  "Yes, Chaerin is very helpful."

  "Chaerin is her name! Oh wonderful!" Smiling, the President turned to meet my gaze. "Chaerin..so great to finally meet you," he said shaking my hand. "And you aswell, Mr. President." "So polite," He said, astounded," My computers' manners aren't nearly as good as hers. I might just take her from you Jiyong." They both laughed at his joke. "That reminds me, Chaerin, would you like to meet them?" I nodded, interested in what his computers would be like. "Alright," he said standing up from his chair. "They're somewhere in this god forsaken house.. Yaah! Ahna! Sona!" There was a pause, and a small voice was heard from upstairs. "Ahna is in the middle of something! What is it ?!" "Tell her to put it off for now, we have some visitors who'd like to meet you both!" "Be right there!" 

"Pardon me, they never seem to be on top of things." Suddenly I perked up as I heard the sound of footsteps on the stairs. "What visitors?" "Ah, right. This is Mr. Kwon, a good friend and buisness partner of mine, and his computer, Chaerin." The two girls were hesistant as they came into the room, one rushing to hide behind the other, staring intensely at me. "She's decent," one said," What can she do?" "Sona, could you save the attitude for another time please-" "What generation are you, Chaerin?" she asked. "I'm second." "Hm. Well we're both third so we have a few more advantages than you." "So I was told." " Sona, perhaps you could all go out into the garden while Mr. Kwon and I discuss our buisness? I'm sure Chaerin would like it." "Alright." The two then proceeded to bow politely to their guest. "So nice to have met you Mr. Kwon," they said in unison. "And you aswell. Have a wonderful day." Sona gestured me to come, and I stood up from the couch, rushing to catch up as they made their way outside. 

____________________________________________________________________

"Where do you live, Chaerin?" Ahna asked me

"Across town. It's a distance from here, we had to drive about 45 minutes."

I had been sitting in between the two on a couch set out on the patio. Did it make sense that I felt claustrophobic? "See, since we live here, we're much closer to the Plaza. "Plaza? What's that?" "You've never been?! The Plaza's where all the nights spots are. Drinking, music, dancing, well, I personally go for drinking. But yes, it's an amazing place. So many people to meet too!" "You're not alone, Chaerin, I haven't been either," Ahna replied. "Only because you're an antisocial robot  and prefer to hang out here with Dad," Sona scoffed. The President lets his computers call him ..Dad? "No! I'm just.. uncomfortable there. Too many people for my taste."

  "Please,  It's a great crowd. Like come on, Minzy Bom and Dara, their the biggest trio who goes there!" "Well yea, they sing, and people like the way they do things, so of course their well known." I sat in silence at the two of them continued their mix of bickering and conversation. "Oh, and have you ever met Dong Wook?" "Remind me again?" "Dong Wook, are you serious. The CEO of the BCA?" "Right, I remember, he comes in ever so often to talk to Dad about buisness and stuff." "Yeaaaa." "Who is he?" I asked. "Oh, well Ive seen him a lot at the night spots. He goes to drink and get with girls, I assume. He's a big flirt from what I've been told." "Even with computers?" "He doesn't really care, as long as the girl can give him what he wants. ." "Yaah, Sona, stop being so disgusting!" "What? You never heard someone mention before?" "No! Just..can we talk about something else?!" 

____________________________________________________________________

"It's been a long process for you." 

"I know. I've gained so much over the years. Seeing society grow so well. I'm glad to help with the restoration. "

"I remember before, we only went into small talk on the events that ocurred back then." 

"Yes, about Seunghyun and the others.."

"Tell me, what exactly took place?"

Jiyong took a deep sigh, struggling to bring the memories he so badly wanted to forget to the surface . "It was a long time ago, decades and decades, probably centuries I'm not sure. I had been with Noella back then, for almost a year. Seunghyun, I didn't notice, had some kind of affection towards her. From what I had learned 10 years ago, it's was more of an obsession. He tried to her, but luckily she made a run for it and came to me. That's when our relationship started.

  Going back to Seunghyun, his obsession became insane jealousy soon after, and at our year anniversary party, he snuck drugs into my alcohol. I knew I hadn't had much to drink, so I assumed I was fine. But we got into a terrible car accident, and Noella was badly hurt. She lost her memory, and stayed in the hospital under observation for months. Then for some reason, after the world had ended, I was brought back from someplace, I'm not sure where. She was too. This time, the whole story of it all seemed to play in reverse. I can't really explain it so you could understand."

  "Oh no, I'm catching on just fine. So this is the exact research I've been thinking of. How it could be possible for human beings to have mulitiple lives."  "That's what I've been asking myself all these years. But yet again, if it wasn't for that, I probably wouldn't of been here." "True. But tell me more about this Seunghyun, and the three others. You said they had abilities like yourself?" "Yes. Unlike them, I try not to use my abilities, so I can attempt to live my life as normal as possible. But they all were out for blood, that i'll tell you." "I see. Continue." 

  "For some reason, when they had been brought back, they were all reborn with these special abilities. Seungri, the youngest I remember, was unusually stronger than the rest. His powers were uncontrolled at the time, I assume."  "Fascinating. Well, Jiyong, I really think we have a good case here." "As do I." "So," the President said, clasping his hands," I will present this information to my board, combined with the efforts of the DAST, and try to get this research up and running." " Good luck to you."  Just then, Sona entered the room, followed by Ahna and Chaerin. "You girls came at just the right time," the President said, standing up from his chair," We just finished." "Alright, thank you, Seon Woong," "Thank you so much for coming, Jiyong."

"Alright Chaerin, lets go get your system checked out."

"Coming, master." Before I left, I politely bowed to my hosts. "So nice to have met you all." "Yaah, Chaerin. Maybe you can come to the Plaza with me sometime." I smiled, then proceeded to catch up to Master Jiyong, who was making his was towards the door. "Tell Mrs. Kwon I said hello , alright ! "Will do!" I then hurried outside as he closed the door behind us. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Whew! All done with the first chapter. How was it? I had such a hard time because I was 3 paragraphs in at one point and I pressed the button to go to the previous page by accident and didn't save it ! x.x But here I am again, at 3 am, finally finished writing.. I will now collapse on my bed and fall asleep. Until the next update! 

Cheriamb