Good-bye

Just like a FANTASY

Tiffany walked downstairs with a yawn.

"Moring mom...."

"Oh, morning honey. You're awfully late !"

"What are you talking about ?! It's 10:30, I'm actually surprised I'm even awake !”

“I’m just kidding ! Have seat and I’ll get your breakfast ready in a bit.”

“Mmm…” Tiffany nod and took a seat. She grabbed the remote control for the t.v. and turned it on. “Do you know today’s news?” Tiffany asked as she turned her head towards her mom. Her mom turned around to grab the salt and shrugged. “You’re always clueless..” Tiffany mumbled. “What was that?”

“Nothing ! Mom, just go back to cooking…” Tiffany lied and turned the channel to channel seven. “Wow, a commercial. Why do they even put commercials in between shows when they can just show the whole show then put a commercial ! It’s like adding a teaspoon of sugar into your coffee and then drink it then add another teaspoon !” Tiffany complained. “How does sugar and a cup of coffee has do with commercials ?” Tiffany asked confusingly. “Well, you see… sugar… never mind… anyways, do you know why they put commercials.. I mean I know that’s it’s a way to sell stuff but why can’t they put on when a show is done ?”

“Honey, they do this just piss you off..” her mom replied and set the food onto the table. “Haha, you’re so not funny.” Tiffany gave a sarcastically laugh. “Oh~ shuddup ! You know I’m funny, just admit it.”  her mom teased. Tiffany gave a glare and ate her breakfast. “Hey, how is school going for you. It’s only mid-quarter right?” Tiffany’s mom asked. “Yeah..” Tiffany replied. “So how is it?”

“I’m doing fine.”

“Are you sure? Because two days ago, I got a call from your science teacher saying that you are failing his class. Then yesterday your math teacher called and said that you are also failing his class. You wanna explain what’s going on.. Is it that new boy Drake, huh?”

“Mom ? It’s not because of him, alright. And don’t worry, I’ll get those grades up. Right now isn’t the time to do it.”

“Why ? Because of Drake ?”

“Mom ! Gosh, you’re so annoying at times…” Tiffany sarcastically said. “Oh~ My baby has a crush on the new kid!” her mom teased again.

(Tiffany’s cell phone rings)

“Omo, is that Drake?” her mom asked in a surprised voice. “No.” Tiffany lied and gave her mom a face. “Hello?” Tiffany answered. As she was talking, her mom scooted over to hear the conversation. Tiffany tried to push her mom away and talk normal at the same time. “Oh, sure ! I would love to ! Kay, Bye !” Tiffany turned the phone and gave a cold glare at her mom. “What?” her mom asked as she backed off. “Drake just ask me out ! Ahhh ! I had no idea that this was going to go so fast !” Tiffany changed the atmosphere. “Really ?! Like, you guys will be boyfriends and girlfriends or just a date ?”

“He just said a date… I don’t think he’s ready to be in a relationship yet, since he is the new kid.” Tiffany replied.

“True, true.”

“But anyways, I’m still so excited ! Fany’s got a date~ Fany’s got a date~ I could die happy !” Tiffany cheered. “I can’t believe you’re growing up so quick, yet you act so childish !” her mom said. “Oh~ shuddup. You’re just jealous you got no date ! Hahaha…” Tiffany teased. Her mom just gave a glare and ate her breakfast. “Oh ! The news is back on !” Tiffany pointed.

“Good morning everyone. I am Jenny Don and this Channel 7 News. Today’s news is about Seoul’s famous hospital’s; CEO Hwang Su Min of The Hwang’s Hospital. Recently, we heard he is coming to LA to do some business and look for his long, lost grandchild. We also heard that his grandchild is somewhere located in LA. There will be a prize given to you if you are able to find his grandchild. $500.00 in cash.”

As the host went on, Tiffany’s mom stopped eating when she heard “Hwang Su Min”. Tiffany stopped eating and looked at her mom. “Mom are you alright?” she asked. Her mom didn’t reply, but stare at her food. Tiffany didn’t know what was going on. She went back to watch the  news again. “Mom ? Are you alright ? Don’t scare me like that…” Tiffany asked again. Her mom quickly looked up at the t.v. which startled Tiffany. “Turn the t.v. off right now!” her mom commanded. “Mom what’s wrong?” Tiffany asked confusing. “Just turn it off now!” her mom stood up and ran upstairs. Tiffany turned the t.v. off and followed her mom. “Mom, would tell me what’s going on?”

“No time for explanation. Go and pack your belongings ! Hurry!”

“Mom you’re scaring me! Please stop!”

