Chapter One

Invisible Ties

First of all, thanks for the subscriptions and nice messages! :D Here, at last, is the first official chapter. And HAPPY NEW YEAR!

 

----------------

"Seo Joohyun, right?" a girl appeared in front of her before Seohyun had even entered the room. She had been tugging her suitcase through the door when she looked up to find a face staring down at her. She jolted slightly, stifling a gasp.

"Yes, that's me," she managed, finally pulling the suitcase into the room and almost toppling over it. "I prefer to go by Seohyun, though. Are you my roommate?"

The other girl nodded enthusastically. She was a very happy girl, clearly, and her eyes even smiled with her. "My name's Nicole Jung. We're roommates now! There's also Hara, but she went straight to the shower."

Seohyun held out her hand to shake Nicole's. The whole situation felt a little awkward to her - mostly, she just hoped that her roommates wouldn't mind her constant studying or, even worse, she hoped that they wouldn't throw rowdy parties and buy copious amounts of alcohol. "Great! So uh... which room isn't already taken? Is it just the three of us here?"

Nicole ruffled her own short black hair and gestured for Seohyun to follow her towards a room down a hallway and to the right end corner. "It's just the three of us. My room's on the left and Hara's is on the right, next to the bathroom of course. Yours is right here!" she swung the door open to reveal a larger room than Seohyun had expected, frankly, complete with a wardrobe, a bed, a couple of bookshelves beside the window and a desk. Everything she needed.

"I hope this is all right for you. It's pretty much the same size as mine and Hara's... If there's anything else you need, though, you can ask me!" Nicole picked at her sleeves nervously. "It is all right, right?"

Smiling, Seohyun nodded to reassure the worried girl. "This room is perfect. Thank you."

"Brilliant!" Nicole grinned, practically hopping on the spot. "You've already seen the kitchen and living room and Hara's in the bathroom... well, I could always help you unpack, if you'd like."

"I'll be fine," Seohyun had already hauled her suitcase onto the bed and ped it, the contents practically spilling out after being so confined and piled up. "I'm very... specific about how I arrange my things."

Understanding, Nicole nodded and began to head out of the door. "Looking forward to being your roommate, Seohyun!"

----------------

Unlike Seohyun, Taeyeon wasn't greeted as she arrived at her dorm. She took the opportunity to find a room, ending up in the farthest room with the best view out of the window. It had turned out that her roommates had already been and claimed their rooms, leaving rotten sandwiches and assortments of clothing. She was on one complete end of the college, facing another row of windows into other student's dorm rooms. Not ideal, but it was the best she could take. One window was directly opposite hers, where a short and adorable girl appeared to be unpacking her bags.

"Might as well make the best of it," she looked around the room, visualising where everything could go. She was going to end up making a mess in the end anyway, so she might as well enjoy the tidiness whilst she could.

First she unpacked her stack of figurines, lining her favourite manga and anime characters up next to each other on a shelf beside the door. Some of them were grouped together into scenes, like a giant Japanese crossover. She had a feeling most of her 'studying' time would be spent playing with tiny figurines... oh, she was such a child. Well, she had the height and the face - why not act like it too?

Next she did the boring part: hanging clothes on hangers, setting her makeup and hair products on the desk with a collection of books (okay so the books weren't so boring, since they mostly consisted of manga and other awesome things). Once all of that was done, two voices could be heard pretty much clambering into the dorm.

"Great, they sound drunk already," she rolled her eyes and sighed. Did this mean she had to socialise? She slid onto her bed and looked out of the window. Across the way, the other girl was looking back at her. At first she looked startled, but she waved and smiled to Taeyeon. Taeyeon awkwardly raised her hand back, before dashing out of her door to become acquainted with her roommates.

----------------

"She's so rude!"

"I know, right? She barely even said hello."

Jessica rolled her eyes and lay back on her pillow. Did her roommates not realise that she could hear their every word? What they definitely did not realise was that Jessica was not rude on purpose. She didn't have much interest in making friends, but she wasn't about to make enemies out of the people she had to live with. It was just that she was naturally cold. The Sica effect, as her parents and Krystal called it.

"Let's just wait and see if she warms up to us," one said. "Maybe she's not having a good day."

"The day's only just begun," the other mumbled, then grunted. "Fine. We'll give her a chance."

Resisting the urge to laugh at the girls, Jessica rose to stand beside her bed. There was only a small window in the corner of the room, but she leaned against the wall and began to watch out of it. Signs were hanging everywhere - signs she'd ignored previously. All of them involved extracurricular clubs. Before, Jessica would've scoffed at them. Now she realised that she had to join one.

One of the conditions of Jessica coming to this college was that she must join an extracurricular club. The Head of the college had spoken to her personally - after her record, she had to be sociable. They'd asked her what she was good at, or what she enjoyed. She'd merely shrugged.

"Not the book club or the plant club," she muttered. "Not debate club. Cooking club? Ha." Jessica sighed and rested her head against the wall. Well this was sure going to be an exciting year.

----------------