Chapter Four

Invisible Ties

When you get to the part where Tiffany introduces her song, you should go here and have that play in the background ^^ When Jessica does, go here!

----------------

"Leave, before you make my eyes bleed as well as my ears."

Another name crossed off the list. Harry popped a mint  out of his rapidly emptying tube, flicking it into his mouth and catching it with his tongue. His eyes ran down to the next name on the list as the girl on the stage before him dropped her microphone onto the ground and fled from the room, stifling her sniffles and wiping at her tears. He heard one last wail before a door somewhere backstage shut, and she was gone. Beside him, Joe sighed.

"Who's next?"

"Tiffany Hwang," Harry read aloud, leaning back in his seat and resting his hands behind his head. "She seemed promising enough."

At the side of the stage, Tiffany fumbled with the ruffles on her dress. Her brows were furrowed and as she brushed a curl out of her face, she drew in a shaky breath and cleared . The microphone thrown to the ground by the previous girl came to a stop by her feet. She bent down, picked it up and strode out onto the stage with her head held high.

"Ms Hwang," Joe read something from a piece of paper, a pen ready at his hand. "What will you be singing for us?"

"We Belong Together, by Mariah Carey," she said with confidence, looking to the side of the stage to signal for the music to begin.

"All right," Joe nodded, running a hand through his blonde curls.

The lights dimmed slightly and the music began, Tiffany looking down at the floor, instantly entranced in the music. Right on cue, she began to sing, nodding her head along to the rhythm, desperately concentrating on the notes she sang.

Almost instantly, Joe turned to look at Harry with risen eyebrows. They both nodded to each other approvingly and grinned. Harry tapped his fingers against the back of the chair to the rhythm, lips pursed, resisting a small smile. She was hitting all the right notes - all she needed now was a good amount of confidence and some stage presence.

When the chorus rolled along, Tiffany dug inside her for some courage. She closed her eyes tightly and finally lifted her head up to face the judges. She opened her eyes and looked straight at them, now beginning to sway with the song. Her heart leaped inside her chest, swallowing her whole.

Finally the song was over and Tiffany drew it to a close, holding her heart over her chest and breathing in deep breaths.

"Was it... was it okay?" she asked with a sliver of hope woven into her voice. Should she leave? All Joe did was tap his pen against the desk as Harry looked her up and down.

"You're in," Joe said without hesitation. "Thank you for bringing some light into this horrific day of strangled cats, Hwang."

"I..." a wide beam spread its way across Tiffany's face, even reaching her eyes. She hopped a little on the spot, clutching the mic close to her as she squealed. Harry and Joe clasped their hands against their ears. "Thank you! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Thank you so mu-"

"Grab a leaflet on your way out," Harry leaned forward again and highlighted her name on the list - in bright pink. "It will have all of the meeting times and dates on there."

----------------

Jessica Jung.

Harry groaned, rubbing his hand against his forehead. The name on the paper below him was not one he was pleased to see, by any means. Joe looked to him questioningly and he merely shook his head and waved his hands, signalling for the auditions to go on.

As the Happy Girl pranced off the stage (and had to return a moment later to put the microphone back on its stand) Jessica inhaled and exhaled sharply, readying her voice for something she'd never expected herself to do. She quickly fixed the headband in her blonde hair and ran her fingers through the curls, mentally talking herself through every line of her prepared song.

"Hello, I'm Jessica Jung and I'm going to sing Kiss Me by Sixpence None the Richer."

"Go on, then," Harry sighed and returned back to his position of leaning back, hands behind his head.

Ignoring the rude tones and cold stares of the man she'd previously had an encounter with, Jessica signalled for the music to begin and took the microphone from its stand. She'd never agreed to sing in front of anyone before. Her parents had heard her sing as a child, and Krystal had caught her singing to a hairbrush a few times - often resulting in a heated argument. Singing calmed Jessica, however, and she felt safe with the microphone clutched in her hands.

