Goodbye For Now

Goodbye For Now

 

Two weeks later…

 

I have a strong grip on Seunghyun Hyung’s arm as we walk into the barracks at Yeoncheon base. Several soldiers were waiting outside, happy to finally see Seunghyun once more.

“Welcome back, Choi!”

“It’s good to see you again!”

“How are you feeling, Choi?”

“Annyeong, soldier!”

He had said his hello's and spoken briefly with a few of the soldiers. Now the two of us are sitting on Seunghyun’s cot; the rest of the barracks is empty save for us.

I finally release my hold on Seunghyun’s arm. His physical therapy is finished, but I still feel like he is weaker than normal. “How are you feeling, Hyung?”

He gives me a big smile. “Great! I’m happy to finally be outside of the hospital. But let’s start packing up my belongings. I don’t want to keep our driver waiting long."

I nod and locate his things as directed. I place the letters on the bed; his few personal clothes and panda plushy join the pile. As I’m finishing up placing all the items in Hyung’s suitcase, a soldier runs up to us. He’s out of breath and his eyes are wide.

“Choi Seunghyun, your presence is required in Sergeant Lee’s office.”

I share a curious look with Seunghyun before he looks at the young soldier. “Arasso.”

The soldier runs off and I sit down next to Seunhyung. I take both his hands into mine. “What do you think he wants, Hyung?”

Seunghyun shakes his head. “I have no idea. Maybe there are some papers I need to sign?”

“Mm. Well, I’m coming with you. Let’s go.”

When we enter the Sergeant’s office, the sight that greets us puts me on edge. What’s going on here?

There is an older man with an imposing presence who seems somewhat familiar to me. He is standing by the window with both hands behind his back. Even when he sees us the stern look on his face remains in place.

Sitting at his desk with an annoyed look on his face, Sergeant Lee has his arms crossed. When he spots us, he scowls and looks off to the side.

I see Geum Myung Dae standing near the older gentleman by the window. He looks somewhat nervous, but also resolute. My confusion mounts.

Seunghyun comes to stand alongside me. “What’s going on here?”

The older man clears his throat and looks at Seunghyun. “Choi Seunhyun, I presume? It has been brought to my attention that you may have been the victim of unwarranted prejudice. I’ve come here to verify that for myself.”

I frown in confusion. Who would have contacted this man? And who is he?

Seunghyun must be as confused as me because he says, “Forgive me, but I don’t know who you are.”

The gentleman chuckles. “Ah, how rude of myself.” He bows and continues, “I am Wonsu Geum Kwang Sun.”

My jaw drops. “Wonsu?” I ask incredulously. “As in Marshal of the ROK?”

His attention turns to me and he nods his head. He gestures behind himself. “I believe you already know my son, Geum Myung Dae?”

My eyes go wide as I look to Geum Myung Dae for confirmation. He gives me a sheepish smile.

Seunghyun speaks up once more. “So what do you need me for exactly?”

The Wonsu’s face hardens once more. He points to the only two empty chairs in the room that sit on the opposite side of Sergeant Lee’s desk. “Please have a seat.” When we’ve done so, he says, “Choi Seunghyun, I have only a few questions for you. Please answer me truthfully.”

“Neh.”

“Two months ago, were you told to join a Special Forces team on an assignment across the Armistice Line?”

Seunghyun nods his head. “Neh, Wonsu.”

“And you attempted to communicate your inexperience to Sergeant Lee, your direct supervisor?”

Seunhyung lowers his eyes and nods his head. “Neh.”

Sergeant Lee finally moves from his still position behind the desk. “Yah! It said on his papers—“

Wonsu Geum Kwang Sun whips around and shouts, “You will not interrupt my questioning, Lee!” His face is red as he angrily looks at Sergeant Lee. “Sit. Down. Sergeant.”

My eyes are wide at the tension I feel in the room. I want to reach out and hold Seunghyun’s hand, but I know this is not the appropriate place or time.

