Chapter One

Finding Home

 

Chanyeol smiled widely as he had arrived at the amusement park. It wasn’t a huge amusement park, but the place was always full of people, remembering it was the one and only amusement park in this small town.

And today was the first day for Chanyeol to work at this full-of-happiness place. He was hired to be a man with giraffe costume, giving balloons to the visitors.

“This is your costume, you can change your clothes there,” said his co-worker, handing the costume and pointing his index finger to the locker room. “And this is the balloons, I’ll put it in front of the locker room, okay? After you change your clothes, don’t forget to bring these and you can go to your spot. It’s around the merry-go-round. If you need me, I’ll be around the rollercoaster.”

“Thank you!” Chanyeol said cheerfully, bowing to his new co-worker. Quickly, he walked towards the locker room to change his clothes.

Not too long after that, Chanyeol walked outside the room with his new costume. He kind of liked the costume, it suited him remembering he was so tall just like a giraffe. Chanyeol smiled happily, even no one could see his face when he was wearing the costume. He walked to his spot with colorful balloons in his hand. There were children waving their hand to him and he waved his hand back to them. Now he could say he loved his new job.

It wasn’t like Chanyeol couldn’t find a better job than that. Actually he could get another job, knowing he graduated with good scores. His father too had an average company he could work there, but he really wanted this job since he was a kid.

Once his father took him to the amusement park when he was still 7, and Chanyeol was really happy at the time. He was too excited as he didn’t realize his father was missing. He was confused and about to cry. He didn’t know what to do, or where he should search for his father. All he could do just sat on the park bench with tears streaming down his cheeks, waiting for his father to find him. Fortunately, a man with giraffe costume came, asking what happened to him. After that, the giraffe man hugged him, lifting his tiny body and helping him to find his father.

At the time, that giraffe man really looked like a national hero in Chanyeol’s eyes. And since that time, he decided to become a giraffe man too when he was older.

And all of this was simply because of it. His friends said that he was a fool, but actually nobody could understand what was on Chanyeol’s mind.

“Mom, Mom! I want balloon!”

“Of course, Dear. Let’s ask Uncle Giraffe if he want to give one of his balloons to you!”

Chanyeol chuckled softly. Uncle Giraffe? It sounds nice.

The giraffe-costumed guy now was squatting in front of the boy, giving him a green balloon. He was smiled happily when he saw the boy laughed when he gave him a balloon.

“Don’t forget to say thank you to Uncle Giraffe, Dear!”

“Thank you, Uncle Giraffe!”

Chanyeol waved his hand as an answer. He locked his gaze on the boy as that tiny body walked away with his mother.

I’m happy looking these people around me happy. I will never regret taking this job

 

***

 

The day grew darker already when Chanyeol spotted a guy with petite figure walk towards the bench nearby his spot and sat there. Chanyeol tilted his head. Normally people won’t come to that place alone. And looking at the expression on the guy’s face, Chanyeol was sure that the guy might have a problem.

How about giving him a balloon?

Chanyeol was about to walk approaching the guy when somebody poked his shoulder. Chanyeol turned his body and found his co-worker in a bear costume.

“Your work time is over. You can go home now, just give me the balloons.”

Chanyeol looked hesitate. He wanted to give a balloon to the sad guy, but his time to work was up. Sadly, he gave the balloons to his co-worker and walked towards to the locker room to change his clothes.

“Hey, you’re a newbie, right?” Somebody said when Chanyeol put off his giraffe costume. It was a guy with honey-blonde hair smiling at him.

“Hey. Yes, I’m Park Chanyeol, but you can call me Chanyeol.” Chanyeol said, giving a wide smile.

“I’m Luhan,” The other guy said. “It’s nice to meet you, Chanyeol!”

“Yeah,” Chanyeol grinned. Soon his eyes spotted that there was a deer costume in Luhan’s hand. “Ah, you are Uncle Deer!”

“Uncle Deer?” Luhan giggled. “I am wearing a deer costume, yes. But nobody called me Uncle Deer before this…”

“Oh, sorry,” The taller guy chuckled. “Somebody called me Uncle Giraffe and I start liking it,”

Luhan laughed cutely at the words. “It suits you, though,” he said. “But I think ‘uncle’ doesn’t suit me that much…”

“Well, yes. You’re too cute to be an uncle,” Chanyeol said with his wide smile before putting off his clothes. “So… how long you’ve been work in here?”

The cute guy put his costume inside the locker before answering, “Mmm… it’s about two months, I think.”

“Ah, I see…” Chanyeol nodded his head slightly. “You like this job?”

“Well, yes…” Luhan smiled. “It’s just my part-time job, actually. I live with my boyfriend, actually. He is a worker in some advertising company. I just take this job to spend my spare time. This job makes me happy, though.”