Joe seemed even more impressed than he had been before, seemingly taken in by Jessica's surprisingly sweet voice and her confident demeanour. Even Harry was shocked at how sickeningly sweet her voice sounded, despite how icy and threatening she had appeared before. Unlike Tiffany's husky voice, Jessica's was like honey.

He hated how nice it was.

"She's amazing," Joe muttered to Harry, noticing how unimpressed and stubborn he looked.

The music faded away and Jessica bit her lip, sliding the mic back into its stand and standing with her hands held together at the front of the stage.

"That was-"

"You're in!" Joe cut in instantly, clasping his hands together. "That was brilliant. You should get a leaflet on your way out. Thank you for joining us, Miss Jung."

"Thank you," she bowed her head and waved, leaving the stage with such a deep breath that it felt she'd been holding it the whole way through.

"What was that?" Harry looked to Joe with anger in his eyes as he reluctantly highlighted Jessica Jung's name.

"She was good," Joe shrugged, smirking.

----------------

Seohyun pulled her tray along the food queue, stopping the dinner lady whenever she tried to put anything mildly unhealthy onto her plate. Other students stared at her, puzzled, as she asked for piles upon piles of salad and fruits. The woman serving her wasn't sure whether to be proud or angry.

"Thank you, thank you very much," she tiptoed around the other students to reach the end of the line, dropping a bottle of water onto her tray.

Just like every other day, Seohyun was going to sit alone. There had always been the lingering offer from Hara and Nicole, but it always seemed very empty. They had their own group of friends now - four other girls who met at their dorm often, studying and gossiping. Somehow, Seohyun just didn't fit in there. She didn't make friends quite as quickly as they had, clearly.

She fixed her eyes on a spot in the far corner of the room and wove her way around the masses of people to get there, stepping over bags and squeezing in between chairs. She was just about there when a girl popped up, out of nowhere, and bumped right into her.

"Oh gosh!" Seohyun cried out as the majority of her salad spilled out onto the girl. "I am so sorry!"

The girl was very, very pretty, she noticed. Her eyes were like a doe's and she was smiling despite the salad that covered her rosy red dress.

"It's-it's fine," she insisted, shaking what she could of the salad back onto the tray. Most of it, however, fell straight onto the floor. Their area of the diner had fallen silent, everyone's amused eyes on them. Seohyun blushed a violent shade of red.

"Oh, I'm such an idiot..." Seohyun looked around them, lowering her head in shame. Yoona giggled lightly and reaced out to comfort Seohyun, but before she could the girl was hurrying away, flustered, towards the toilets.

----------------

"Ouch," Hyoyeon groaned. She couldn't move an inch without her head banging as hard as the music had hit her ear drums last night at the party she'd attended. Even buying lunch was difficult.

Marissa laughed each time Hyoyeon made a noise of pain, remembering all of the time's she had warned Hyoyeon that 'this drink will probably be enough'. They sat alone at one table, trying to be as far out of the noise as possible, huddling in the corner. Whatever form of quietness they'd been in, though, was soon interrupted by roars of laughter when two girls seemed to have a bit of an accident with a tray of salad.

Hyoyeon hid her head beneath her arms on the table, about stupid people being too loud and how everyone should go back to sleep. She rose her head just in time to see the flustered girl panic and shortly afterwards run away. Hyoyeon could at least manage some laughter at that, hands rested on her ears.

One girl a few tables away caught her eye. She was familiar, but she wasn't sure why. Her hair was short and dark, unlike Hyoyeon's, and she had a full fringe resting on her forehead. She was looking straight at Hyoyeon, also with familiarity in her eyes, laughing along with the crowd. Hyoyeon stopped laughing. She just looked at the girl now and grinned. She may have been wrong, but Hyoyeon thought she was smiling back.

Tentatively, which was much unlike Hyoyeon, she raised her hand and waved to the girl. Her heart seemed to stop for a moment, but when the girl waved back, blood rushed through her veins again. A crowd gathered in front of Hyoyeon's view, blocking the girl off. She could just about see the girl's smile fading before she disappeared out of sight entirely.

----------------