Chapter 7 - The Train Ride

The Witch Hunt

Myungsoo spent the rest of his day feeding geese at a local park, trying to calm himself down.  

But as much as he wanted to get back at her right away, how could he do it? Sure he had her age, full name, cell phone number, home phone number, her address, her working schedule and the name of the university she attended to…but all that was befitting for a stalker, which frankly he wasn’t.

Son Naeun is too rude and too boring to have a stalker anyways. Myungsoo laughed a little. The more he thought about her, the uglier she became – especially her eyes, which by now seemed absolutely hideous. It must’ve been the morning’s hangover that made him think she was even the slightest bit attractive.

But really, how could he approach her? If he suddenly started texting her, she would probably change her number within the same hour. If he showed up at the café or near her house, even if “by accident”, she’d definitely get a restraining order on him. If he approached her at university, he would be too suspicious; plus wild rumors would spread, and he always hated gossip.

 

Perhaps I’m overreacting? He threw the last piece of bread at a goose in frustration, and the dumb bird didn’t even notice as it stuck in its feathers; other birds did however, and started chasing it till it flew away in panic.

            Myungsoo sighed and went home.

He really didn’t know what to do.

 

------

The next day: Monday.

 

“Caution, doors closing. Caution, doors closing”

Myungsoo flew up the stairs, sprinted down the platform, and made a leap into the departing train. Doors closed right behind him, nearly catching the edge of his jacket. He leaned on the doors and panted, heart racing. He hated Mondays - partly because it was the only day of the week when he had to get up so early, and partly because he was somehow always, always running late that day. It took him over an hour to get to the university. A freaking HOUR of being stuck with a bunch of judgmental old people on a run-down train at 7:30 in the morning. And the seats were always taken.

 

Extremely tired and pissed of at the whole world, Myungsoo leaned on the door as he plugged in earphones and blasted his music on full volume. He wanted drown all the noise, both from the train and from inside his head. It was too early in the morning to even think, and doing a last minute stylistic analysis on Homer for Philosophy class didn’t help at all. He would’ve just gave up on the assignment, but there was no way he wanted to flunk the class for the third time in a row and be stuck with a bunch of freshmen for yet another semester.

 

Myungsoo was beginning to doze off, when someone gently brushed in front of him to see the train-route map. The girl stared the map. Myungsoo stared at the girl, half asleep and vision hazy.

She was pretty.

And pretty confused.

And pretty familiar.

 

I swear I’ve seen her face before…

Myungsoo squinted and absentmindedly leaned in a little.

And a little more.

And even more.

Soon he was practically hanging at a 45 degree angle, leaving only an inch between his face and the stranger’s. Then it finally hit him.

“Ah!” Myungsoo gasped.

 

Responding to the sound, Naeun abruptly turned and whipped her long, dark hair hard across his face.

Myungsoo sprang back.

“What the HELL was that for?!” Myungsoo rubbed his eyes in pain.

“I’m so sorry! I–” Naeun stopped midsentence, recognizing his face.

 

“Actually, you know what? You deserved that.” And without a second glance she went back to studying the map.

Myungsoo couldn’t believe it. Yesterday's rage suddenly surfaced.

“YA!!–” Myungsoo started, but someone poked him in the back.

“Young man. Don’t yell on the train.” An older woman sitting down spoke in a displeased tone as she looked up from her novel.

“Sorry…” Myungsoo bowed a little. He moved behind Naeun and hovered directly over her.

 

“What the hell do you mean I ‘deserved that’?!” Myungsoo hissed into the back of her neck. She ignored him.

“It was an unfortunate accident, you know that!” No response. Little poker-faced Witch!

“Why, you keep grudges? How childish!” Naeun the spot, eyes sharp and deadly as always.

“I don’t keep grudges. I told you to leave me alone last time, didn’t I? And yet now you’re (literally) poking your nose into my life. Didn’t your mother ever tell you it’s rude to stare at strangers? And then you try to yell at me, as if I was the one leaning in. But as soon as you want to play the victim, you call it an ‘accident.’ It was a soft touch of protein threads across your eyeballs anyways. Why are you making such a big deal out of it? Be a man and it up.” Naeun said all that in a soft monotone voice.

 

Myungsoo was at loss of words “Be a man– What the hell?!!” Suddenly he felt the old lady poke his back again. He leaned in even closer on Naeun, so much that he could actually smell her shampoo. As expected, Naeun’s face remained static.

“And Son Naeun, I wouldn’t call us ‘strangers’” Myungsoo tried searching her eyes. He couldn’t read her emotions at all; that is, is she had any to begin with.

 “You are a stranger last ti–” Naeun looked at him strangely. “How do you know my name?”

 

Crap.

 

“Because…because of your nametag at the café!”

 

Myungsoo and Naeun stared each other down for a good 10 seconds.

 

He took back what he said about her being ugly.

She was freaking gorgeous. Even if he didn't want to admit it.

And she looked even better with her hair down and wavy.

 

Finally Son Naeun looked away and returned to the map.

She bought it.

 

Myungsoo felt relief.

Quite a few minutes passed with Myungsoo still being close to her, but he wasn't keeping track of time. He didn’t feel like moving either; he was comfortable hovering over her small figure, and the faint smell of her shampoo was strangely intoxicating. As more and more people came in, he had to lightly press against Naeun.

It must've been his imagination, but her body stiffened at his touch.

 

“Where are you traveling?”

“…school” Naeun must’ve thought carefully before she gave any information to him.

“Need help with directions?”

“…yes” Myungsoo felt a wave of sudden happiness come over him.

“Yes, what?”

“…yes, please” Naeun’s voice grew softer. She was so timid it was a little scary, but Myungsoo continued grinning for no apparent reason as he pointed at the map.

“We are here. What station do you need?”

“Palace Gardens...”

 “Oh, so you don’t have to get on another train to get there. It’s going to be the next stop actually.” Naeun nodded, with her back still to him, head down.

The next stop. How did I not notice? Time flies.

 

“Doors opening, please stand back. Doors opening,…”

Myungsoo moved away to let Naeun pass. Since they had the same station, he already figured he’d slip out the other door so she wouldn’t think he was stalking her. She made a small bow, but walked out without saying goodbye. 

 

“Wait!” Myungsoo called out to her desperately, “Don’t you want to know my name?”

 

Naeun turned. “No, I don’t.”

 

With that the Witch merged in with the crowd and disappeared from the disappointed Myungsoo’s view.

===

Author's Notes: As usual, comment, correct my grammar/spelling, subscribe, upvote lol yeah right, etc, etc. And as usual, I might make a few changes here or there because I'm a perfectionist. I'm tired and stressed, and I could post this tomorrow but I really wanted to post it now. Thank you for reading!

PS: No, this is not the end of their little war, by far. It wouldn't be a 'hunt' if it was ^^ I added the bit with Naeun stiffening as Myungsoo touches her. I almost forgot about it too T_T