“Tiffany there’s no more time! He has come to get you! We must…” her mom couldn’t finish the sentence. “Who’s “he”? And why is “he” going to take me?” Tiffany asked and entered her mom’s room. She grabbed her mom’s hands to stop from packing. “Tell me who’s “he”.” Tiffany demanded. “Honey, we don’t have time anymore okay. So just go to your room and pack.” her mom tried to change the subject. “Lemme guess, “he” as in that Hwang Su Min?” Tiffany stated. Tiffany’s mom stopped packing. “Oh~ So I guessed right! What a surprise. And the news said that he is looking for his grandchild, I wonder who that could be?” Tiffany said. Her mom turned around. “Enough! Now you are going to pack your stuff this instant! We’re heading to Jasmin’s house! (Tiffany’s mom’s friend)” her mom ordered. “Mom, when will you stop treating me like a child. I’m 16 already! Just tell me!” Tiffany complained. “I will treat you like an adult when you stop acting like an immature! Now go pack !” her mom yelled back and started to pack again. “Mom…Mom you lied to me. How could you!”

“I lied to protect you. That old, selfish hag is a bad influence to you! I didn’t want you to turn out like that!” her mom yelled as she turned towards Tiffany. “But you’re the one who was always telling me that lying doesn’t solve anything! And look, you’re lying to me right now !” Tiffany yelled and tears started to form. “Tiffany you’re still too young. You don’t understand anything right now.” her mom said in a calm voice. “What do I have to understand? Why can’t you just tell me!” Tiffany yelled. “It’s…It’s…” her mom stuttered. “It’s WHAT!” Tiffany shouted. “It’s complicated, alright!” her mom yelled. “It’s so complicated to tell me the truth but it’s not when you’re lying to me ?! That just makes me feel so stupid!”Tiffany shouted back. Her mom suddenly reacted and slapped her on the face. Tiffany touched her redden cheek and stared at her mom. “I’m..I’m so sorry,” her mom apologized as she tried to touch Tiffany’s face. “Save it!” Tiffany gave a cold glare and ran off. “Hwang Mi Young! Come back !” her mom called.

Tiffany ran as fast as she could. She bumped into so many people and at last, she trips on her shoe laces. She scraped her knees, but the right one was more injured. The damage was pretty bad since she had shorts on. As she sat on the ground, she looked around to find where she’s at. “Oh, I’m lost….” She looked for her cell phone in her pockets. “Did I forget it?” she asked herself. Then she remembered she left it on the table when she finished talking to Drake. “Aish, what am I going to do?” Tiffany yelled at herself and stood up. “Ouch, it really hurts!” Tiffany looked at her knees and they were bleeding very badly than before. She spent a little time finding where she was at. Finally, she found her way back and stopped at her elementary school. She went to the swings and sat on them for a while. Swings help her cool her temper down or it’s either ice cream. When Tiffany cooled down, she started to walk back home. When she reached to her house, it was already getting dark. The lights in the house were turned off. Tiffany went to open the door, but it was locked. “Did mom really leave?” Tiffany mumbled as she lifted the rug to get the emergency key. She unlocked the door and took off her shoes to wear the slippers. “Mom?” she called. Nobody answered besides her echo. Tiffany turned the lights in the living room on and went to turn the kitchen lights on. The dishes they ate were still on the table. She cleaned the table and started do the dishes. As she washed the dishes, something fell from upstairs. She stopped and turned around. She rinsed the soap off her hands and head towards the staircase. The staircase was pitch black and a bit scary. Tiffany didn’t want to go up, but she forced herself to go. She turned the lights on and went up slowly. “Mom?” she again, called. She entered the first room which was her mom’s. Everything in there was gone. “Mom left… then what was that loud noise?” Tiffany mumbled. As she made her way to her room, she stepped on a piece of glass. Luckily she had slippers on or else the glass would’ve gotten her. Tiffany picked the glass up and head towards the bathroom where she and her mom’s picture frames hanged. When she turned around the corner, she saw a picture frame all broken into pieces. She picked it up and it was her mom’s. “That’s weird? Why would it all of sudden fall…” Tiffany froze and looked up. There, where her picture frame was; perfectly hanged. “Is this kinda like those dramas?” Tiffany mumbled again, worriedly. Suddenly, the phone ringed. Tiffany ran quickly to pick it up. “Hello?” she answered. “Hello? Is this Tiffany Hwang?” the other end asked. “Yes and may I ask who you are?”

