Goodbye For Now

Goodbye For Now

 

“Sergeant Lee,” says the soldier that walks into my office.

I look up from the paperwork on my desk. “What is it, soldier?”

“Sir, the last soldier has just returned from the 5-mile run. He was three minutes slower than the rest of the group.”

I let out a tired sigh. “Completely unacceptable. Tell him to do the Wonsan pok-gyok for 2 hours. You’re dismissed.”

“But, sir, isn’t it about to rain? Maybe we should wait until the weather is better for that kind of pose?”

I straighten up from my hunched position. I look at the daring soldier and he suddenly looks unsure of himself.

I step around my desk and walk up to him, bringing our noses very close together.

“I’m sorry, I must not have received the memo that you were made Sergeant in my stead. Was there anything else you’d like to suggest?”

“No, sir,” he says quietly.

“Then I will suggest this: do as I say, the first time I say it, or you can join the soldier out there tonight. All night long.”

I see him swallow in nervousness. Satisfaction brings a smirk to my face. I step back and in a firm voice repeat, “Tell the soldier to do the Wonsan pok-gyok for 2 hours.”

“Sir, yes, sir!” The soldier shouts before rushing out of my office.

Stupid young men. No one has endurance for a good run these days. No one just does as they’re told these days.

Not like me. I was amazing when I was a younger soldier. I could run for hours; sit in ice water for hours; follow any command given me. Noticing this, the army naturally saw to it that I rose in the army faster than any other Korean soldier in times past. Too bad I set such a high standard for these new boys to beat. All I can do is relish the fear I instill in my men. If they can’t be as good as I once was, then they deserve to fear me. Lazy, cowardly men nowadays.

And if they’re not lazy and cowardly, they’re pretentious celebrities.

Of course, this trail of thought leads me to thinking of soldier Choi Seunghyun. Damn him. Damn them all.

I hate that these pop idols and actors come to serve their country just because their managers tell them to. And even then, they do the most half-assed jobs! Despicable.

It frustrates me to no end that our government accepts these fools who think they are better than us.

I remember a few months ago when Choi Seunghyun’s manager called wanting to transfer him to the south. I wasn’t surprised. Of course he wanted to send him to a less dangerous place. I’m sure if anything bad happened to his precious little singer, he would stop making money. Obviously, I had made up the excuse that we were too busy for such a move.

I want that boy here. I want to work him to the bone. If I had to work so hard to get to where I am and protect our country with every ounce of energy I have, then I will sure as hell make sure this little miscreant does as well.

I angrily pick up my pencil and turn my attention back to my paperwork.

But the recent memory of soldier Choi laughing with some of the other soldiers assaults my concentration. I throw the pencil down in frustration.

I had come across him and a few other soldiers the other day laughing about how one of his little band mates will come to visit him.

I hated to see his smile. He thinks it’s all fun and games to serve in the army?

But then my mind clears as I remember the thought that I’d had that day. Dongmin, how could you have forgotten? I look around and retrieve the letter that I had put away in my top drawer. Of course! How did I forget?

A few weeks back I had received a letter of request from a Special Forces team. They were going to need a place to stay for a few days before they went across the Armistice Line for a special operation. Besides shelter and a few provisions, they had also asked for any specially recommended soldiers to assist them on their special op, as they were a man short after a recent mission.

At first I had thought nothing of the letter or its request. My men are all young and highly inexperienced; I have no one to send them.

But then I remembered the words of praise on soldier Choi Seunghyun’s transfer papers. His superiors had praised his ability to think quickly in new situations and impressive ability to react soundly to several different kinds of scenarios.

That type of praise is good enough for Special Forces, is it not?

I read over the letter once more. The idea I’d had while watching Choi Seunghyun laugh continues to hold appeal.

Oh, yes, I have a perfect candidate for them.

I pull out a pen and paper and compose a quick reply for the Special Forces team.

“Soldier Kim!”

A frenzied soldier pops into my office. “Sir!”

I walk over to him and I notice his eyes widen somewhat at my approach. I pass him the letter. “See that this arrives to them by tonight.”

He nods his head. “Sir, yes, sir!”

 

 

___________

A/N: Ah! You all thought the same! I am truly sorry to disappoint! But I have wanted to write what will soon transpire since I decided to make this a multi-chaptered fic! I told you there would be excitement! Of course I had to write in a villain! 

I hope you all continue to enjoy it! 

And don't forget! Your reviews are the TOP to my Dae ^_^