“Hmm, I see, I see…” Again, Chanyeol nodded his head.

“How about you? Is this your first job?”

“Yes. I’ve just graduated from college.”

“Ah, fresh graduated? Why don’t you find another job? I mean… you can find a better job, right? At least you already have a certificate…”

Chanyeol grinned, “I want to be Uncle Giraffe,” he answered with confidence.

Luhan looked puzzled hearing at Chanyeol’s anwer, but then he giggled cutely. “You’re funny, I like you!” he said cheerfully.

“I like you too. You’re cute, just like a little brother for me,” Chanyeol said as he ruffled Luhan’s honey hair. But suddenly he remembered about something he wanted to ask Luhan. “Hey, you said you’ve been work here for two months…”

“Yes, why?”

“Do you know there’s somebody who came to sit on the bench nearby the merry-go-round? I saw him once, and his face was really sad I didn’t know why. I just wonder… did he come here often?”

Luhan took a moment to think, trying to remember. “Ah! Yes, I know him! He is a guy with tiny body, just like me, isn’t he?”

The dark brown orbs in front of Luhan sparkled suddenly. “Yes! Yes it’s him! You know him?”

Luhan nodded. “He is my junior when I was in college, actually. He always came here, sitting on the same bench, at the same time, every day since a month ago.” he replied. “Why did you ask, by the way? Is he somebody you know?”

Chanyeol shook his head. “No… I’m just curious. He looked so sad…”

“Well, yeah… I don’t even know why, I don’t know him that well.”

“You know his name?”

“Yes. It’s Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun.”

Byun Baekhyun…

“Ah, I’m sorry, Chanyeol, but I have to go. My boyfriend is picking me already, he’s in front of the park now.”

The taller guy smiled at Luhan. “Of course,” he said. “Have a nice time with your boyfriend, Luhan!”

Luhan giggled as he waved his hand to Chanyeol and disappeared from the tall guy’s sight.

Chanyeol sighed and put his costume inside his locker before locking it and walking outside.

So, his name is Byun Baekhyun, huh? I wonder if he’s still here…

Slowly Chanyeol walked to the bench where he saw that Baekhyun guy for the first time, but he couldn’t find the tiny person.

“He must go home already…” Chanyeol whispered to himself. “Well, if I meet him again tomorrow, I’ll make sure he will get one of my balloons!”

 

***

 

The next day, as expected, Baekhyun came when the day was almost dark, still with such a sad expression on his beautiful face. He sat on the bench, his small eyes looked like he didn’t wish to still alive. Looking at this, Chanyeol felt like he could feel the other sadness. He didn’t know what kind of problem that Baekhyun had, but he really wanted to make the petite boy felt better. He meant, it was an amusement park! Nobody could feel sad in here!

With balloons in his hand, Chanyeol walked towards the sad one with carefree steps. And he couldn’t hold his light chuckle when he saw Baekhyun was surprised with his arrival.

“W-What…?” Baekhyun mumbled, looking at the giraffe man with puzzled look.

Chanyeol extended his hand, giving the boy a red balloon.

“I-Is that for me…?”

Chanyeol nodded his head. Of course this is for you, Boy. Just take it.

Hesitantly, Baekhyun took the balloon from Chanyeol’s hand. “You’re trying to cheer me up, aren’t you?” he said as looked it with his sad face. After a few time, Baekhyun released the balloon on his hand, letting it float to the sky.

Chanyeol gave Baekhyun a gesture as if he wanted the other to know that he was disappointed. Looking at that, Baekhyun just let a heavy sighed came through his lips.

“You don’t have to cheer me up, you don’t even know me,” he said, looking down at his lap. “You have nothing to do with me…”

After said those words, Baekhyun got his body up from the bench. He gave Chanyeol a bitter look before stepping his feet away from the place.

Chanyeol couldn’t do anything but look at Baekhyun’s back that moved away from him.

What a lonely back he has… Chanyeol thought. I don’t know what his problem is, but he must feel so lonely just now…

“Chanyeol!”

Luhan’s voice made Chanyeol jolt in surprise. He quickly turned his body to face the smiling boy behind him.

“I told my boyfriend about you yesterday, and he told me to ask you for a dinner tonight, how about it? It’s for celebrating our new friendship!” Luhan asked him with his cheerful tone.

And Chanyeol couldn’t help but nod at Luhan’s invitation.

Luhan smiled happily. “So now, just change your clothes! Me and my boyfriend will wait for you in front of the park, okay?” he said before walking outside the park. Chanyeol could see Luhan walked approaching a tall, thin man that waited for him nearby the park’s gate. He could see Luhan hugged the man happily; lovingly. He could see how happy Luhan and his boyfriend.

A slight of sigh came across Chanyeol’s lips before he turned and walked to the locker room.