Chapter Three

Invisible Ties

Thanks again for all the subscriptions and reviews! :D I really appreciate them <3

 

----------------

One Week Later...

There had been three full days of college that Yoona had gotten through and now it was the weekend. For the first four days, everyone had been getting used to the college building and helping eachother to feel at home, in most cases. Yoona's roommates had already begun their classes on the first Monday, leaving Yoona to ponder on whatever for the rest of the day. Sometimes she ventured out to the college library and got ahead with her studies, other times staying in bed all morning and the cantein all afternoon.

Now it was Friday and Yoona found herself sat cross legged on her bed with a book opened before her. It was theater she was studying, which was no surprise to anyone who knew her, and currently they had begun on the basics. It was a bit of a bore to Yoona, since she already knew quite a bit of the basics just from general interest. Still, it was her passion, and learning about it was hardly a chore. Anyway, a part of her loved being that know-it-all when it came to her favourite topic.

"Yoona?" there was a knock at her door. "Yoona, are you not coming out for a bit?"

"Hm?"

"There's a start of year ceremony tonight," her roommate informed her from the hallway. "Didn't you know?"

"A what?"

There was a sigh. "Fireworks and stuff. Some of the older kids are putting on performances for the Freshman kids. There'll be food and games, too!"

Yoona paused, then laughed. There was the sound of a heavy book being closed, then she jumped from the bed and pulled a coat over her. "Sure, why not."

----------------

Whomever had convinced Jessica into attending the 'start of year ceremony' was in for hell, once she found them. As she munched on a stick of candyfloss, the blonde girl glared at any boy who took a dangerously warm glance towards her. Some even tried to talk to her, swiftly combing back their hair and straightening up their jackets before smouldering. Before they had even spoken, Jessica had glared daggers at them.

Actually, she was growing tired of using the same old standard 'I'm not interested' and even 'That jacket definitely doesn't suit your eyes'. This time, when a group of cocky, grinning students walked over to her, she rolled her eyes.

"Oh, there's no need for that, babe," the one in front said with slightly pouted lips. His friends grinned.

Jessica scoffed.

"Why don't you let me buy you a drink, then we'll watch the fireworks together and you and I will-"

"I'm a lesbian," she blurted out, shoving the almost finished stick of candy floss into his hands. "You're not my type."

With that, she her heels and left the startled boys to gape after her. Some curious girls had turned their heads to watch, and she didn't mind. Heck, if the whole school thought she was gay, Jessica wouldn't mind.

Just at that moment, a cascade of fireworks began to burst into the air. All around her were gasps of wonder and pointing fingers, girls whispering about how beautiful the colours were. Only one of them looked adorable, however, and just thinking about it made Jessica loath herself. One girl, with a distinctive red tint to her hair, had her hands clasped together and a glimmer in her eyes. It was that girl. The girl from yesterday.

----------------

With every bang and shimmer of a firework, Sunny jolted. She was huddled up on her bed, which was oh-so-conveniently right beside a window. When she'd gone for the window room, it had been for a nice view of the moon and the stars. One thing she hadn't considered was being huddled into a foetal position, shaking, as fireworks boomed right outside the window. Her heart was racing, leaping every time she heard it. Boom. Boom. Boom.

Window Girl?

Sunny raised her head for a moment to see a worried looking familiar girl just across the courtyard. Her Window Girl.

Tonight, the girl was waving toward her frantically. It appeared Sunny wasn't the only one staying inside, after all. One reason she'd considered going to the event was the chance of finally meeting the mysterious girl behind the window. However, as soon as she'd found out about the fireworks the idea had - excuse the pun - flown straight out the window.

'Are you okay?' she seemed to be trying to ask.

Trembling, Sunny attempted a nod. She gestured towards her ears, ashamed, and dropped her head back to her knees.

Window Girl seemed sad at that. She began making weird gestured across her head and over her ears. What? Oh! Earmuffs.

Sunny shook her head. She didn't have any sort of earphones or earmuffs that drowned out the booms. They were already engraved into her mind now, etching their way into her thoughts. 

Window Girl tapped at her chin. Sighing, she reached out her arms in a sort of long distant hug. That, at least, brought a smile to Sunny's face. Then there was a smile upon Window Girl's face, too, but still with an inch of sadness inside. Her small hand reached up against the glass and Sunny's equally small hand did the same. The two of them stayed like that for a while, the Window Girls, lost in each other's warming gaze. Each time a firework went off, Sunny would flinch and Window Girl's hand would grab at the glass, as though trying to reach through.

----------------

"Woo!" With every firework that boomed, Sooyoung joined the crowd's enthusiastic shouts and the talks of how well each colour went with the other. Sooyoung had taken this event as an opportunity to socialise, picking off each person who wasn't interesting or seemed to superficial and girly.

As soon as the music blasted, Sooyoung was up on her feet and into the middle of a forming crowd ring. This was her moment! Sooyoung loved to dance - she felt lost in it. Her parents had always told her she wasn't being feminine enough, or that her dancing was too manly. Like typical Sooyoung, she never cared.

Next into the ring was a blonde girl. Everyone took a step back once she entered, mouths widening in a large 'O' shape. Even Sooyoung was distracted at this point, stepping away to observe the girl's dancing. She was powerful and quick, flashing all the right faces in Sooyoung's direction. Some boys were actually swooning for her. Scratch that, even Sooyoung was swooning.

"Woah," Sooyoung's eyes widened when the girl finished up her performance with some sort of hair flip and pose. "You're good. Where'd you learn all that?"

"Not so bad yourself," the girl grinned, a slight smirk tugging at her lips. "At home in front of a mirror."

"Bu-" before Sooyoung could say another word, people were crowding the ring. She found herself being pulled into the sea of students, almost falling to the floor. She was going the entire opposite way to the Dancing Girl, with so many questions flooding her mind. Who was that girl? They should be friends. They should-

"Soo! Soo, look!" some girl she'd spoke to briefly moments ago was snorting, pointing to a hat stall she'd just found. "Soo! Soo, it's so, ha, so-" the girl was falling to her knees, clearly intoxicated by the alcohol older students had managed to sneak in. Speaking of older students, they'd all surrounded her and begun to pull her from the floor. Time to save yet another hopeless girl, she thought.

----------------

Seohyun had wanted to stay inside her dorm and study more, but Nicole and Hara had managed to drag her outside. They'd told her she was too uptight and boring, as Seohyun was used to, then insisted she lighten up.

"Why don't you socialise, Seohyun?" Nicole suggested, nudging her lightly. "Talk to some people. Make friends!"

She looked around hopelessly. Not many of the people around seemed friendly.

"You all right there?" a girl with a red tint to her hair, which rowed down in intricate plaits to bunches, was grinning up at Seohyun. Even her eyes were smiling, her whole face glowing. "You look a little lost."

Lost? Seohyun turned to find that, just as the reliable friends they were, Hara and Nicole had vanished. "Oh! Oh, no, I'm fine."

"Oh. Okay! Well, you look a little lonely," she continued. "Want to get some ice cream?"

"I don't like ice cream," Seohyun answered bluntly, shaking her head. "But-but, um, thank you."

"You don't like ice cream?" the girl's eyes widened like golf balls, head cocked to the side. "How can you not like ice cre-"

Before Seohyun could even form an answer, a crowd of students had formed around her new acquaintance, slowly pulling her away with them. She could just about make out a surprised 'Goodbye!' before the girl was entirely out of sight. Well that was odd. Seohyun sighed. Yet, slightly amusing.

----------------