The Wonsu looks back at Seunghyun, his temper visibly ebbed, and continues his questioning. “Choi Seunghyun, tell me true. Did you ever insult or provoke your Sergeant? Did you ever do anything to lead him to take vengeful actions against you?”

Seunghyun’s eyes go wide. “Aniyo, Wonsu. I swear on my pride as a soldier of this Republic that I did no such thing to my Sergeant.”

Sergeant Lee was on his feet again. “He’s lying, Wonsu! I have—“

“HE'S NOT LYING!”

This time, it’s me who interrupts him. My eyes fill with tears. “You called him a waste!” I turn back and grab Seunghyun’s comforting hand as I recall the worst moment of my life. I look at the Wonsu. “When we all thought that Hyung had been killed, Sergeant Lee had said it was a waste of a life that hadn't been used for more missions.”

Wonsu Geum Kwang Sun has a steely look on his face as he turns to look back at the Sergeant. “It would appear that you and I need to have a serious conversation, Sergeant Lee.”

“This is ridiculous! I have done nothing wrong!” His face is contorted to an ugly color as he spews out his complaints. I see a vein throbbing on his forehead.

“Not another word, Sergeant,” says the Wonsu. “You’ve made enough of a mess as it is.”

And in that moment I can see something crack in the Sergeant. “But this is ALL HIS FAULT!”

We all turn to stare at the Sergeant. “ EVERYBODY! I have given my whole life to this country!” His gaze lands on Seunghyun, who is still seated. I step in front of Seunghyun and break the Sergeant’s eye contact with him. I give a look of pure hate.

“This little has done what? Written down a few words on paper to make money for himself? Please! There’s no honor in that!”

I let out a roar of anger and rip my hand from Seunghyun’s. I swing around, putting all my anger and strength into my arm, and bring my fist down on the Sergeant’s face. He falls down to the ground, out cold. My breathing is heavy as I look down at him. Omo! It feels so good to finally do that.

I notice the silence around me and immediately search out Seunghyun’s face. He’s looking at me in shocked surprise. Better than disgust, neh?

I turn my eyes to the Wonsu. I drop to my knees. “Please forgive my actions, Wonsu Geum Kwang Sun. That was completely inappropriate of me.”

To my surprise I hear a chuckle coming from the Wonsu. I look up and see him holding a hand out for me. I take his hand and lift myself up.

“If you hadn’t done it, I would have. What an annoying man. As soon as he comes to, I shall be stripping him of all titles.” The Wonsu lets out a long-suffering sigh. He then turns apologetic eyes to Seunghyn and gives a slight bow. “Soldier Choi, on behalf of Sergeant Lee and the ROK Military, I offer you my sincere apologies for your sufferings.”

I look at Seunghyun’s rising form. He bows to the Wonsu. “Wonsu Geum Kwang Sun, kamsahamnida.”

The Wonsu smiles at him. “Neh. Now I hear the two of you are leaving for Seoul?”

“Neh.”

“Is there anything I can do for you before you leave?”

“Aniyo.” Seunghyun offers a kind smile and then his eyes go wide. “Actually, there is one thing, Wonsu.”

“Neh, of course. What is it?”

Seunghyun looks at me and smiles. He turns back to the Wonsu. “Would you mind it terribly if I ask our driver to make a detour before taking us to the train station?”

 

 

___________

A/N: The title of Wonsu is to be the Marshal or Fleet Admiral of the ROK, the highest position a person can attain in South Korean military. ROK stands for 'Republic of Korea.'

Please allow me to express my apologies if this chapter was any bit unrealistic. I'm not sure what actions warrant what punishment and I was too lazy to do any more research beyond that of figuring out the title of Wonsu. But I like what I came up with for this fic ^_^

Please do let me know if you're liking it! 

 

Also! This is more exciting for me than for you all, but I'm just so excited that I have to share! MY COPY OF D'SCOVER JUST SHIPPED!!!!!!!!!