“I am Dr. Aaron calling from the hospital. Your mother just ran into an accident. Are you home alone right now? Hello?” Tiffany froze like she was paralyzed. She couldn’t find the right words to say. She was lost. She dropped the phone and cried. She fell on her injured knees. As she cried, a car drove up on the driveway. You could hear the car door open and close. Tiffany quickly ran to the door. When she opened it, she saw Jasmin. “Jasmin! My mom!” Tiffany cried. Jasmin hugged Tiffany tightly. “It’s going to be alright, let’s go inside.” Jasmin said and led Tiffany inside. Hours passed and Tiffany stopped crying. “Fany, do you want to go to the hospital or do you want to stay here for awhile and gather your thoughts for a moment?” Jasmin asked. Tiffany didn’t answer but walked upstairs. Jasmin left her alone and decided to clean the house. Tiffany came back down after an hour. “Let’s go..” Tiffany said in a shallow tone. “Alright, you go wait in the car after finish vacuuming.”  Jasmin said as she tried to hurry. Tiffany grabbed her sweatshirt and went out the door. When Jasmin finished, she turned the lights off and locked the door.-

When they arrived to the hospital, they both ran street to the front desk and asked for the room. “Sorry, they’re doing surgery to the patient right now…”

“SURGERY!” both Tiffany and Jasmin shouted. “Yes, and you may not disturb them while they are in the process.” the nurse said. “Tell me what room she’s in!” Tiffany commanded. “Uh, room 219R but….” the nurse couldn’t finish and Tiffany ran up to the elevator. “Uh, I’m sorry!” Jasmin apologized and chased after Tiffany. The elevator was taking too long so Tiffany took the stairs. She ran all the way to second floor. She looked around for 219R. “Where the heck is 219R! 219, 219, 219!” Tiffany paced around the second floor. Finally she found 219R. The emergency sign was green and the doors were locked. Tiffany held onto the handles and pulled the locked door. “Open this door ! Open it !” Tiffany cried and slowly fell on her knees. Just when Jasmin came, she saw Tiffany on the ground. She raised Tiffany up and set her on the chairs. “My mom, she’s injured! Mom~” Tiffany cried as she was losing her breath. “Calm down Tiffany. Slowly take your breaths, honey.  Everything is gonna be alright. Just wait for awhile and we’ll get the news.” Jasmin said as she pats Tiffany’s back. Tiffany slowly breathed in and out. She leaned her head on Jasmin’s shoulder. “Are you tired?” Jasmin asked. “Yeah..” Tiffany replied as she closed her eyes, still uncontrollable of her breathing.

“Jasmin?”

“Yes, Fany.”

“Mom and I had a fight this morning. Is God punishing me because I was wrong?”

“Honey, you’re too innocent for God’s punishment.”

“Then, it was mom’s punishment?”

“Um..No…”

“It’s okay..You don’t have to answer..”

Jasmin sat there quietly as Tiffany dozed off into her sleep and gave Tiffany a kiss on the forehead. Then she noticed Tiffany’s injured knees. “You went through a lot already…”

~

“Fany, Fany wake up ! Fany !”

Tiffany heard a voice calling her. Her eyes opened a little and the sight was blurry. “Fany wake up!” Jasmin yelled. “I’m up…” Tiffany sat and rubbed her eyes. She forgot where she was and what situation she was in. “Oh, how long was I asleep… We’re still in the hospital…I was just dreaming.…” Tiffany stared down at her knees. “Did you bandage these?” Tiffany asked. “Yeah, but moving on.. I’ve got good and bad news.” Jasmin mentioned. Tiffany looked up at Jasmin. “The good news is..You’re grandpa found you and the bad news is…” Jasmin gave a worry look. Just then, Tiffany already knew what the bad news was. She ran inside the room where her mom lay on the bed with a sheet over her body. “Mom.” Tiffany cried and hugged her mom. “Mom, wake up! Wake up! Please don’t leave me alone in this cruel world! Mom!” Tiffany shouted. Just as Jasmin walked in, she started tears. Jasmin looked at the nurses who had tears in their eyes too and told them to leave the room for a moment. “Mom, we have still many years to go! Why are you leaving me! You’re so selfish! Mom!” Tiffany cried as she place her head on her mom’s chest. The heartbeat was slowly beating. Tiffany stayed there for two minutes and lifted her head up. “Mom, I’m sorry everything that has happened. And thank you for your supports and advices. While you’re up there, please watch over me! Mom, I…I love you..” Tiffany said as the monitor changed into straight lines. Jasmin’s crying poured like it was raining. Tiffany stood up and kissed her mom’s forehead. “Good-Bye..” Tiffany said as she covered her mom and walked to the door. When she opened it, she saw Dr. Aaron rushing to the room. Tiffany moved aside as the doctors and nurses came rushing in. Tiffany then started to run to the elevator. She entered the elevator and cried at the corner. When she reached the first floor, she ran straight to the exit. A group of tall men stood there with black suites. “My child, I have found you…”

“Fany! Wait!” Jasmin called and stopped at the sight.